The Crossbow Technical

16 replies to this topic

#1 HHKelevra

Casual

• 51 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 22:46

If anyone watches MythBusters, you probably know what this is about. Basically, they took an old WWII-era Jeep, removed the mounted gun, and replaced it with a crossbow.

I thought something like this would be a pretty humorous addon to the Crazy mod as a cheap starter unit. Only instead of a mounted crossbow, it's just a GLA soldier with a bow in the back of the Jeep. Basically it's great against infantry, but virtually worthless against anything else. To balance that out, it's faster, as well as cheaper than an average technical, and uses a much slower rate of fire.

Edited by HHKelevra, 29 August 2009 - 18:34.

Posted Image

#2 Jazzie Spurs

[Pantsu-Dan]

• Project Team
  • 4073 posts
  • Projects: Commanding the ECA 33rd Ground Assault Team.

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:04

Very OP when you use it VS GLA, can kill workers so easily :sly:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImageBlack Lagoon OST
Posted Image

#3 HHKelevra

Casual

• 51 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:33

True, but that can be said for nearly anything. And in most skirmishes you start with a good chunk of armored units anyway.
Posted Image

#4 Su8perkillr

See the red light on your chest?

• 559 posts
  • Projects: Losing the game

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:45

i likez it. and if u are killing upply stash workers, then the A.I. will rebuild them untill ur unit is killed.
Posted Image

#5 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 07:09

View PostHHKelevra, on 28 Aug 2009, 10:33, said:

True, but that can be said for nearly anything. And in most skirmishes you start with a good chunk of armored units anyway.

What about people who play as GLA with no starting units, if the Crazy Mod as an option to turn it off?

View Postsu8perkillr, on 28 Aug 2009, 14:45, said:

then the A.I. will rebuild them untill ur unit is killed.

And by camping in front of the Supply Stash(es) with a single Crossical (Whatever you wanna shortname it) you essentially deny the enemy cash, and while you're at it, your other Crossbow Technicals kill off the other Workers halting construction.

I assuming you'd be concentrating on rushing to build Crossbow Technicals before the other guy can build/finish building his Arms Dealer.
Posted Image

#6 JJ

Half dead member

• Project Leader
  • 3294 posts
  • Projects: Real life things, personal RA3 mod

Posted 28 August 2009 - 07:34

Umm isn't that the same with the Technical, technically (pun intended)? You can theoretically park your Technical in front of a stash and just kill any Worker around, but you can't, because the opponent will try to stop you from doing that.

#7 HHKelevra

Casual

• 51 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:18

It's the same with any anti-infantry unit. Even if you're using China and get a Gatling/Dragon tank at the start, you can take out workers effortlessly.

But with this, you'll generally need an Arms Dealer first, by which point the opponents should have a good amount of Anti-Armor soldiers (or just his starting tanks) to counter them with.

Edited by HHKelevra, 28 August 2009 - 08:20.

Posted Image

#8 Su8perkillr

• 559 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 21:49

thats true. and: an A.I. will always start building a barracks, and like 5 rocket/RPG/rocket hunter soldiers
Posted Image

#9 source code

Casual

• 50 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 21:49

but rushes aint supposed to defeat someone anyway and thats what every rts maker/player should know its just to give you the advantage(they have to rebuild the supplie stash while you keep on developing

#10 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 01:23

View Postsource code, on 29 Aug 2009, 5:49, said:

but rushes aint supposed to defeat someone anyway

Am I seeing this wrongly? If you fail in your rush you're in a very precarious position so it's used to WIN a game early, either the rush works, or it fails.
Posted Image

#11 Su8perkillr

• 559 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 10:28

well... i think that when u are coming in with ur technicals/flame tanks/gatt tanks/crossbow technical/humvee/i think u guys get it now, then the A.I. already has A. a stinger site. B. a barracks. C. a arms dealer and D. some AT, AA and AI units
Posted Image

#12 HHKelevra

Casual

• 51 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:41

I really don't see to much imbalance in this at all.

Typical scenario: GLA vs GLA

-Both sides start with a some Rebels, some RPGs, 2 normal Techs, and 3 Scorpions.
-Both sides establish a supply center/barracks.
-Attacker builds an Arms Dealer, and starts creating Crossbow Techs.
-Attacker sends Crossbow Techs to enemy supply stash and starts harassing workers.
-Defender notices the attack
-Defending Scorpion gets promotion.

The story would go the same with ANY unit you can access early on.

Edited by HHKelevra, 29 August 2009 - 11:43.

Posted Image

#13 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:52

View PostHeartBreak1, on 28 Aug 2009, 4:04, said:

Very OP when you use it VS GLA, can kill workers so easily :duh:

By that logic you have to remove Technical, Humvee and Troop crawler as well as all other anti infantry units.

#14 Jordan

Crazy Modder

• Gold Member
  • 2704 posts
  • Projects: C&C Crazy Mod Leader

Posted 29 August 2009 - 18:06

I don't understand why this turned into a huge balance discussion. And I see no problems with this idea at all.

Technicals are already good against infantry, and very weak against tanks. They already act as the early game scouting unit, as they take all of five seconds to build from an Arms dealer, and cost only $500.

This mod would basically be a weapon replacement. It would do about the same damage per second, as well as have a reload time between shots.

Also, there aren't starting units in this mod, and I don't have plans for starting units anytime soon.

-Jordan
C&C Crazy Mod Version 0.55
^^^^The True Crazy Mod Starts Here^^^^
Posted Image

#15 HHKelevra

Casual

• 51 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 18:36

Well that clears things up.

I figured that since it was a crossbow instead of a machine gun, the fire would be significantly slower, but does much more damage to infantry per shot.

And they could later be upgraded to fire explosive, flaming, or toxin-tipped arrows.

Edited by HHKelevra, 29 August 2009 - 18:36.

Posted Image

#16 Su8perkillr

• 559 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:41

or all four :P GLA makes MOABlike, toxic firestorm explosion :P im happy 8|
Posted Image

#17 source code

Casual

• 50 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 12:25

View PostDestiny, on 29 Aug 2009, 1:23, said:

View Postsource code, on 29 Aug 2009, 5:49, said:

but rushes aint supposed to defeat someone anyway

Am I seeing this wrongly? If you fail in your rush you're in a very precarious position so it's used to WIN a game early, either the rush works, or it fails.

a rush is ment to like derstroy there supply station and thus they have to rebuild.
while there rebuilding you have a arm dearler/ war fac mreaning you have more forces wich wil mean you get the advantigeor you must be saying that if you rush with just some units to keep the enemy occupied you win.. i'd rather doubt it

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users