Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:08

View PostIon Cannon!, on 17 Sep 2009, 11:40, said:

View PostNikola Tesla, on 17 Sep 2009, 11:35, said:

Team Fortress Blog said:

As with the first Left 4 Dead game, most of the TF2 team has moved over to help out Left 4 Dead 2 get through its final shipping steps. This time around, though, we've improved our process a little to ensure we can keep some people on TF2, enabling us to continue doing TF2 updates. We've been a bit slow on updating here, and there's plenty of stuff to talk about, so we might as well jump right in.

First off, a quick update on where we are with the character model and animation sources. After we got over our excitement of releasing them, we ran into a couple of problems:

* All the character modelers & animators are incredibly busy working on L4D2.
* None of our new .DMX file format tools have been released in the SDK yet, which are integral to working with these sources.

As a result, it's taken a bit more work than we'd originally intended. And to make sure that the work is being done right, we decided it'd be best to get one model out, if only so we could get your feedback on it before we went ahead and got the rest done. So today we're updating the Source SDK to include all the model and animation source for the Heavy. Take a look at it, and be sure to send us your thoughts.

Source.

Now this is just great for TF² players, I guess we won't have any update until L4D2 is commercialized :D
I'm a in L4D2 boycott mood now :rolleyes:

Valve have been releasing shitloads of free content for TF2 since its release. If people start to bitch that they won't get any for 3 months or so, then that just reaffirms the premise that people are never happy.

You're realizing it was irony concerning messages of that kind on the steam forums, do you ? :rolleyes:
And everyone knows TF² devs are needed to add new hats in L4D2 :read:

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#27 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:20

View PostIon Cannon!, on 17 Sep 2009, 12:46, said:

New gamemodes, maps, achievements, weapons. The only thing they haven't added yet is more classes. I would class that as a shitload of new content.

It isn't the norm to pay a one off fee, then get access to loads of free DLC. DLC is normally overpriced IMO, which I why I prefer full blown expansions. However as valve have so massively supported TF2 every moron now expects this to apply to everything.

How many of the maps are made by Valve? How many gamemodes and achievements were proposed by the community? It seems like the community is doing half of the work not Valve

And i wasnt bitching about DLC's but about Valve's uber dollar to euro conversion
Posted Image

#28 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:39

View PostTehKiller, on 17 Sep 2009, 13:20, said:

New gamemodes, maps, achievements, weapons. The only thing they haven't added yet is more classes. I would class that as a shitload of new content.

It isn't the norm to pay a one off fee, then get access to loads of free DLC. DLC is normally overpriced IMO, which I why I prefer full blown expansions. However as valve have so massively supported TF2 every moron now expects this to apply to everything.

How many of the maps are made by Valve? How many gamemodes and achievements were proposed by the community? It seems like the community is doing half of the work not Valve

And i wasnt bitching about DLC's but about Valve's uber dollar to euro conversion

No idea, enlighten me. Besides, thats the way it normally goes. Developer releases game, modders create free content. Having developers release free content is a very new thing.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#29 deltaepsilon

Delta Operator

• Member Test
  • 859 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:59

every moron now expects this to apply to everything.

Yeah, why not? I certainly wouldn't mind.
----------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------

The name's Bond.

Covalent Bond.

#30 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:39

View Postdeltaepsilon, on 18 Sep 2009, 9:59, said:

every moron now expects this to apply to everything.

Yeah, why not? I certainly wouldn't mind.

Valve is a company, to make profit they have to sell things. Same goes for every other games company. Thankfully valve have become so successful they publish their own games / run the steam portal. This means they can make the games to their own liking and that there is nothing to rush them. Because they cut out the publisher Valve also gets a much larger cut of the profits. This is why they can release free DLC. However Valve is still a company, to make money and thus pay its workers it needs to sell things. Very rarely do you get something for nothing. Besides with a Valve product you can pretty much guarentee your going to get your moneys worth.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#31 KiraSama

Vago Profesional

• 2145 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 22:53

View PostIon Cannon!, on 17 Sep 2009, 12:40, said:

If people start to bitch that they won't get any for 3 months or so, then that just reaffirms the premise that people are never happy.

In all honestly, the only thing it piss me a lot about L4D2 is how after a two years since Episode 2 the only thing we know about EP3 are: they are "working" on it and a piece of art work, thats all we know for 2 years

meanwhile in that time they made L4D and we will have L4D2 before they actually say something about they "flag title"

the fact Episodes were made so we could play "HL3" without waiting 20 years is a little pointless now than they made a full game in less time than a episode

i am still pissed at the whole incompleted drop system and the updates are nice and that stuff, but how much imbalance and untested they are feel like they are doing them just because they say they are going to doing them instead of actually want to do something

This is why they can release free DLC. However Valve is still a company, to make money and thus pay its workers it needs to sell things. Very rarely do you get something for nothing.

TF2 sales get a increase of 20% during every update, so they arent technically making something in exchange for nothing, they just made a bet from a new business model and it worked
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users