#1 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 01 November 2009 - 20:50

A very interesting article I found :D
I'll quote a part of it here:

Ok, maybe not every country, but with at least 12 different sockets in widespread use it sure as hell feels like it to anyone who's ever traveled. So why in the world, literally, are there so many? Funny story!

The more you look at the writhing orgy of plugs in the world, the sillier it seems. If you buy a phone charger at the airport in Florida, you won't be able to use it when your flight lands in France. If you buy a three-pronged adapter for le portable in Paris, you might not be able to plug it in when your train drops you off in Germany. And when your flight finally bounces to a stop on the runway in London, get ready to buy a comically large adapter to tap into the grid there. But that's cool! You can take the same adapter to Singapore with you! And parts of Nigeria! Oh yeah, and if said charger doesn't support 240v power natively, make sure you buy a converter, or else it might explode.

And aside from a few oases, like the fledgling standardization of the Type C Europlug in the European Union, this is the picture all across the world.

I'd hesitate to refer to power sockets as a part of a country's culture, because they're plugs—they don't really mean anything. But in the sense that they're probably not going to change until they're forcefully replaced with something wildly new, it's kind of what they are.

Rest of the article is here
Posted Image

#2 WNxMastrefubu

Man, myth, and legend

• 1136 posts
  • Projects: diji

Posted 02 November 2009 - 02:47

true, hard to believe what could replace it though, its used so widly
Attached Image

#3 RaiDK

I have an Energon Axe. Your argument is invalid.

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:40

Someone would have to make a new standard with some sort of clear advantage over what everyone else already uses.

View PostMasonicon, on 17 Oct 2009, 13:44, said:

According to Conspiracy theories in internet, sci-fi and fantasy are real!

#4 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:35

I like how the socket at the top speaks Dutch and the American plug goes WTF? :D

Edited by CodeCat, 02 November 2009 - 09:37.

CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#5 Brad

Quick! STAB YOURSELF FOR SAFETY!

• Member Test
  • 1467 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 14:52

If all the plugs were replaced by a universal plug, it would have to be a comprimise between the two main power supplies aswell.
You almost did, didn't you?

#6 BeefJeRKy

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 16:39

Actually it would be easier to choose one voltage standard over the other that way a good number or appliances/products still function. If we moved to something weird like 150V EVERYTHINg would have to be changed.
Posted Image

#7 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 16:47

Also, I believe the article said that they later realised 120V was a mistake. So most likely the standard will be 230V.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#8 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 21:22

Lol, which country is that using H - Type ? Jordan ? or a part of it ? XD

#9 BeefJeRKy

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 21:31

Israel actually
Posted Image

#10 H4mm3r

Casual

• 91 posts
  • Projects: Freelance modeling and looking forward to being a Gmod

Posted 03 November 2009 - 21:32

I withdraw my previous comment.

Posted Image

Huh, doesn't look much different than from the ones i use in america

Edited by H4mm3r, 03 November 2009 - 23:12.

Posted Image

#11 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 21:40

View PostGabriel Angelos, on 3 Nov 2009, 21:22, said:

Lol, which country is that using H - Type ? Jordan ? or a part of it ? XD

You called?

Honestly, I like the chunkiness of British plugs - they're a little unwieldy, but they do get the job done, and it's almost impossible to break one, something I've done to many an American/Brazillian plug.

View PostH4mm3r, on 3 Nov 2009, 21:32, said:

*explodes*

Damn i forgot my charger for my uranium rod cooler, oh sh-

This isn't in the SYD mate. You need to be very careful where you spam - you've done it once of twice outside of SYD before iirc. Consider this a verbal warning to keep spam where spam should be.
For there can be no death without life.

#12 JJ

Half dead member

• Project Leader
  • 3294 posts
  • Projects: Real life things, personal RA3 mod

Posted 06 November 2009 - 14:25

Nice read. :)

And yea, British plugs are good, but then they're the only plugs I ever use anyway.

#13 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 19:09

View PostJJ, on 6 Nov 2009, 22:25, said:

Nice read. :xD:

And yea, British plugs are good, but then they're the only plugs I ever use anyway.

Because we got colonized by the Brits. :)
Posted Image

#14 Kris

<Custom title available>

• Project Team
  • 3825 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 19:12

The philippines uses Type A&B plugs as standard and Type G as a brother and we pretty much mix and match everything :)

Edited by Kris, 06 November 2009 - 19:20.

#15 JJ

Half dead member

• Project Leader
  • 3294 posts
  • Projects: Real life things, personal RA3 mod

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:39

View PostDestiny, on 7 Nov 2009, 3:09, said:

View PostJJ, on 6 Nov 2009, 22:25, said:

Nice read. 8|

Because we got colonized by the Brits. :)

Well duh, we wouldn't be using American plugs now would we? 8|

(:xD:)

#16 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 15:14

Why not? I have a couple of stuff with American plugs and a Type D/M plug for my broken/never used air conditioner. :D
Posted Image

#17 BeefJeRKy

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 18:38

Tbh, I just think the EU plug is simplest. And a weird thing I discovered is an Israeli plug (type H) at school which is funny considering how much of a big deal it would be to find such a thing here. I think it's a pre-war relic as the Physics building is in desperate need of renovation.
Posted Image

#18 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 22:28

I've seen US plugs a few times. Each time I was amazed by how tiny those things are.

Edited by CodeCat, 08 November 2009 - 22:29.

CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 01:24

Well smaller is better, right? From what I can see you need to find something to poke the top slot/hole in British plugs to allow American plugs to be inserted in the bottom two slots...I did that once and the entire house lost power. ;) But yeah, adapters are there for something.
Posted Image

#20 The Wandering Jew

Veteran

• 464 posts
  • Projects: No current project, just to ask inane questions :p

Posted 09 November 2009 - 04:55

View PostDestiny, on 9 Nov 2009, 9:24, said:

Well smaller is better, right? From what I can see you need to find something to poke the top slot/hole in British plugs to allow American plugs to be inserted in the bottom two slots...I did that once and the entire house lost power. ;) But yeah, adapters are there for something.

For plugging reasons, I guess. Smaller plugs can accomodate more than two in-line.

Others:

Correct me if I'm right...

Japan=120V, single phase
ASEAN region=220V, single phase
US=230-240V, single phase

Is there a power plant that supply 3-phase for homes? Because if it were, then the plug would be impossible. You'll need a no-fuse breaker for that. :musicnotes:
Posted Image
"Once upon a time in 1700's, Imperial Britain had its share of terrorists...And they were called Americans."

#21 BeefJeRKy

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 09:36

View PostThe Wandering Jew, on 9 Nov 2009, 6:55, said:

View PostDestiny, on 9 Nov 2009, 9:24, said:

For plugging reasons, I guess. Smaller plugs can accomodate more than two in-line.

Others:

Correct me if I'm right...

Japan=120V, single phase
ASEAN region=220V, single phase
US=110V, single phase

Is there a power plant that supply 3-phase for homes? Because if it were, then the plug would be impossible. You'll need a no-fuse breaker for that. :musicnotes:

Fixed. And you can install tri-phase plugs at home (usually for washing machines, boilers, etc...) But these tend to be hidden from view.
Posted Image

#22 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 13:30

View PostJRK, on 9 Nov 2009, 17:36, said:

But these tend to be hidden from view.

How come? They're not going to used to power miniguns or missile silos...;)
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users