Command and Conquer, Dead?

24 replies to this topic

#1 Nem

Director

• Gold Member
  • 1417 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 23:20

Kotaku has put up a news story sighting that EA Los Angeles could be among the EA studios to be shut down.

Shocking, and horrible news indeed. I suppose we will never have our Generals 2.

#2 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 10 November 2009 - 23:23

You mean, we will never get a rushed game that will never meet our expectations? 8|
Why the heck would they shut them down, C&C is a biiig franchise

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 Camille

girl eater

• Project Team
  • 2351 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 23:28

You mean, we will never get a rushed game that will never meet our expectations? tounge.gif
Why the heck would they shut them down, C&C is a biiig franchise

maybe not EA big, or at least, not any more.

Edited by Camille, 10 November 2009 - 23:29.

it's time to wake up

#4 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 23:33

Maybe we should start a boycott group of EA's alleged plans to cut the franchise.....wait.....wat?

#5 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 00:01

I expect the next BCPT to be rather gloomy if that's true. I really hope EALA doesn't close down. I mean, if it wasn't for C&C most of us wouldn't be here in the first place 8|
Posted Image

#6 MR.Kim

Insane Solider

• Member Test
  • 2740 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 00:08

It's not true shut down EA studios, they're "cost reduction plan" and 1500 job cuts from next year. Link: http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/ho...amp;newsLang=en

It's not easly shun down for EA and still big company. Of coures, it's about business and all happen times about economic.

Edited by MR.Kim, 11 November 2009 - 00:09.

#7 Thorazine

Semi-Pro

• 281 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 00:45

Yeah, doesn't mean the end of CnC. just the end of the current team working on it. Who knows, maybe the next team they gather will bring CnC back to a rocks throw of its roots.
Time will tell.
Sooner or later, time will tell.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
This is my signature. If you like it, good. If you don't, I don't care.
"The walls we build around us to keep out the sadness also keep out the joy" -Jim Rohn
Final Fantasy VII - Voices of the Lifestream

#8 Dr. Knickers

<Custom title available>

• Project Team
  • 506 posts
  • Projects: CnC 3: ConRed, CORE

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:23

After looking at CnC 4 screenshots, I almost think that the devs deserve this.
Posted Image

#9 RaiDK

I have an Energon Axe. Your argument is invalid.

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:41

'Over a dozen' projects were dropped... We'll just have to wait and see which those were.

I wouldn't have thought C&C4 would have since it's a 'low risk' project.

View PostMasonicon, on 17 Oct 2009, 13:44, said:

According to Conspiracy theories in internet, sci-fi and fantasy are real!

#10 Warbz

IRC is just a multiplayer notepad.

• Project Team
  • 4646 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:12

Hold up.

Sources tell Kotaku that the team working on Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight was warned of its fate today, with almost the entire team expected to be let go after the real-time strategy game ships some time in 2010.

Surely that means they are going to finish the game before disbanding?

Posted Image

#11 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:24

Well yeah, it says so in the quote. I think Nem is complaining about how the CnC team won't be there to make the mythical Generals 2.

#12 Mbob61

I may or may not be iron man!

• Project Team
  • 3068 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict

Posted 11 November 2009 - 14:43

I don't really see this as too much of a bad thing given the downward spiral the C&C series is in right now.
However, lets hope they put C&C as a whole on hold for a few years until they can create something good.
I don't want the C&C series to die but just to be put on hold for a bit.
Shame to see Pandemic studios hit so hard though :(

Mike

Edited by Mbob61, 11 November 2009 - 14:45.

Thanks to Pav3d for the awesome sigs
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 Brad

Quick! STAB YOURSELF FOR SAFETY!

• Member Test
  • 1467 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 17:21

Keep in mind the information is yet to be verified:

We've reached out to Electronic Arts to verify these latest details, but have not yet heard back.

This sounds like some serious speculation, and if true, has huge implications for the future of EA.

(To be honest, I'm suprised they kept the sport games makers - no wait, I'm not.)
You almost did, didn't you?

#14 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 11 November 2009 - 19:19

Guys this isn't the death of C&C, only the death of EA LA. This is good news IMO, as EA will potentially assign C&C to a fresh new developer who may even choose to reboot the series. C&C 4 will be the last C&C from this studio. As for Generals 2? It's up to the new developers to work on it.
Posted Image

#15 Golan

<Charcoal tiles available>

• Member Test
  • 3300 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 19:52

Yeah, like they did with TIBERIUM. We ( and the EA bosses) all know how that one turned out.
Now go out and procreate. IN THE NAME OF DOOM!

#16 Red

Smell No Evil!!

• 581 posts
  • Projects: Nothing but posting...

Posted 13 November 2009 - 07:33

So the entire C&C team that is working on C&C4 is going to be fired.. SO what!?

What I would like to hear is: EA hired a new team and they make a better C&C game (which I doubt it would be better..)

What I would love to hear: EA sold C&C to Petroglyph Games

What I would really hate to hear: After EA fired the current team and hired a new one and they end up screwing it up more then usual!

What I would make me really piss-off!: C&C is dead.

View PostNem, on 11 Nov 2009, 7:20, said:

Shocking, and horrible news indeed. I suppose we will never have our Generals 2.

Okay A little bit off-topic: Is it true that C&C Generals was made-and-develop by Westwood Studios? I've read about C&C at Wiki and look over some old concepts at CnC Source and some of them had Westwood's logo before they were renamed to Westwood Pacific A.K.A EA Pacific.

Edited by Red, 13 November 2009 - 07:34.

Fav. mod:
-SWR
-Contra
-Tiberium Essence

Got juice!?

#17 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:40

The original Command and Conquer game was the product of Westwood Studios, however EA bought them out and absorbed [killed] them.

#18 Kris

<Custom title available>

• Project Team
  • 3825 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:46

View PostRed, on 13 Nov 2009, 15:33, said:

Okay A little bit off-topic: Is it true that C&C Generals was made-and-develop by Westwood Studios? I've read about C&C at Wiki and look over some old concepts at CnC Source and some of them had Westwood's logo before they were renamed to Westwood Pacific A.K.A EA Pacific.

It's true, C&C Generals was their final C&C they worked on before disbanding and creating petroglyph. ZeroHour was the final attemp of the remaining Westwood guys to implement the features they dropped for vGenerals before joining petroglyph or moving to other studios. They never managed to properly implement some of the features so ZeroHour feels so unfinished.

Thats why when you go to their forum, petroglyph devs know lots of information about dropped C&C Generals features.

Edited by Kris, 15 November 2009 - 04:49.

#19 WNxMastrefubu

Man, myth, and legend

• 1136 posts
  • Projects: diji

Posted 15 November 2009 - 23:45

it'd b a shame if they didnt make a generals 2
Attached Image

#20 BeefJeRKy

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 07:38

View PostWNxMastrefubu, on 16 Nov 2009, 1:45, said:

Tbh I wouldn't care if EA LA didn't make Gens 2. Hopefully some other developer will work on it.
Posted Image

#21 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 12:15

As far as I'm concerned, the C&C series was dead after Red Alert 1. Gens and ZH are the only other good games in the series, but not real C&C games. Everything else, especially the newer ones, look so bad I find them quite unbearable.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#22 Shirou

Humble darkspawn

• 3328 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 17:37

View PostJRK, on 16 Nov 2009, 8:38, said:

Tbh I wouldn't care if EA LA didn't make Gens 2. Hopefully some other developer will work on it.

There is a discrepancy to be noted. EALA also made Generals. On the contrary with the Red Alert and Command & Conquer series, in which they had to live up to the standards of the original games made by Westwood.

Generals is made by EA and it shows that EALA used to be capable of making good games. Due to this, it is unlikely that Generals 2 (if ever) will not be made by EA. It also gives us some more hope that they can make a good game of it. After all, they did make the first one as well.

And no, I don't want to hear why contradictionary to my exclamations, Generals should suck, because admit it, without it you wouldn't be here
Posted Image

#23 Golan

<Charcoal tiles available>

• Member Test
  • 3300 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 17:42

When Generals was made, EALA was mainly Westwood studios plus a couple additional guys tacked on it. The EALA team today doesn't have many WW devs left, if any at all.
Now go out and procreate. IN THE NAME OF DOOM!

#24 BeefJeRKy

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 21:37

View PostShock, on 17 Nov 2009, 19:37, said:

View PostJRK, on 16 Nov 2009, 8:38, said:

There is a discrepancy to be noted. EALA also made Generals. On the contrary with the Red Alert and Command & Conquer series, in which they had to live up to the standards of the original games made by Westwood.

Generals is made by EA and it shows that EALA used to be capable of making good games. Due to this, it is unlikely that Generals 2 (if ever) will not be made by EA. It also gives us some more hope that they can make a good game of it. After all, they did make the first one as well.

And no, I don't want to hear why contradictionary to my exclamations, Generals should suck, because admit it, without it you wouldn't be here

I was basing my opinion on EALA's work on TW, KW and RA3. Never brought Generals in this thought.
Posted Image

#25 Zhao

That pro guy.

• Project Team
  • 619 posts
  • Projects: Situation Zero

Posted 01 December 2009 - 14:50

Sadface..... You cant beat the orginal i guess D;

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users