Update announcements

22 replies to this topic

#1 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 11 November 2009 - 15:33

Now I know that update announcements for media updates are forbidden. How about some sort of publicity, some kind of banner under the "Fallout Studios forums latest news" or even just a bit of text to say "X Mod's latest update!"

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 15:38

If you're referring to adding an additional feature to the forum code that adds another area of news for 'lesser announcements' then that is a little complicated and outside of my webbing abilities. Bob 'may' be able to conjure that up and I say 'may' with extreme prejudice as it seems likely that it will require work to create the interface, more than the just the table to hold the information.

#3 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 15:50

The question is, however, is it worth the effort? We'll soon be getting mod updates on the website anyway.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#4 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 15:56

View PostCodeCat, on 11 Nov 2009, 15:50, said:

The question is, however, is it worth the effort? We'll soon be getting mod updates on the website anyway.

Soon?

Project leaders can post mod updates now
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#5 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 15:57

TBH that is a mute point. I already post as many mod updates on the website as I can remember to. Although none of the mod teams ask for it. I think Pav3d is asking for there to be somewhere on the forum that indicates an update has been released. Unless we integrate the website updates into the forum (pretty much in the way Pav3d has asked us to) anyone that skips the site won't know by looking at the forum main page.

#6 Brad

Quick! STAB YOURSELF FOR SAFETY!

• Member Test
  • 1467 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 18:11

This simple idea could subsitute - it could link to the news on the website, rather than the forum.
(Look at the bit underneath the logo)
Posted Image
You almost did, didn't you?

#7 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 11 November 2009 - 18:25

Is that forum IPB based?
Posted Image

#8 Pav:3d

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 18:27

View PostBrad, on 11 Nov 2009, 18:11, said:

This simple idea could subsitute - it could link to the news on the website, rather than the forum.
(Look at the bit underneath the logo)
Posted Image

That is pretty much what I was asking, just an extra bit of text for smaller announcements

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 Brad

Quick! STAB YOURSELF FOR SAFETY!

• Member Test
  • 1467 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 18:32

View PostJRK, on 11 Nov 2009, 18:25, said:

Is that forum IPB based?

No.
But I didn't think that it would be much of a chore to add that little bit in manually.
You almost did, didn't you?

#10 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 11 November 2009 - 18:32

Don't quote me on this, but I've tried to create an IPB forum at some time, and I found that this kinda feature is easy to implement with the numerous plugins and addons available for IPB. :D

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#11 BeefJeRKy

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 18:35

View PostBrad, on 11 Nov 2009, 20:32, said:

View PostJRK, on 11 Nov 2009, 18:25, said:

Is that forum IPB based?

No.
But I didn't think that it would be much of a chore to add that little bit in manually.

It's possible our forum doesn't have that feature right now. Maybe through a plugin as CJ(Argetlam) mentioned.
Posted Image

#12 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 18:39

Consider the idea or a suitable alternative under discussion.

#13 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 15:50

Consider the solution found. You'll find out the result soon enough :pimp:

#14 Pav:3d

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 15:52

Nice :pimp:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 15:55

Teasing admins are rather teasing. Good that you've found a solution though, will be nice to see what comes of it.
For there can be no death without life.

#16 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 16:10

I guess this has something to do with the solution, right ? :pimp: (Above the header)

#17 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 16:12

Part of it. And while you're there taking screenshots of things, try changing your monitor settings

*vomits at sight of green hue in the blue skin*

#18 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 16:13

View PostArgetlam, on 12 Nov 2009, 16:10, said:

Indeed it does. Make sure you clear your cache, so you have the latest css file.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#19 BeefJeRKy

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 16:56

Btw, love what you guys have done with the red skin :pimp:
Posted Image

#20 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 17:01

View PostWizard, on 12 Nov 2009, 17:12, said:

Part of it. And while you're there taking screenshots of things, try changing your monitor settings

It's because of the green wallpaper that Win7 decided to show at that moment :pimp:

View PostBob, on 12 Nov 2009, 17:13, said:

Indeed it does. Make sure you clear your cache, so you have the latest css file.

Thanks, it shows the navbar now, and I must say I find it pretty neat 8| (Also it's easier to notice the website now :) )

BTW, I just had an idea : When you type http://www.falloutstudios.net/ in the address bar, it automatically redirects to you to the website, but why don't you make it display a special page with the FS logo and 4 buttons to choose the section of FS you want to go to instead ? 8|

#21 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 17:08

View PostArgetlam, on 12 Nov 2009, 17:01, said:

View PostWizard, on 12 Nov 2009, 17:12, said:

It's because of the green wallpaper that Win7 decided to show at that moment :pimp:

View PostBob, on 12 Nov 2009, 17:13, said:

Thanks, it shows the navbar now, and I must say I find it pretty neat 8| (Also it's easier to notice the website now :) )

BTW, I just had an idea : When you type http://www.falloutstudios.net/ in the address bar, it automatically redirects to you to the website, but why don't you make it display a special page with the FS logo and 4 buttons to choose the section of FS you want to go to instead ? 8|

I think this idea could actually be implemented very nicely. As far as advertising goes, the page could be used as a hub, with links to every aspect of the community (including steam links for the servers, something I feel we're lacking atm anyways).

Bar that, looks luverly guys, really nice implementation here. My only thing may be to remove the links to the front page, data bunker and IRC channel from the bar that also holds the forum rules and guidelines, it's a double set of links that I don't feel are necessary now that the bar has been implemented along the top.
For there can be no death without life.

#22 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 17:11

View PostAJ, on 12 Nov 2009, 17:08, said:

View PostArgetlam, on 12 Nov 2009, 17:01, said:

Thanks, it shows the navbar now, and I must say I find it pretty neat :D (Also it's easier to notice the website now :pimp: )

BTW, I just had an idea : When you type http://www.falloutstudios.net/ in the address bar, it automatically redirects to you to the website, but why don't you make it display a special page with the FS logo and 4 buttons to choose the section of FS you want to go to instead ? :)

I think this idea could actually be implemented very nicely. As far as advertising goes, the page could be used as a hub, with links to every aspect of the community (including steam links for the servers, something I feel we're lacking atm anyways).

Don't worry, we've got plans for advertising the various parts of the community which you will be seeing in the near future.

View PostAJ, on 12 Nov 2009, 17:08, said:

My only thing may be to remove the links to the front page, data bunker and IRC channel from the bar that also holds the forum rules and guidelines, it's a double set of links that I don't feel are necessary now that the bar has been implemented along the top.

Already working on that, just trying to find where to remove them -_-
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#23 Pav:3d

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 17:38

Nice one bob, very snazzy

Posted Image