←  First Person Shooters

Fallout Studios Forums

»

Problems with L4D2

Enthusiasm's Photo Enthusiasm 19 Nov 2009

Hey! Ive always had a problem with TF2. Atleast for a while, not shure how long actually. Basicly when I join a server I haven't played on earlier I can play for about 20 sec and then it's connection lost. Next time I join that specific server it's nemas problemas. And as I usually play on the same servers thats never been a problem. Til now.

Just got L4D2 and it's useless online. This time however it doesn't even matter if ive played before. Whatever I do either I get connection lost after a few second or as the campaign loads I'm returned to the lobby with a messege saying Connection lost.

This is infact quite annoying as the game is pretty much useless.

Any ideas as what the problem might be?

I know basicly nothing about networks or anything regarding the interwebz. Though we do have a router thats built in to the modem.
Thats about as far as my knowledge goes.
Edited by Enthusiasm, 19 November 2009 - 21:10.

Lizzie's Photo Lizzie 19 Nov 2009

I know very little that can help you but my theory is it's your already existing issue combined with the fact most of the servers for L4D2 are near worthless right now since it was only released a few days ago.

Wizard's Photo Wizard 19 Nov 2009

What is your connection speed to start with?

http://www.speedtest.net

Might help us understand the issue. Source server admins can easily set specific connection speeds that would basically stop you joining or being there to slow anyone down.
Edited by Wizard, 19 November 2009 - 22:35.

Enthusiasm's Photo Enthusiasm 20 Nov 2009

I have 8/1, though I think I get around 6/0,7, Going to school right now so ima get this donne afterwards.

I am now currently at school and have a few hours to pass. I thought that I could take the oppurtunity to learn something about the InterWebz, routers and such. Maybe you guys know of anything particuluar I should read?
I will try wikipedia and other similliar websites right away. Thanks!
Edited by Enthusiasm, 20 November 2009 - 07:19.

BeefJeRKy's Photo BeefJeRKy 20 Nov 2009

Try opening up certain ports on your router. The Steam forums would be your best friends to help you find out which ones are needed.

Enthusiasm's Photo Enthusiasm 21 Nov 2009

The solution was as simple as killing a Zombie in a house similiar to The White House. Turning off the Windows Firewall.

Thanks for the help guys, although it was simply Vistas fault. God I need to upgrade to 7.

Magma's Photo Magma 21 Nov 2009

Like me and all of my friends say: use always other firewalls than Window's own one. Good thing that problem was easy to fix. And i think changing to Windows 7 and using Windows Firewall doesn't help much, but i might be wrong, even tho there are great free firewalls around; like COMODO or Kerio. But it's your desicion.
Happy gaming.