Losing Power

20 replies to this topic

#1 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 13:48

For the last week or so I have been having difficulty with my comp. After approximately 3 hours the thing just shuts down. Almost like it trips. Whilst annoying the real problem is that I now can't complete a full backup of the HD so I can install Win 7. To start with here are the comp specs:

Intel Core i7 965 @ 3.20GHz
12Gb DDR3
Nvidia GTX 280
900 Watt PSU
Asus P6T delux MB
Win 7 RC 7200 beta (this is what I need to upgrade)

Peripherals:
Microsoft gaming keyboard
Sidewinder pro mouse
CyberSniper gamepad
Iomega 1Tb external HD (Ext power source)
HP C4200 printer etc (ext power source)

All S&D apps came back clear of viruses, bots and other issues. Now can anyone suggest a reason other than my PSU is fuxxed for this happening?

Edit: should also point out that I have opened it up this morning and given it a thoroughly good clean out. It's free from dust and crap etc. Well ventilated and as clean as it can be.

Edited by Wizard, 07 March 2010 - 12:19.

#2 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 13:53

Did you get the new Nvidia drivers? Apparently they are messed up because they are causing faults with the fan on the graphics card.

Edited by TheDR, 06 March 2010 - 13:53.

Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#3 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 13:55

View PostTheDR, on 6 Mar 2010, 13:53, said:

Did you get the new Nvidia drivers?

No GFX card updats in months

#4 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 06 March 2010 - 13:56

U sure you've switched off the power saving options? :P

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 14:00

View PostPav3d, on 6 Mar 2010, 13:56, said:

No changes and that would shut windows down first, not just cut off power to the comp.

#6 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 14:03

View PostWizard, on 6 Mar 2010, 16:00, said:

No changes and that would shut windows down first, not just cut off power to the comp.
No, actually Pav is right. I had the same several weeks ago, where the computer would just suddenly freeze for a few seconds and suddenly the power would be cut off immediately, with no option to bring it back. As it turns out this was because of the power saving options (thank god I have an IT guy in my house).
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 14:06

View PostChyros, on 6 Mar 2010, 14:03, said:

No, actually Pav is right. I had the same several weeks ago, where the computer would just suddenly freeze for a few seconds and suddenly the power would be cut off immediately, with no option to bring it back. As it turns out this was because of the power saving options (thank god I have an IT guy in my house).

Why has this only changed in the last 7 days then? I've changed absolutely nothing in the power sharing panel????

Edit: Switched to Max performance, see if that does anything.

EditEdit: Didn't do any good at all. Looks almost certain to be a borked PSU.

Edited by Wizard, 06 March 2010 - 16:15.

#8 Crazykenny

Eternal Glow

• Project Team
  • 7683 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 17:14

View PostWizard, on 6 Mar 2010, 15:06, said:

View PostChyros, on 6 Mar 2010, 14:03, said:

Why has this only changed in the last 7 days then? I've changed absolutely nothing in the power sharing panel????

Edit: Switched to Max performance, see if that does anything.

EditEdit: Didn't do any good at all. Looks almost certain to be a borked PSU.

Lets sum it up:
-Broken PSU
-Something overheating (Is the airflow in order?)
-Something short-circuiting (lose components inside case?)
-Something in the BIOS maybe (Try returning it to default settings)

To a lesser extent:
-Faulty RAM modules
-Something, yet, unknown software related.

Could you show me a pic that shows me your PC's voltages?

EDIT: Also, what kinda PSU do you have. I sure as hell hope it aint Zalman, those things have a tendency to break down just after warranty (makes one think they did it on purpose)

Edited by Crazykenny, 06 March 2010 - 17:15.

Posted Image

#9 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 19:12

View PostCrazykenny, on 6 Mar 2010, 17:14, said:

EDIT: Also, what kinda PSU do you have. I sure as hell hope it aint Zalman, those things have a tendency to break down just after warranty (makes one think they did it on purpose)

Sale of goods act in the UK nails this, an item should work as long as it is reasonable for it to be expected to work. If every PSU you've ever owned has lasted a good 3-4 years then it is reasonable on the part of a customer to demand the same lifetime from any new PSU (under the caveat that it is used properly) and the manufacturer has to provide repairs or a replacement.

#10 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:06

Kenny here you go

Posted Image

Edited by Wizard, 07 March 2010 - 09:07.

#11 Crazykenny

Eternal Glow

• Project Team
  • 7683 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 21:59

Thats a unknown brand to me, so I cant really judge on that. 20amps on the 12v rail looks a little on the low side for a GTX280, but thats compensated with extra wattage it seems. Well, sorry Wiz I cant help you any more then I already did.

It could be the PSU, unknown brands have the tendency of being unreliable. My advice, try borrowing a PSU from someone or somewhere so you can tick the box: Is my PSU doing this.
Posted Image

#12 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 22:13

View PostCrazykenny, on 7 Mar 2010, 21:59, said:

It could be the PSU, unknown brands have the tendency of being unreliable. My advice, try borrowing a PSU from someone or somewhere so you can tick the box: Is my PSU doing this.

Thanks Kenny. I have one other hardware FAQ site I will try but basically this should now be a thread about what replacement PSU I should get. Thoughts please. Remember funds are not usually an issue.

#13 Crazykenny

Eternal Glow

• Project Team
  • 7683 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 22:19

I highly recommend getting either a Corsair PSU or Coolermaster PSU. Make sure they are labelled with the 80 PLUS logo, it means they more efficient in transforming domestic current into current your computer uses. For me its a no-brainer, I would have gone for the HX850W modulair PSU from Corsair for your rig. Its highly efficient and in my opinion very afforable. Its a PSU that will last you a lifetime and with Corsairs extended warranty and services its a fact.

Just look it up, there are plenty of reviews of it and the price is around €140-50, lets see, that would be $180 or so.
Posted Image

#14 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 16:18

As a random thought, could this be due to the expiry of the Win 7 beta I am trying update?

#15 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 09 March 2010 - 17:07

View PostWizard, on 9 Mar 2010, 18:18, said:

As a random thought, could this be due to the expiry of the Win 7 beta I am trying update?

*facedesk*

Oh shit I forgot that reason. Time to upgrade.
Posted Image

#16 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 17:09

That is sort of the problem, with 600gb to back up it takes more than 3 hours to do it. Guess I'll have to lose a few things then :rolleyes:

#17 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 09 March 2010 - 17:11

Just back up personal files. Not worth backing up installs. Also you could always use an Ubuntu boot disk to access your data without Windows nagging you.
Posted Image

#18 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 01:14

Well Win7 Ultimate 64 bit is now installed. Pretty much everything has disappered as well :sadface:

Let's see if this solves the problems.

#19 Crazykenny

Eternal Glow

• Project Team
  • 7683 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 13:39

In matter a fact it can be. Microsoft said something about randomly turning off Beta Builds from Windows 7 after the expiration date and they said they'd start doing that somewhere around March. Lol, I think we all missed the most obvious problem :duh:

Try backing up the most important things you have, before it shuts down, and do a fresh install of the full Windows 7 release. If that doesnt solve the problem it is, how bad it may sound, hardware related.

On a sidenote, getting a branded PSU never hurts, esspecially one with the build quality with the one I recommended you.
Posted Image

#20 Warbz

IRC is just a multiplayer notepad.

• Project Team
  • 4646 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 19:31

View PostWizard, on 9 Mar 2010, 16:18, said:

You should have had several warning about this each time you logged on. After the Beta expires it just turns off every 2 hours, (Might have been 3).

Posted Image

#21 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 09:31

View PostW!, on 11 Mar 2010, 19:31, said:

View PostWizard, on 9 Mar 2010, 16:18, said:

You should have had several warning about this each time you logged on. After the Beta expires it just turns off every 2 hours, (Might have been 3).

The warnings did not indicate that power would cut out or that the OS wouldn't shut down correctly. All it says is that the beta had expired and to install a full version.

Installation has now solved the problem (after frigging around with my graphics card :duh: )

Issue resolved

8|

Edited by Wizard, 12 March 2010 - 09:31.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users