#1 Kris

<Custom title available>

• Project Team
  • 3825 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 15:00

About ACTA:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Counterf...Trade_Agreement

Snippet from the leaked copy:

"It provides for criminalization of copyright infringement, granting law enforcement the powers to perform criminal investigation, arrests and pursue criminal citations or prosecution of suspects who MAY have infringed on copyright"

I can provide the "leaked" copy of the entire law but i think it's illegal to post torrent sites here...Anyway, i'd like to say...Good luck arresting the entire planet...especially the chinese government 8|.

Edited by Kris, 26 March 2010 - 15:07.

#2 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 16:36

It's not illegal to post torrents here mate, it's just when you post ones with pron/illegal shizzle that you get a slap on the wrist/kick up the arse.

However, do a quick Google and you can probably get away without torrents, eg this great big PDF file here (and I do mean big so bandwidth-conscious people beware), or this not-so big text file here, which is useful, but not easier to read...

As to the ACTA itself, the current draft is an absolute mess, but you can get some meaning across from it. The biggest bitch of them all that I've managed to squeeze out of it is regards service providers.

Primarily, they can be sued if they don't take steps to prevent people downloading illegal files where they know what's going on. However, the Parties signing the treaty won't enforce them to monitor everyone's activities. Ironic considering they'll have to if they want the governments off their back. Furthermore, the governments will grant to rights holders the ability to request user information from the service providers. So if you download a copy of the latest film, the movie studio will have every right to hunt your ass down. And finally, the governments want mutually supportive relationships with the providers - I really don't know what they mean by that, but I'd imagine it won't be good.

The VERY interesting point here, however, is the definition of service provider. If you share a file online, you're a provider. We're not talking Internet Service Providers. Anyone and everyone can be a provider - say I upload a track to Rapidshare and link it to a friend. I'm liable to be sued. Rapidshare is liable to be sued. The ISP that I used to upload through is liable to be sued. The ISP he downloaded through is liable to be sued. He is liable to be sued (although not as a provider admittedly).

Basically, they have every base covered in an incredibly broad-reaching agreement, and it will scare ISPs into shutting down anyone that touches a torrent file, or any other file like that, ever again.
For there can be no death without life.

#3 Kris

<Custom title available>

• Project Team
  • 3825 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 21:04

In short, they're pretty much planning in shutting the Internet down and cutting our remaining freedom in this world. 8|

Edited by Kris, 26 March 2010 - 21:07.

#4 Wanderer

Lurking around since 2005

• Member Test
  • 622 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 22:31

Thank god for wikileaks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users