10 replies to this topic

#1 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 00:28

As the topic says, I'll let this image say it:
Posted Image

We can probably shave off a few bytes :P I was pretty sure the one at the top was never there in the first place.
Posted Image

#2 Gen.Kenobi

Set sails!

• Project Leader
  • 1170 posts
  • Projects: New!

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:21

Eh? It's IPB's default...not sure if you can change it or even mod IPB.

But with PHPBB that would be easily done.
"The entire ocean. The entire world. Wherever we want to go, we'll go. That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what Tidal Wars really is... is freedom."
Posted Image

kudos to Pasidon for this awesome avvy and siggy!

#3 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:47

The amount of work and downtime would be a bit inconvenient, I believe...I must've imagined it NOT being there for the past two years...wow.
Posted Image

#4 Su8perkillr

See the red light on your chest?

• 559 posts
  • Projects: Losing the game

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:49

It was there all those years :P
Posted Image

#5 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:29

Redundant topic is ...... well redundant actually :P

Appreciate the feedback but don't worry about the forum software we're using right now. It probably won't be with us for long.

#6 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:09

View PostWizard, on 31 Mar 2010, 10:29, said:

Redundant topic is ...... well redundant actually :P

Appreciate the feedback but don't worry about the forum software we're using right now. It probably won't be with us for long.

Err what ? You're aware that if you change the software you'll lose all the member database, and the messages one? (Unless you use one of those softs who make you able to migrate your forum)
Also, IPB is certainly the best board manager that exists, it's fully customizable, and the forums could actually look a lot better with a few mods on it :read:

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#7 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:28

View PostArgetlam, on 31 Mar 2010, 13:09, said:

Err what ? You're aware that if you change the software you'll lose all the member database, and the messages one? (Unless you use one of those softs who make you able to migrate your forum)
Also, IPB is certainly the best board manager that exists, it's fully customizable, and the forums could actually look a lot better with a few mods on it :P

Actually you're wrong on both counts. The forum software doesn't dictate the membership or the messages. That is controlled and stored by MySQL and only interfaced with by the forum software. It is 100% possible to transport our database to another message board type, SMP, PHPBB or similar and not lose one single post or member (this has been done already behind the scenes actually). A forum is a collection of tables, for posts, date, time, member dob etc. All those tables are stored in the database and not on the forum software.

And there are plenty of other packages out there that do exactly what IPB does and most of them are free, whereas IPB isn't. You can mod them as easily as you can IPB.

However, the changes planned do not involve us switching software. We just won't be sticking with this version of what we have.

#8 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:52

View PostWizard, on 31 Mar 2010, 13:28, said:

View PostArgetlam, on 31 Mar 2010, 13:09, said:

Also, IPB is certainly the best board manager that exists, it's fully customizable, and the forums could actually look a lot better with a few mods on it :P

Actually you're wrong on both counts. The forum software doesn't dictate the membership or the messages. That is controlled and stored by MySQL and only interfaced with by the forum software. It is 100% possible to transport our database to another message board type, SMP, PHPBB or similar and not lose one single post or member (this has been done already behind the scenes actually). A forum is a collection of tables, for posts, date, time, member dob etc. All those tables are stored in the database and not on the forum software.

And there are plenty of other packages out there that do exactly what IPB does and most of them are free, whereas IPB isn't. You can mod them as easily as you can IPB.

However, the changes planned do not involve us switching software. We just won't be sticking with this version of what we have.

Oh I see, Actually I said that the messages and member lists would be deleted because the forums I've ran were not giving access to the MySQL DB, as they were pack solutions : You get the forum and the domain from the same provider which renders mySQL access useless, and I assumed FS ran with a similar system, my bad D:

#9 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:56

View PostArgetlam, on 31 Mar 2010, 13:52, said:

Oh I see, Actually I said that the messages and member lists would be deleted because the forums I've ran were not giving access to the MySQL DB, as they were pack solutions : You get the forum and the domain from the same provider which renders mySQL access useless, and I assumed FS ran with a similar system, my bad D:

Can I assume you were using an Invision + board then? :P

Running a community such as ours requires considerably more work, time, data, hardware and software than most realise. Even the admins don't get into the full spectrum of what is required to keep it alive. Thank JNEngland for that.

#10 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 16:09

View PostDestiny, on 31 Mar 2010, 1:28, said:

As the topic says, I'll let this image say it:
Posted Image

We can probably shave off a few bytes :read: I was pretty sure the one at the top was never there in the first place.

Posted Image

View PostGen.Kenobi, on 31 Mar 2010, 2:21, said:

Eh? It's IPB's default...not sure if you can change it or even mod IPB.

But with PHPBB that would be easily done.

View PostDestiny, on 31 Mar 2010, 6:47, said:

The amount of work and downtime would be a bit inconvenient, I believe...I must've imagined it NOT being there for the past two years...wow.

It would be an easy/quick change, but as Wiz has said, we won't be sticking with this version for much longer, so making the change would be... redundant. :P
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#11 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 16:26

View PostWizard, on 31 Mar 2010, 13:56, said:

View PostArgetlam, on 31 Mar 2010, 13:52, said:

Can I assume you were using an Invision + board then? :P

Running a community such as ours requires considerably more work, time, data, hardware and software than most realise. Even the admins don't get into the full spectrum of what is required to keep it alive. Thank JNEngland for that.

Nah I used a lot of French services, which had contacts with Invision, and some other furnishers like PhPBB and such things. And I didn't find that managing a 7K members was that hard, even though we had only 3 admins (maybe it's because that service automates a lot of the job?) :read:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users