iPhone 4.0 revealed

25 replies to this topic

#1 RaiDK

I have an Energon Axe. Your argument is invalid.

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 23:18

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/08/iphone-...ng-this-summer/

I'm mighty impressed. I might even go get an iPhone if they release a model with a decent camera and a flash.

View PostMasonicon, on 17 Oct 2009, 13:44, said:

According to Conspiracy theories in internet, sci-fi and fantasy are real!

#2 ΓΛPTΘΓ

Ecchi Toaster

• Project Team
  • 923 posts
  • Projects: Spam

Posted 10 April 2010 - 02:49

Really looking forward to this. Glad that my 64Gb iPod Touch is supported.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Awesome radio

19:44 - Chyros: I'm very harmless

#3 Warbz

IRC is just a multiplayer notepad.

• Project Team
  • 4646 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 03:07

Is that it?

* Multitasking.
^welcome to the modern day. Every other smartphone has had this for years.

* Spell check (like on the iPad).
^How can anyone make a big fuss out of that? Really...

* User-defined wallpaper (a jailbreak favorite).
^Just wow...

* Playlist creation and nested playlists.
^Again available on most other smartphones for a long time.

* Game Center. It's like Xbox Live, but for iPhone games. Includes achievements, leaderboards, and match making. It will be available as a "developer preview," and out for consumers later this year.
^Facepalm.

Mac: Welcome to the future... 4 years ago. - Philly D.

Posted Image

#4 RaiDK

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 03:58

Yeah, I've got an Android phone that multitasks, and guess what? It's a massive battery drain unless I manually kill every program I'm not using. Not everything needs Multitasking, here only the services that really use it are allowed, which IMO is pretty well the best way to do it.

#5 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:21

View PostW!, on 10 Apr 2010, 6:07, said:

Is that it?

* Multitasking.
^welcome to the modern day. Every other smartphone has had this for years.

* Spell check (like on the iPad).
^How can anyone make a big fuss out of that? Really...

* User-defined wallpaper (a jailbreak favorite).
^Just wow...

* Playlist creation and nested playlists.
^Again available on most other smartphones for a long time.

* Game Center. It's like Xbox Live, but for iPhone games. Includes achievements, leaderboards, and match making. It will be available as a "developer preview," and out for consumers later this year.
^Facepalm.

Mac: Welcome to the future... 4 years ago. - Philly D.

True but tbh Windows Mobile treats multitasking like a PC. Totally the wrong approach. Apple may be late to the party but their implementation is very good. If Windows Phone 7 appears to be against my liking I might switch to the dark side myself. You totally forgot about Folders and iAd btw.
Posted Image

#6 Shirou

Humble darkspawn

• 3328 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:30

About damn time though, their current OS is severy lacking compared to what Android 2.1 offers, this should get everyone going again.

I'm not too sold on the multitasking, but it is said that the OS 4.0 uses 'save state' multitasking which if its fast enough may be good as you don't need a task control killer app to save your battery life, as every Android phone really does need.
Posted Image

#7 BeefJeRKy

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:26

Its not multiple process multitasking. Instead, apps that exit are placed in a save state. Any services that would run in the background use one of 7 APIs dedicated to certain tasks like audio control, task completion or data fetching. Overall its like running several apps while using far less memory than full process multitasking. Then again, Android works in a way similar to this except it keeps three or four apps actually running in the background. I'm hoping MS do add similar APIs to WP7 so they won't be left in the dust upon release at the end of the year.
Posted Image

#8 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:58

I had a Nokia 6670 since 2005, it was already capable of multitasking (it had Symbian 6.0) and it was far from being battery draining...
So yeah, that makes Apple late by 5 years ;)

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#9 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:05

Yay, Apple uses its marketing strategy of adding stuff that should of been in the first/second version ;)

Aren't people getting bored of Apple doing this or is just me?
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#10 BeefJeRKy

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:16

View PostArgetlam, on 10 Apr 2010, 14:58, said:

I had a Nokia 6670 since 2005, it was already capable of multitasking (it had Symbian 6.0) and it was far from being battery draining...

Are you seriously comparing Symbian apps to iPhone apps? Anyway Symbian is teh fail.
Posted Image

#11 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:23

View PostTheDR, on 10 Apr 2010, 22:05, said:

Yay, Apple uses its marketing strategy of adding stuff that should of been in the first/second version ;)

Microsoft does the same thing with Windows, television manufactures do it with televisions and other electronics manufacturers do it as well.

It's called profit, and it's a fancy feature of capitalism. It's the same reason why your food weight gradually goes down (a medium potato crisps packet here is now 90g, whereas 2 years ago it was 100g), and the price stays the same. In a few years they'll up the weight again, along with appropriate price adjustment too, which is of course somehow justified by the fact that was the original weight to begin with.

Long story short, welcome to capitalism.

Posted Image

#12 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:33

View PostAlias, on 10 Apr 2010, 13:23, said:

View PostTheDR, on 10 Apr 2010, 22:05, said:

Microsoft does the same thing with Windows, television manufactures do it with televisions and other electronics manufacturers do it as well.

I wasn't saying Apple was the only company that do that, that would be silly 8|
The problem i find is Apple seem to make such a fuss about the new features they add when the features just aren't that revolutionary or that interesting.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#13 RaiDK

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 13:16

View PostTrivmvirate, on 10 Apr 2010, 18:30, said:

About damn time though, their current OS is severy lacking compared to what Android 2.1 offers, this should get everyone going again.

Meh, non-SenseUI Android is preeeeeetty dull. Android pretty well needs SenseUI to be usable at all.

If Apple put out an iPhone with a decent camera and a flash then I'll consider converting.

#14 BeefJeRKy

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 13:23

I remember the years when I considered a good camera to be essential in a phone. Not anymore tbh.
What matters most to me now is the SoC and screen.
Posted Image

#15 RaiDK

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 13:34

I find the camera to be useful, since not everyone carries around an actual camera with them at all times (For good reason).

But yeah, wonder when the iPhone 4G/HD will be announced?

#16 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 10 April 2010 - 13:37

View PostScope, on 10 Apr 2010, 13:16, said:

View PostArgetlam, on 10 Apr 2010, 14:58, said:

Are you seriously comparing Symbian apps to iPhone apps? Anyway Symbian is teh fail.

Errr what? Symbian is the best platform that existed back then, I'm not talking about the crappy version of it that you can now find on Samsung Phones, I'm talking about the one which was implemented on Nokia phones that simply makes it possible to create the same apps as the ones available on the iPhone now (except for the accelerometer function)

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#17 BeefJeRKy

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 13:38

Well see I'd rather carry a good camera with me when I know I'll need it. Granted my HD2's sensor seems WAY better than my previous Touch HD.
Posted Image

#18 Kris

<Custom title available>

• Project Team
  • 3825 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 00:48

"Multitasking"
-My old (and long gone) Nokia N-70 already had that. Heck, even old Nokia phones are already capable of multitasking..

"Spell check (like on the iPad)"
-Who cares? Besides, IIRC, Nokia phones and other cellphones already have that feature for AGES in the form of the "Dictionary".

"User-defined wallpaper (a jailbreak favorite)"
-Nokia, Samsung, Motorola and other cellphones since 2004-2005 already have that feature..

"Playlist creation and nested playlists"
-My old phone have this for ages...

"App folders for sorting apps! You can even put an app folder in the dock."
-Ditto

iPhone just reintroduced some stuff other companies already integrated in their cellphone products since 2003...

Good job Apple! ;)

#19 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 11 April 2010 - 01:17

It seems people are only now just realising thats apples strategy. Still not sold on the concept and never will be, I don't do gimmicks.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 RaiDK

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 03:18

Apple's strategy is to give the best possible end user experience, hence why it takes time to implement these features in. It's an approach I can appreciate after using the Android platform for a while: The vanilla android 'experience' I'd hardly call an experience at all, it's incredibly bare.

#21 BeefJeRKy

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:06

View PostKris, on 11 Apr 2010, 3:48, said:

"Multitasking"
-My old (and long gone) Nokia N-70 already had that. Heck, even old Nokia phones are already capable of multitasking..

"Spell check (like on the iPad)"
-Who cares? Besides, IIRC, Nokia phones and other cellphones already have that feature for AGES in the form of the "Dictionary".

"User-defined wallpaper (a jailbreak favorite)"
-Nokia, Samsung, Motorola and other cellphones since 2004-2005 already have that feature..

"Playlist creation and nested playlists"
-My old phone have this for ages...

"App folders for sorting apps! You can even put an app folder in the dock."
-Ditto

iPhone just reintroduced some stuff other companies already integrated in their cellphone products since 2003...

Good job Apple! ;)

Do consider that most touch based phones OSes tended to suck at some of the above features. Symbian UIQ had no proper multitasking. In fact apps ran in the background but you had to jump between them iPhone style. And folders were handled like a desktop OS which is fairly clunky on a phone I guess.

Yes Apple relies on marketing gimmicks but I still must admit they do things well when they put their heads to it. They don't say they were the first to implement this but they do say they do it best which can be argued I'd say.
Posted Image

#22 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:47

As Alias has correctly pointed out, this happens with all products nowadays - there is always a major update of either the product or the software running it within six months of the previous update.

Some of these are stupid little things that should have been included a long time ago, such as the merged inboxes and the ability to change the homescreen. Yeah, Apple got those wrong initially, but at least they've owned up to it ;). But other areas it's brought out in an unconventional means, and they will likely change the face of the smartphone business again. Primarily the multitasking, which will probably revolutionise how it's done in other phones - the concept behind it is clever, and I'd rather have it all continue to run through Apple rather than let the Apps have full control over BG processes in my phone. iAds are also going to be lethal to that sector - just imagine how many apps have been sold (1.5billion) and then put one of these highly nifty Ads into one in every three. That is 500million apps holding an Ad that makes them want to get involved.

At the end of the day, I'll wait for Apple to get it right, and pioneer it, rather than watch them use the same tech everyone else uses and as a result, release a flawed product.
For there can be no death without life.

#23 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:22

View PostAJ, on 11 Apr 2010, 10:47, said:

As Alias has correctly pointed out, this happens with all products nowadays - there is always a major update of either the product or the software running it within six months of the previous update.

Some of these are stupid little things that should have been included a long time ago, such as the merged inboxes and the ability to change the homescreen. Yeah, Apple got those wrong initially, but at least they've owned up to it |8. But other areas it's brought out in an unconventional means, and they will likely change the face of the smartphone business again. Primarily the multitasking, which will probably revolutionise how it's done in other phones - the concept behind it is clever, and I'd rather have it all continue to run through Apple rather than let the Apps have full control over BG processes in my phone. iAds are also going to be lethal to that sector - just imagine how many apps have been sold (1.5billion) and then put one of these highly nifty Ads into one in every three. That is 500million apps holding an Ad that makes them want to get involved.

At the end of the day, I'll wait for Apple to get it right, and pioneer it, rather than watch them use the same tech everyone else uses and as a result, release a flawed product.

Well as you know, I can't stand ads, so thats another massive tick for "Not buying one".

I think partly what annoys me with apple is the way the describe things - steve jobs basically - Describing the iPad as a magical internet viewing experience, say what? I also know that deep down, whatever product apple release will sell in the thousands, take the iPad for example. Its really completely useless and costs the same as a half decent PC.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#24 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:43

All manufacturers are self serving idiots, they all want people to think theyre the dogs bollocks. You can't expect any Market leader to suggest they're not the best.

Ironically, the ipad, from what i can see from early reviews, is being described as they best way to browse the web bar none. If you ever get your hands on one to play with, I imagine even you may have doubts. As a student I have no reason to buy one, but if I was given one or won one, hell would I be happy. It's good stuff, just too dear for me. Those that can afford it, I would suggest look into buying it.
For there can be no death without life.

#25 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:52

View PostAJ, on 11 Apr 2010, 12:43, said:

All manufacturers are self serving idiots, they all want people to think theyre the dogs bollocks. You can't expect any Market leader to suggest they're not the best.

Ironically, the ipad, from what i can see from early reviews, is being described as they best way to browse the web bar none. If you ever get your hands on one to play with, I imagine even you may have doubts. As a student I have no reason to buy one, but if I was given one or won one, hell would I be happy. It's good stuff, just too dear for me. Those that can afford it, I would suggest look into buying it.

I just can't see myself using it for anything.. ever, and I prefer a mouse to touchpad screens tbh. Its not like its even that portable, can't fit in your pocket.
Posted Image

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users