Highlander Tryouts

25 replies to this topic

#1 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 23:58

Announcement Thread

In this thread we will be deciding who gets what spot in the tournament, unfortunately we didn't get enough for two teams, however one team can consist of 14 people (5 reserves), so even if you don't make it through, you may still be able to play in the highlander tournament if someone can't make it.

The Challengers and their choices:

TheDR - Spy
Dispenser - Medic, Scout, Demoman
AJ - Sniper, Medic
Raptor - Pyro
Codecat - Soldier, Heavy, Scout, Sniper
Slye Fox - Engineer
Trivmvirate - Pyro
W! - Scout
Argetlam - Soldier, Demo, Medic
Laemon - Heavy
Brad - Demo, Soldier, Scout
Sgt. Nuker - Soldier, Pyro
Drag#! - Soldier, Pyro, Sniper
Nid - Pyro, Engineer, Heavy
Amdrial - Pyro, Engineer, Soldier, Medic
deltaepsilon - Pyro, Soldier

We will do the challenges one at a time. Each one will be an arena 1v1 battle, two/three matches will take place with the winner going on to the next match. The map will be chosen by the two challengers, if they can't agree on a map, i will pick a random one.

We will start of with the Scout.
The people wanting this position are:

Brad
Codecat
Dispenser
W!

The first match will be between Codecat and Brad. It will take place as soon as they are both online and willing to participate. The second match will be against Dispenser and W!. The winners of the first two fights will then go on to have a third fight which would then leave us with an overall winner. The results of each fight will be posted in this thread.
If you want to add your name to this list or add more classes to your picks please say so, but remember, you can only play as one class in the tournament. If you happen to be very good (or lucky :P) and you win every class challenge you entered into, you get to pick which class you want and the other classes will go to the people who came second.

Good luck and have fun. If you have any questions/suggestions about this part of the team selection, post them in this thread or PM me.

Edited by TheDR, 24 April 2010 - 10:36.

Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#2 deltaepsilon

Delta Operator

• Member Test
  • 859 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:44

I'd like to sign up as a Soldier or Pyro, I won't mind being a reserve. However, I won't be surprised if I get my ass handed to me during the tryouts, it'd be fun to see how it goes anyway.

Edited by deltaepsilon, 24 April 2010 - 01:45.

----------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------

The name's Bond.

Covalent Bond.

#3 Dispenser

Casual

• 84 posts
  • Projects: Doing drawinations

Posted 24 April 2010 - 05:53

Actually I really only want the medic or demoman spot, for the others I'd rather be reserve or something. But I'll still give the fights a go :P (on second thought, I'm gonna withdraw from the sniper spot, I'm not even gonna fight for that XD )

Speaking of medic (and on extension engineer), I don't really see how well you can assess their tactical ability in 1-on-1 same class battle, since they generally rely on their team-mates to make the most of their capabilities... on that same note, heavies generally don't have much to do with skill either, just tactical positioning (also pyro fights will most likely end up as shotgun fights, since flamethrower fights tend to be more chance based)

But eh, I guess it's better than just flipping a coin to decide.

#4 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:20

View PostDispenser, on 24 Apr 2010, 6:53, said:

Speaking of medic (and on extension engineer), I don't really see how well you can assess their tactical ability in 1-on-1 same class battle, since they generally rely on their team-mates to make the most of their capabilities... on that same note, heavies generally don't have much to do with skill either, just tactical positioning (also pyro fights will most likely end up as shotgun fights, since flamethrower fights tend to be more chance based)

I can only echo what he says, medics are only good when they're team playing, since their most important role is the healing... I'd suggest that everyone tries, in addition to these tryouts, to do what's best for the team by leaving some spot to a person who they know will deserve it better when they'll be playing in a team, even if they beat them.

Also, any clue about the competition date yet? I've got a feeling that they're waiting until my exams start to start it -_-'

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#5 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:51

Unfortunately i don't know when the tournament is, on that site it says 3-4 weeks time but that hasn't been updated, so I'm guessing in a few weeks.

Yeah, i understand that medic skill is based on healing and can't really be decided on a 1 v 1 but being a healing medic is hard to judge. Also I think that a medic fighting against another class could happen in the tournament and being a good combat medic would be great for that situation.

However a good combat/offensive engineer is needed in the competition, an engineer should be able to look out for themselves while taking care of a sentry.
Pyros and Heavies may actually have to fight against each other, a 1 v 1 will sort out the strongest fighters.

Of course, if you feel that you want someone you know is good to play a certain class, please say so, if enough people agree then they probably deserve a place in the tournament. But we will do that after the tryouts.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#6 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 24 April 2010 - 11:46

OOoo nice, are you going to record any of these matches doc? Not a huge TF2 fan but it would be interesting to see how people do :P

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 11:51

I was thinking about recording the finals :P
People are welcome to come and spectate the matches as well. The only rule il put in is that you can't help anyone during the matches, if i suspect cheating i will just restart the match.

Edited by TheDR, 24 April 2010 - 11:54.

Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#8 Amdrial

Naval Wrenchineer

• Project Leader
  • 3047 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 13:54

I'd propose the medic matches to be fought together with a medic-buddy who has been picked by TheDR. The medic who survivest longest wins the competition.

Edited by Amdrial, 24 April 2010 - 14:08.

Posted Image
The above signature was made by TheDR.
Posted Image

#9 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 14:42

View PostAmdrial, on 24 Apr 2010, 14:54, said:

I'd propose the medic matches to be fought together with a medic-buddy who has been picked by TheDR. The medic who survivest longest wins the competition.

The problem is that has too many variables to make it fair.
I think when it comes to the medic we will have the 1 v 1 fights but then just use that as a guideline and maybe have a poll on the forums.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#10 Nid

Human Being number 80446219302

• Project Team
  • 2501 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 17:06

The best idea I had to do with the medic would be to run them with the winner of each class, and grade on points there. Unfortunately running medics with just anyone would result in one medic bieng at a disadvantage bieng paired with the less skilled player. The problem with my idea was that it's then down to the player the medic is healing to do well. They aren't going to get the same score each time.

Edited by Nidmeister, 24 April 2010 - 17:07.

Posted Image

#11 Rich19

I challenge thee!

• 1478 posts
  • Projects: Duelling

Posted 25 April 2010 - 20:14

I'm not competing, but I reckon a good way to select medics would be a vote by the other people in the team. If the player in question is a good enough team player, the chances are the other players will know about it already.

#12 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 20:17

I must add here that my performance as medic in the last week is mostly because I like messing around. I can be a proper medic if I want to. 8|
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#13 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 20:19

View PostRich19, on 25 Apr 2010, 21:14, said:

I'm not competing, but I reckon a good way to select medics would be a vote by the other people in the team. If the player in question is a good enough team player, the chances are the other players will know about it already.

Yeah, I'm open to any ideas. Well we will leave Medic selection to the end, so we have plenty of time to think of some selection ideas.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#14 Warbz

IRC is just a multiplayer notepad.

• Project Team
  • 4646 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 21:58

I'm ready for mah duel. 8|

Posted Image

#15 Nid

• Project Team
  • 2501 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 13:39

I think a submission of stats for medic should also be used for each participant to give people a better idea of who to vote for.
Posted Image

#16 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 13:30

Any updates concerning the tryouts? Been a week since we last heard of it Posted Image

#17 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 13:35

I'm waiting to set up a game between Code and Brad, it's been much harder that i thought.
However, i did do the match between Dispenser and Warbz. Dispenser won.

Il set up the solider fight soon.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#18 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 13:45

Very well, thanks for the update :P
I should be here all the time today if you plan to run the solly fights 8|

Edited by Argetlam, 02 May 2010 - 13:45.

#19 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 17:56

I'm having problems with my shoulder at the moment so I can't play. Maybe in a week?
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#20 Nid

• Project Team
  • 2501 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 19:48

Don't wait on people's classes to come around to do it in order, just do people who are available if you can.
Posted Image

#21 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 19:51

Nah, we have lots of time to do it in, we might as well do it casually.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#22 Ghostrider

Duly Appointed Federal Marshal

• Project Team
  • 991 posts
  • Projects: The Pants Party, Irradiated Inc.

Posted 12 May 2010 - 01:15

If it's not too late Doc I'd like to sign up for tryouts for sniper and/or heavy. Nom nom nom.
Posted Image
AJ is responsible for this signature masterpiece... if you see him, tell him I say thanks.
Posted Image

#23 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:55

No, its not too late Ghostrider, il add you later on. However I would really like to get these done soon, probably next week sometime after my college project deadlines.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#24 Brad

Quick! STAB YOURSELF FOR SAFETY!

• Member Test
  • 1467 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 15:16

I can't imagine the competition is too far away.

By the way, if they coincide with my exams, I'm not sure if I'll be around during the time.
You almost did, didn't you?

#25 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 15:42

View PostBrad, on 12 May 2010, 16:16, said:

I can't imagine the competition is too far away.

By the way, if they coincide with my exams, I'm not sure if I'll be around during the time.

Exact same thing here, my exams start at June, and my future uni selection will rely on my results, you'd understand that I won't be risking to fail because of a TF2 competition D:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users