963 replies to this topic

#701 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 20:26

View PostKalo, on 16 Nov 2010, 22:03, said:

View PostChyros, on 16 Nov 2010, 19:52, said:

Well, in that case, you'll know how powerful shotguns can be if implemented well, and that they aren't by definition lacking in strategic options. The original FMJ Winchesters akimbo was pretty monstrous and an example that a shotgun isn't by definition useless - even with something as artificial as a cutoff range.

Indeed, but the argument Stinger put out there was "Why use a shotgun when you can shoot someone from over yonder with an assault rifle" in essence. Which does apply to just about every FPS game without an "Odd" shotgun.
It's worth it if you can't shoot someone there if you get enough power to kill them here reliably. This is just not the case with BO. You don't really need an "odd" shotgun for it, just more than two brain cells to come up with a balanced shotgun design.

Edited by Chyros, 16 November 2010 - 21:11.

TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#702 amazin

E-Studios resident XBOX360 (not computer) player

• 1483 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:16

dont expect having a shotgun in your hands to get kills for you, they take more of a change of strategy to use than any other weapon, but if used at their intended range they can dominate

#703 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 03:46

View PostStinger, on 15 Nov 2010, 7:37, said:

This makes Modern Warfare 2's spawns look good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6ZWYXqbQWc...player_embedded

I don't think a Call of Duty game will ever have good spawns, but Modern Warfare 2's is probably as good as it's going to get.

Edit: PC players who enjoyed 6 vs 6 matches, you may rejoice. They will be adding 12 player servers in the not so distant future according to the pcdev's Twitter.

Well this explains why I keep dying after I spawn :|

View PostWizard, on 15 Nov 2010, 9:10, said:

View PostNem, on 14 Nov 2010, 23:46, said:

Though multiplayer is inferior to any modern warfare, the campaign in Black Ops was the most fun I have had in a game in quite some time. Though linear, it's the most cinematic thus far, and that's exactly what I look for when I pick up a current Call of Duty game. If you want a thinking mans game, or one finally tuned for competitive play, chances are you won't find it here, But if you want to have a good time and experience what the movie industry refers to as a Summer Blockbuster, sit back and enjoy a story that rivals any Call of Duty as well as most FPS shooters on the market.

Strangely, I've found the campaign to be lacklustre and dull so far and consequently have barely completed any of it. I am beginning to despise these cut scenes and portions of game-play where all I can do is follow a NPC at a lumber-some pace and "do x" when you're told to and then "y" when a scene has ended. I admit I liked the NVA attack and the trench defence, but that aside it's been boring.

But each to their own aye :P

It is impossible to do Khe Sanh on Veteran...or...a whole lotta campaign missions :| I mean in Khe Sanh, the part where you have to hit the barrels to stop the NVA attack, the NPCs don't stop coming and after you stab-kick one of the barrels you die instantly after that because 5 LMGs are firing at you after your invincibility period is gone :|
Posted Image

#704 Warlock

Semi-Pro

• 217 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:51

So.. Can I ask what you guys have come up with for your MP emblems?

I really need some inspiration for creating mine :P

#705 deltaepsilon

Delta Operator

• Member Test
  • 859 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 07:48

View PostGrey_Vengeance, on 17 Nov 2010, 17:51, said:

So.. Can I ask what you guys have come up with for your MP emblems?

I really need some inspiration for creating mine :P

Something hilariously inappropriate to make people cringe.
----------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------

The name's Bond.

Covalent Bond.

#706 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 07:56

@ deltaepsilon: there are a whole bunch of phallic emblems out there already, but of course that's the quickest and most reliable way to tell they're a 12-year-old.

I like playing cards, I like the suit of diamonds, and I name all my classes after predatory animals, like "tiger", "lion" and "dragon". So I came up with this:

Posted Image

Which looks like the following on my Tiger class:

Posted Image

Stinger's is much funnier though :P .
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#707 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5847 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:19

Your emblem looks cool, but that tiger skin is horrible, it's like someone has scrapped curry paste all over the gun D:
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#708 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:22

Blame his terrible spec computer for the poor graphics. It looks much better at a decent resolution.

#709 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5847 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:25

Oh far enough then, it wouldn't make sense for a skin like that to go in a game :P
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#710 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:35

Besides, the screenshot option doesn't capture several colour and contrast layers that you actually see in the game (this has been true since CoD 4 btw); the tiger skin on the gun is actually an almost blinding orange when you play it :P .

All people should post a pic of their emblem here methinks, btw :P . Would be cool to see some other designs.
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#711 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:49

Mine is just a blue barrel atm... havent bothered with it :P

BUT WHAT WOULD BE REALLY FUNNY, IS IF SOMEONES EMBLEM WAS A PENIS, COZ I SURE DONT SEE ENOUGH OF THOSE ¬_¬

Nice emblem chyros

Posted Image

Posted Image

#712 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 16:49

Mine's pretty predictable:
Posted Image

Can hardly see it on my FAMAS though...
Posted Image

But...eh...the game saves in .JPG :P Should've used prtscrn.

Edited by Destiny, 17 November 2010 - 16:50.

Posted Image

#713 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 17:07

How is a blue bunny rabbit predictable for you?! :P

Predictable would be a ghost or something that reads "yuu~" or something :P .
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#714 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 17:14

There wasn't a ghost emblem and I do love bunny girls rabbits a lot :P But I'm pretty simple so I just went with one big emblem and because I haven't got much of any idea of how the emblem layers are positioned...I can't imagine fifty layers all on the left...
Posted Image

#715 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 18:33

View PostDestiny, on 17 Nov 2010, 19:14, said:

There wasn't a ghost emblem and I do love bunny girls rabbits a lot :P But I'm pretty simple so I just went with one big emblem and because I haven't got much of any idea of how the emblem layers are positioned...I can't imagine fifty layers all on the left...
Upper levels are on top of other layers. You can manoeuvre the layers around and bring them up or down.
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#716 deltaepsilon

Delta Operator

• Member Test
  • 859 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 22:44

View PostDestiny, on 18 Nov 2010, 4:14, said:

There wasn't a ghost emblem and I do love bunny girls rabbits a lot :P

Maybe you could do some sort of white splodge? :P
--------------------

The name's Bond.

Covalent Bond.

#717 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 00:36

Oh not that again :P

But hmm...I think I'll stick to my bunny for now.
Posted Image

#718 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 13:52

Vahn larp larp said:

I am back in town and trying to get to the bottom of the spawning issues.

Let me explain how spawning generally works. The spawn system is trying to pick the best spawn from all the available spots. Each spawn has a "score" or "rating" that is constantly being modified based on what is going on around that spawn. Many things can impact the rating of a spawn.

For example, a teammate who recently died would temporarily lower the value of a spawn. Spawns in the path of a Napalm strike should have their values lowered significantly. Etc., all. The complete list of things that modify the value of a spawn is large.

No spawn can ever by 100% eliminated as a choice, because we have to spawn you even if it is less than ideal. It's unfortunate when you spawn directly in front of someone like this video shows (). That shouldn't happen.

During development, we had the spawns running with a low error rate. 98 to 99% of the time for most maps (small maps like Nuketown are an exception) when you spawned you were not killed or injured or able to injure someone within 3 seconds of spawning. The game was instrumented and we were logging this. Our spawn debug tools are the best they have ever been, so I'm disappointed and want to see if we can sort this out.

Please don't bother linking in Nuketown videos. That map is too small to use as the basis for evaluating what is wrong. Use Summit, Launch or Radiation.

The videos are helpful but they just show one bad spawn. They don't help us understand why that spawn point was chosen by the game over another. In order to get to the bottom of that, I need to see "the big picture" of what is going on in the entirety of the map. Please make your video as detailed as possible. Freeze time. Show us the entire map. Were killstreaks in the sky? Where are they aiming. Show me all the players from both teams and any skull (recently deceased friendly) icons.

Hopefully, that makes sense.

For our part, we have re-enabled the spawn logging (this is only something we can do in development, not on the live servers, unfortunately) and are now building up a match library so we can evaluate further.

Please remember what I said before. If we can find and reproduce the steps that causes the error we can fix it.

David 'Vahn' Vonderhaar

#719 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 13:58

i c wot u did thar :P

This all the more confirms my suspicion that they balanced and tested the whole game using offline Combat Training mode and not against real people :P . Yet it also confirms they're more willing to try and fix their game unlike Infinity Ward who would've stopped patching weeks ago.

As with everything ever made by Treyarch, I'd reserve judgment on it until I've played it myself though, since... well, I think we all know by now.
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#720 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 14:09

View PostChyros, on 18 Nov 2010, 13:58, said:

8|

This all the more confirms my suspicion that they balanced and tested the whole game using offline Combat Training mode and not against real people 8| . Yet it also confirms they're more willing to try and fix their game unlike Infinity Ward who would've stopped patching weeks ago.
I would like them to take a long hard look at the weapon stats and then for Larp to let us know why they used a clusterfuck missle to assemble them. That said, I very much agree with you that they must have based their balancing on a CT game and a few beers about two hours before it went on sale.

As with everything ever made by Treyarch, I'd reserve judgment on it until I've played it myself though, since... well, I think we all know by now.
No, please elaborate..........wait, don't, just don't. :P

#721 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 15:01

If I were to ignore Van's response, I'd say only Nuketown has a set and correct and proper spawn point, behind that house for one team and behind the fence for the other team.
Posted Image

#722 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 15:07

It seems that domination games appear to be suffering from this the most. But Nuketown is too small for it to even be considered an issue regarding spawns. You're always right in the middle of a fight no matter what.

#723 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 16:08

You can also see lots of spawning on the training grounds map. In the backlot you can sometimes see whole enemy teams spawn together, it's ridiculous.
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#724 Shirou

Humble darkspawn

• 3328 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 16:38

View PostChyros, on 18 Nov 2010, 14:58, said:

This all the more confirms my suspicion that they balanced and tested the whole game using offline Combat Training mode and not against real people :P .

How can you just assume that, how does this confirm your suspicion about Treyarch not testing their game in multiplayer mode. That is the most ridiculous statement ever. This is the most anticipated game franchise in the entirety of online shooters and you think they do not test it in multiplayer mode? Oh what the hell :s
Posted Image

#725 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 17:26

View PostShirou, on 18 Nov 2010, 18:38, said:

View PostChyros, on 18 Nov 2010, 14:58, said:

i c wot u did thar 8|

This all the more confirms my suspicion that they balanced and tested the whole game using offline Combat Training mode and not against real people 8| .

How can you just assume that, how does this confirm your suspicion about Treyarch not testing their game in multiplayer mode. That is the most ridiculous statement ever. This is the most anticipated game franchise in the entirety of online shooters and you think they do not test it in multiplayer mode? Oh what the hell :s
You'd have to play it to know why I think so ;) . It wouldn't surprise me at all if they really did mostly test it in Combat Training mode - it would explain MANY issues with the game.

As for ridicule - I think you're really really overestimating Treyarch's competence. May I remind you that the PC version is completely unstable to such a degree that it was only playable on the most high-end PCs (and even then, the multiplayer suffered from choppiness if indirectly, for example through shitty hit detection and teleporting all over the place) which is a mistake that's IMPOSSIBLE to miss if you playtest it online for a sole second on any PC :P .

I think it's either they tested a lot in Combat Training, or John From Activision balanced the whole game, or both :P .
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook