TF2 server gets two new custom maps

10 replies to this topic

#1 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 20:09

Two new custom maps have been added to the FS TF2 server. These maps will be nominate-only for now, so that you can get used to them. If they prove to be popular they will be added to the general map rotation.

It is highly recommended that you download these maps through the links below, as it it much slower to download ingame from the server!

First up is cp_stag. It's a 5-point control point map in the style of granary, well and others. The style is based on on an older TF map from other games, and it feels really nostalgic to those of you that have played Quake-style TF/CTF games before. There are two bases clad in concrete and metal which can be entered from various angles (including a sneak route). The middle of the map has a large courtyard with a very exposed middle control point.

Screenshots and map download

Our other map for today is pl_waste. I have not played this map at all, but TheDR hinted at it, so I gave it a look. It is a 5-point payload map like badwater and our other custom map, swiftwater. It is similar to payload race in that both teams can push the cart. The interesting part however is that there is only one cart, and the cart starts on the middle point. Whichever team pushes the cart to the opposing team's base wins. So it is much like a 5-point cp map such as granary, where you have a constant tug-of-war between the points. Except now it's with a cart full of explosives.

Screenshots and map download

I have two more maps to add soonish, namely pl_frontier (with a bomb cart that eats people) and ctf_mach (narrow corridors, styled like cp_stag). I will not add these just yet so that people can keep their overstressed connections happy, and won't have to wait ages if they happen to come upon the server with a custom map playing. However, I am announcing this now so you can grab the maps in advance.

Happy playing!

Edited by CodeCat, 12 May 2010 - 20:38.

CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#2 Liten

Morally Moose

• 326 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 20:31

First link gives nothing, however waste seems like an awsome map :P
Posted Image

Kyle Carter said:

Harry Potter is the safety scissors of the Fantasy genre

#3 ΓΛPTΘΓ

Ecchi Toaster

• Project Team
  • 923 posts
  • Projects: Spam

Posted 12 May 2010 - 20:37

Thanks for update, hope people downloaded before playing to avoid massive load time.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Awesome radio

19:44 - Chyros: I'm very harmless

#4 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 20:39

Link fixed.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#5 MR.Kim

Insane Solider

• Member Test
  • 2740 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 21:28

*Downlaod now*

Thanks for new maps. :P I try test those. :P

#6 Amdrial

Naval Wrenchineer

• Project Leader
  • 3047 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 22:03

I might be a pessimist, but I would prefer to just have a 100% vanilla server without any custom maps (Yes, even scrap meelebarn).
Posted Image
The above signature was made by TheDR.
Posted Image

#7 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 22:12

Most of these maps are at the same kind of quality as the official standard maps. That's why Valve picks some of them and makes them official maps. So what makes custom maps so different if they're good?
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 Nid

Human Being number 80446219302

• Project Team
  • 2501 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:58

I enjoy custom maps too. I've not really heard of any of these though, I dont have any of them already installed.

It may be good to check upon what kind of maps are both popular and of excellent quality, and use that information to help maximise server traffic. But Thanks for letting us know, I'll download them right away. They look excellent, specifically pl_Waste. I've had the idea of a neutral payload for a long time but never got around to either suggesting it or learning to map TF2/source. The developer could have changed the tag though to npl or something, it could cause some confusion to people who download the map from the server for the first time. Neutral bomb is also a popular game mode, or at least was when I used to play Halo 2 a lot, so in Team Fortress 2 it should be an interesting game. :P
Posted Image

#9 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:03

View PostAmdrial, on 12 May 2010, 23:03, said:

I might be a pessimist, but I would prefer to just have a 100% vanilla server without any custom maps (Yes, even scrap meelebarn).

They won't be on the rotation so if some does vote them in, we can ask everyone if they have the map installed before we play.

Also if you have any suggestions for new maps, please say.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#10 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:05

View PostNidmeister, on 13 May 2010, 10:58, said:

It may be good to check upon what kind of maps are both popular and of excellent quality, and use that information to help maximise server traffic.

Frontier is of such high quality and is played on so many servers, that I'm surprised it was freight and not frontier that got added as official custom map.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 Nid

Human Being number 80446219302

• Project Team
  • 2501 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:40

I gave Waste a quick test. It may have been the server I was playing on, but it seems really easy for a team to get in and spawn kill the other team. Too many doors/choke points, it's a map built for large amounts of players really rather than just 12v12 or something.

I've also played Frontier before a long time ago now, I forgot it existed and didn't re-install the map when I re-installed all my steam games. It was one of my favourites though.

Edited by Nidmeister, 14 May 2010 - 10:43.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users