Flood, Search and MP limits

19 replies to this topic

#1 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 15 June 2010 - 17:43

I have a small request, since some of us blueyes have been on the forums for a long while now, and you're pretty sure that we won't be willing to spam them, couldn't we get some kind of reduction of the Flood and Search limits, and more importantly to that silly PM system which allows us to send only one message every 5 minutes.
Now you'll surely say that we aren't likely to send that many messages, but actually that could come in handy if we're actually occasionally trying to have some kind of convo via PMs |8

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#2 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 17:49

So...essentially some blues are 'appointed' as trusted and get reduced limits? |8

Well you could use the IRC or get their MSN/Steam :D
Posted Image

#3 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 17:53

MSN rhymes with two feet long convos which you can't get rid from D:
I avoid using it as much as possible, especially when I just want to say something random |8

#4 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 15 June 2010 - 18:38

Do something useful rather than spamming, get gold member, get reduced flood control, profit |8

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 Jok3r

veritas vos liberabit

• Project Team
  • 1909 posts
  • Projects: Hangar 13 Projects

Posted 15 June 2010 - 18:41

You're aware Gold Member, while it may in name be for people who are good for the forum, is just retired mods, right? |8. Taking away the search flood control would make me very, very happy :D
kinda, sorta alive.

#6 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 00:09

Whine. I've been here twice as long as most of you, and had to deal with it twice as long. This suggestion has been rejected before.

Get over it. |8

Posted Image

#7 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:35

Aye, but we have different moderators and admins now. I'm willing to support the lowering of flood limits.

#8 Golan

<Charcoal tiles available>

• Member Test
  • 3300 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:46

Nah, it will only result in some stupid bloke that everyone thought was mentally stable to snap and flood the forums with stupid spam. |8
Now go out and procreate. IN THE NAME OF DOOM!

#9 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:01

While I appreciate the point you guys are putting across, I will say it nice and simple - I can see no way of implementing this without causing problems. The main issue arises with members registering who we do not know. They can then send unlimited requests to the server for search results, post consistently, stressing the server more, and finally, they can do what we had not too long ago, which was a bot spamming every single person with PMs because there was no limit. We introduced these limits for a reason, and while I trust the majority of the people here, I do not necessarily trust new registriees off the bat. We may look into reducing some of the time limits, but removal completely, just isn't going to happen.
For there can be no death without life.

#10 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:10

I think lowering the PM limit would help. Down from 5 to 3 minutes if you ask me. The flood control on posting and search are fine though. It might annoy you, but bots queue requests heavily from the server, no limit would bring the server to its knees.
Posted Image

#11 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 13:24

View PostAjPod, on 16 Jun 2010, 11:01, said:

While I appreciate the point you guys are putting across, I will say it nice and simple - I can see no way of implementing this without causing problems. The main issue arises with members registering who we do not know. They can then send unlimited requests to the server for search results, post consistently, stressing the server more, and finally, they can do what we had not too long ago, which was a bot spamming every single person with PMs because there was no limit. We introduced these limits for a reason, and while I trust the majority of the people here, I do not necessarily trust new registriees off the bat. We may look into reducing some of the time limits, but removal completely, just isn't going to happen.

I'm not insane yet, I never said all blue members should have those privileges, I just meant that you could create a sort of invisible group for a number of old members, which would grant them those rights... A bit like what you did with the Gold Members, see? |8

#12 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 13:38

And how does one decide who deserves to have these privileges and who doesn't?
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#13 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 13:40

Worse, we'd have to mirror every member group, it'd be a complete mess.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 BeefJeRKy

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 13:41

View PostBob_2, on 16 Jun 2010, 16:38, said:

And how does one decide who deserves to have these privileges and who doesn't?

This is the problem. We'll get too many people nagging to be granted these new rights. I believe this was brought up before. I think that as a blue member, you'll have to deal with it like we always have (at least after '05 when they introduced flood control). Like I said before though, PM flood control could be readjusted.
Posted Image

#15 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 13:43

View PostChyros, on 16 Jun 2010, 14:40, said:

Worse, we'd have to mirror every member group, it'd be a complete mess.

I see, well scrap the idea then, the limit won't kill us after all |8

#16 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 17:44

It is possible to move a member to another group automatically after a certain number of posts. This can be used to automatically 'promote' people who post a lot and we know we can trust.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#17 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 18:06

However, post count != trust worthy.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#18 Jok3r

veritas vos liberabit

• Project Team
  • 1909 posts
  • Projects: Hangar 13 Projects

Posted 16 June 2010 - 18:25

Make an application to fill out (like the PA used to have), perhaps also with a minimum post count requirement, and have it so you need a mod to vouch for you, perhaps?
kinda, sorta alive.

#19 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 18:59

View PostJok3r, on 16 Jun 2010, 20:25, said:

Make an application to fill out (like the PA used to have), perhaps also with a minimum post count requirement, and have it so you need a mod to vouch for you, perhaps?
You can't imagine the shitstorm of accusations of bias that would come along with that.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#20 BeefJeRKy

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 19:21

Yes cue favoritism. I don't want to be put on the spot if I have to tell some member that I won't vouch for them.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users