Music

14 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you (if you do at all) purchase your music? (12 member(s) have cast votes)

Physical

1. CDs (10 votes [62.50%])

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

2. Vinyl (1 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

3. Box sets (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Second hand (3 votes [18.75%])

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

5. I don't buy physical copies (2 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

Digital

1. iTunes (4 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. Label's own store (1 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

3. Amazon digital (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Bandcamp (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Other (specify) (2 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

6. I don't buy digital copies (5 votes [41.67%])

Percentage of vote: 41.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:12

Just a poll thread because I'm bored.

I personally only buy physical copies of music, not only because it is better quality (most of the time, a few digital retailers do offer FLAC) but because I really do enjoy having something that is actually tactile that I can touch and feel (similar to how I feel about games). It makes the investment feel like you actually paid for something (and is quite often not that much more expensive than a digital copy), and quite a lot of my music comes from labels or artists independent enough that the packaging isn't just your normal jewel case. I see album art (and the packaging) as much as an art form as the music itself is.
If I had the money for it, I would buy vinyl.

I would only buy digital in the occasional few times where the music has been either been out of print or ridiculously hard to find, or from places such as Bandcamp (which has complete FLAC) or Gogoyoko (where all of the sale goes to the artist).

Something to note: I'd rather you not vote at all if you don't buy music at all, you'll skew results. I understand that a lot of you don't buy music (which to an extent I agree with, buying from major labels makes it go 50% to the label CEO, 45% to the label and 5% to the artist, whereas I buy from independent labels as much as I can as that's more like 10% label 90% artist) but this is no thread to argue against others that do actually purchase music.

Posted Image

#2 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:28

I always try to buy physical copies of the artist's CDs, but since they aren't sold here (at least not genuine ones), I end up using prepaid cards to buy my music on iTunes... D:

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#3 Warlock

Semi-Pro

• 217 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:36

I always try and get CD's if not I'll get it off itunes |8

I personally prefer CD's though since I prefer physical copies of things (just something that I do - i do the same with games as well). Generally won't use itunes store unless the Album or Song is ridiculously hard to obtain at the shops

#4 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:37

When I do buy content, it is either on a CD if I fancy the album, or iTunes if I just want a track or two. You know, me being quite the Apple fanboy et al |8

What I will note, however, is that I tend to use Spotify at the moment, for £10 a month it's far cheaper than buying albums/songs and is of better quality than iTunes.
For there can be no death without life.

#5 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 18 June 2010 - 13:05

I dont usually buy physical since most of my stuff is all on trackitdown etc

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 18 June 2010 - 15:19

I don't get much physical music for similar reasons to Pav3d. Once in a while I'll go for a CD. I get most of my music from Beatport and sometimes Amazon.

edit: I might try getting some music from the Ubuntu One store sometime.

Edited by scopeJim, 18 June 2010 - 15:20.

Posted Image

#7 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 15:32

I guess I'm the only one who buys second hand then.

You can snag some real bargains. I got a near mint rare out of print 50 minute single for $8 (which I just happened to be looking for for over 2 years), which is worth roughly $45 if I sold it on ebay, which I won't do as I'm a collector. Not to mention the countless albums that I've got for a quarter the price. Considering the music I like generally caters to music addicts instead of the mainstream populace most of the second hand stuff is in really good nick.

Edited by Alias, 18 June 2010 - 15:33.

Posted Image

#8 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 15:43

I haven't seen a second hand shop here in absolutely years. They just do not exist anymore, due to the digital era mostly, I'd imagine. If I were more into the sort of music you appreciate, such as The Beatles/Pink Floyd (not saying I don't like it just not a real collector of it all), then I would imagine I would look more for old records. As it is, not so, and there is no reason to buy a Muse CD second hand, really, they're hardly collectables.
For there can be no death without life.

#9 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 15:47

Most of my music is actually rather recent, Mogwai makes up my largest section (the $8 single I mentioned is an Australian-exclusive edition with half an hour of bonus material). The only second hand store here with decent stock just also happens to be the best record store in the entire country (/extremely biased local opinion |8) as I can import practically anything, which I've had to do multiple times.

I haven't had the need to buy any Floyd or Beatles as my father has the entire discographies already. Floyd and Beatles are both on a major label so things rarely if ever go out of print.

Posted Image

#10 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 16:02

I buy CDs where I can, I like to actually be able to see my music collection, rather than just have a bunch of files lying around. I don't buy second-hand, but that's not just music-specific... I just never buy second-hand. There's just something magical about taking the cellophane of the box of something you have just bought, and taking a big whiff of the toxic smell inside. |8

Unfortunately, a lot of the music I have been listening to (especially over the last year) is underground and often unsigned. Which, in a nutshell, means I couldn't buy a physical copy even if I wanted to, because there aren't any. |8 I haven't actually bought any digital music yet (lack of monies), but if I did, it would probably be from beatport, junodownload, or some other dance/electronic specific service.

I probably would use music streaming services more, but again because of the music I listen to the choice would be limited. I'm happy to just stick to YouTube, that's where I find most of the music, and recently SoundCloud... I don't really like SoundCloud that much, but sometimes good artists don't have a YouTube account, so that's the next best thing.

Edited by Bob_2, 18 June 2010 - 16:04.

Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#11 BeefJeRKy

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 09:34

Bob try Grooveshark. I think you'll find alot of music on it.
Posted Image

#12 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts
  • Projects: So like when is my warn level coming down?

Posted 19 June 2010 - 14:42

The majority of music i get from mates or download from the net seeing as some of it isn't main stream. I only have 9 physical copies

I question the general assumption that i am inherently deficient in the area of grammar and sentence structure

#13 RaiDK

I have an Energon Axe. Your argument is invalid.

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 07:28

View PostMajor Fuckup, on 20 Jun 2010, 0:42, said:

The majority of music i get from mates or download from the net seeing as some of it isn't main stream. I only have 9 physical copies

I don't believe piracy was an option, but whatever.

I buy physical CDs. I'd go digital if it was cheaper than going for a CD and there was some easy way to re-download anything you've bought if you lose it, but there isn't far as I'm aware.

View PostMasonicon, on 17 Oct 2009, 13:44, said:

According to Conspiracy theories in internet, sci-fi and fantasy are real!

#14 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 13:05

Vynils and CDs. Sadly Vynils arent being sold anywhere (unless its being bought second hand on the local car bazaar...and yes people sell alot of other stuff other than cars on that market) so I am left to CD nowadays.
Posted Image

#15 BeefJeRKy

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 14:46

View PostRaiDK, on 22 Jun 2010, 10:28, said:

View PostMajor Fuckup, on 20 Jun 2010, 0:42, said:

I don't believe piracy was an option, but whatever.

I buy physical CDs. I'd go digital if it was cheaper than going for a CD and there was some easy way to re-download anything you've bought if you lose it, but there isn't far as I'm aware.

I don't know but Beatport lets you redownload your files every so often (because redownloading several times in the few days after purchase isn't suspicious?)
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users