First thought crime provisions in the US?

10 replies to this topic

#1 RaiDK

I have an Energon Axe. Your argument is invalid.

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 22:06

http://www.dailytech...px?newsid=18815

Pretty interesting article. Basically, Obama has announced a huge crackdown on piracy, including the means to persecute people who they think will engage in piracy in the future.

Your thoughts?

View PostMasonicon, on 17 Oct 2009, 13:44, said:

According to Conspiracy theories in internet, sci-fi and fantasy are real!

#2 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 23 June 2010 - 22:17

This isn't going to work. I think it might just spur more piracy. While I have turned my back on piracy for the most part over the last year, I think for the music industry, file sharing can help popularize an artist or a song. Get it viral, and most people will really want to download it/acquire it. Sure a certain percentage will torrent/P2p the song, but this is the most free publicity you can get. Studies tend to point that less piracy will increase marketing costs by a great deal and that the "reclaimed downloads" would barely cover this cost.
Posted Image

#3 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 23:31

I think the most worrying part of it is:

According to the Obama administration, the RIAA, and MPAA, the world economy is pretty much doomed if we don't start prosecuting pirates at home and abroad.

The US government has no jurisdiction over me.

Posted Image

#4 RaiDK

I have an Energon Axe. Your argument is invalid.

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 23:42

Pretty much. Though I'd hope that would involve other countries to start doing the same and not trying to persecute them directly.

View PostMasonicon, on 17 Oct 2009, 13:44, said:

According to Conspiracy theories in internet, sci-fi and fantasy are real!

#5 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:58

View PostAlias, on 24 Jun 2010, 1:31, said:

According to the Obama administration, the RIAA, and MPAA, the world economy is pretty much doomed if we don't start prosecuting pirates at home and abroad.

No, but if Australia turns out to have a lot of oil, it gives them a reason to attack your country (OMG there is a pirate in Australia, nuke nuke nuke) |8 .
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 Warlock

Semi-Pro

• 217 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:51

I seriously doubt this will work, I don't think they can get everyone for piracy

#7 Dutchygamer

Shyborg Commander

• Member Test
  • 1899 posts
  • Projects: Frontline Chaos creator and leader, Invasion Confirmed co-leader

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:46

Piracy can't be stopped. Not even the President of the most powerful country (or second most powerful depending on your opinion) can't stop it. It only worries me that those harrasing clubs like RIAA and similar now think that they have more power then ever (and harras us even more) because Obama backs them up.
Posted Image

#8 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:56

View PostscopeJim, on 24 Jun 2010, 0:17, said:

This isn't going to work. I think it might just spur more piracy. While I have turned my back on piracy for the most part over the last year, I think for the music industry, file sharing can help popularize an artist or a song. Get it viral, and most people will really want to download it/acquire it. Sure a certain percentage will torrent/P2p the song, but this is the most free publicity you can get. Studies tend to point that less piracy will increase marketing costs by a great deal and that the "reclaimed downloads" would barely cover this cost.

I argued this a while ago here in some other topic. Given the fact that someone has a limited amount of money and is therefore not going to buy everything, there is no 'lost sale' if they wouldn't have bought it anyway. In this context it's better for the artist/company if people download and share stuff for free than if nobody gets it at all. It's free publicity after all. Just think about it: how many people have convinced you that a game was good enough to pay for (and so you did buy it), when they themselves didn't pay for it? That's the benefit of sharing for you.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#9 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts
  • Projects: So like when is my warn level coming down?

Posted 24 June 2010 - 12:38

View PostChyros, on 24 Jun 2010, 13:58, said:

No, but if Australia turns out to have a lot of oil, it gives them a reason to attack your country (OMG there is a pirate in Australia, nuke nuke nuke) |8 .

What are you talking about we have a lot of oil but we are waiting for the arabs to run out first. Im not worried about being busted for piracy either.

I question the general assumption that i am inherently deficient in the area of grammar and sentence structure

#10 Dr. Strangelove

Grand Poobah and Lord High Everything Else

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts
  • Projects: Where parallels meet.

Posted 24 June 2010 - 18:30

While I think that ideally we shouldn't have piracy, It just seems that there is no way to stop it, and IP heavy industries will just have to adapt.

View PostAlias, on 24 Jun 2010, 0:31, said:

Welcome to international law and legislation through treaty-signing.

View PostChyros, on 24 Jun 2010, 6:58, said:

They do have a lot of Uranium, but Canada is closer...
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#11 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 15:05

I think this is worthwhile a watch.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users