Dawn of War Annihilation

14 replies to this topic

#1 Areze

Gnurf Gnurf Gnurf

• Project Team
  • 2143 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 14:58

I don't know if anyone remembers me, but hey.

I was wondering if anyone played this. It's pretty fun, add to DC without disorienting you. Defenses are a lot stronger here and go through units like a hot chainsaw through butter. IG are a little imba too with one being able to lay into their command squad with a bunch of 'rines and hardly faze them, as well as other stuff (Guardsmen do more damage than 'rines while being more numerous. LULWUT? Not a fluff maniac so maybe I'm drawing a wrong conclusion here).

EDIT: Here's some screenies.

1st Company Veterans and an Emperor's Champion. My personal Chapter.

Posted Image

Banner Bearer and Termies

Posted Image

Really BIG DAMN SQUIGGOTH

Posted Image

Edited by Areze, 08 July 2010 - 15:14.

Writing Thread

#2 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 15:06

Wow, haven't seen you around for a while.

I've tried many mods for Dark Crusade but I never like any of them. While the balance in DC1.2 is a bit broken, a lot of mods break it even further. I remember trying this about a year and a half ago, and it appears that there hasn't been an update since then.

In other news, you should play multiplayer with us sometime.

Posted Image

#3 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 15:07

Never played it and with FoK out there I doubt I will either. What does it add that is specifically good other than an imba IG?

Edit: @ Alias, have you got/played FoK btw?

Edited by Wizard, 08 July 2010 - 15:08.

#4 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 08 July 2010 - 15:07

I've played it, but only as singleplayer. We tried it for a multiplayer match once and it caused loads of mis-matches. It added a ton of variety but I never got much of a chance to test the balance.

Never played it and with FoK out there I doubt I will either. What does it add that is specifically good other than an imba IG?

From what I remember it adds loads of units for each race. Chaos also gets a system that I loved. At the start you choose a god to follow and the units you can access + the look / playstyle of your lord reflect this.

It also added new gamemodes. Including one where units would gain experience. As they gained more experience they got new ranks / more health / damage as well as nice looking special effects. It rewarded clever use of units.

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 08 July 2010 - 15:10.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 15:13

View PostWizard, on 9 Jul 2010, 1:07, said:

Edit: @ Alias, have you got/played FoK btw?
Tried it and didn't like it. It messes with the main game structure far too much. I mean I appreciate the content but it is just too different from vDC for me to like it.

Posted Image

#6 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 15:17

It changes the unit limit and cost considerably, in line with the table top version. But the added content and exceptionally quality of the work more than makes up for the difference from vanilla in my eyes.

#7 Areze

Gnurf Gnurf Gnurf

• Project Team
  • 2143 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 15:18

See the screens for a few of what they have. I can't make a comprehensive list but there's like a lot.

@Alias: People remember me? Too used to being in the shadows then. Rather surprised. The IG aren't super broken, just unexpectedly beefier after so long of being the butt monkey. Their Shadowsword Titanicus is rather ridiculous though. But so is a lot of relic units. The Command Squad has Col. Brom from DoW1 in there, which is probably a good reason why it's so strong.

I heard of the mismatch problems. Never tried it multy though so I wouldn't have much of a gauge.
Writing Thread

#8 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 15:24

View PostWizard, on 9 Jul 2010, 1:17, said:

It changes the unit limit and cost considerably, in line with the table top version. But the added content and exceptionally quality of the work more than makes up for the difference from vanilla in my eyes.
I might change my mind if I try it in multiplayer, but I haven't got the current version downloaded yet. But I'll try get it sometime soon so we can have some multiplayer games with it, although I much prefer DC 1.2.

View PostAreze, on 9 Jul 2010, 1:18, said:

@Alias: People remember me? Too used to being in the shadows then.
The very few that are left, I guess. A lot of the older crowd have moved to greener pastures now.

Posted Image

#9 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 15:27

View PostAlias, on 8 Jul 2010, 16:24, said:

View PostWizard, on 9 Jul 2010, 1:17, said:

I might change my mind if I try it in multiplayer, but I haven't got the current version downloaded yet. But I'll try get it sometime soon so we can have some multiplayer games with it, although I much prefer DC 1.2.

It is certainly appealing and slightly more tactical given the harder counters and limited ability to reinforce away from Uber units or capped LPs. Plus the sheer scale of it is much more 40k then anything else I've come across.

@ Ion, FoK has the ability to earn XP as well. However it isn't it's best or most used feature.

#10 Areze

Gnurf Gnurf Gnurf

• Project Team
  • 2143 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 15:32

View PostAlias, on 8 Jul 2010, 10:24, said:

The very few that are left, I guess. A lot of the older crowd have moved to greener pastures now.

Yeah, the forum has never been very big. I got bored with ZH, couldn't afford CNC3, and it got a bit cliquish for me (that and I had a bunch of personal issues. Mostly that last).

As for the game, it balances it all out quite a bit. 'cron equipment is fuckloads pricier, and they don;t lose the instant the monolith goes boom, as the cores can train units as well. Tau have been tweaked, but either way I'm not sure. I'm guessing nerfed as I heard they were a little too strong. 'rines have changed the most IMO, with two more heros and a bunch of new units. <3 Land Raider Crusader

EDIT: Anni's got the Hero feature too. It's borderline necessary for melee units as they drop like flies (at least Kroot do) against heavy ranged fire like defenses. I agree it clutters up the announcement thing though and having it for builder units is just unnecessary. I like it however, but Anni can turn it off if it's too much of a problem. To each their own I guess.

Edited by Areze, 08 July 2010 - 15:35.

Writing Thread

#11 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 15:36

I might give this a go. FoK does change a lot more than is ultimately needed to make vanilla better. This might be a happier medium of a mod.

#12 Areze

Gnurf Gnurf Gnurf

• Project Team
  • 2143 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 16:06

I've tried FoK. It was neat, but it changed too much too fast, meaning I effectively had to relearn how to play. The perspective bugged me constantly; It just didn't feel 'right'. The last is more of my issue, but it took way too long to load. Seriously, a twofer skirmish took like 5-10 minutes to load. It took so long I though the thing froze. It did look cool, though, I liked how they had the alternate trees like Chaos dedicating themselves to Khorne or Tzeench or whatnot.
Writing Thread

#13 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 08 July 2010 - 16:38

I thought they had

I liked how they had the alternate trees like Chaos dedicating themselves to Khorne or Tzeench or whatnot.
in Annihilation? Maybe I am thinking of a different mod then, but it wasn't FoK, maybe i'm thinking of DC Enhanced?

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 08 July 2010 - 16:39.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 Areze

Gnurf Gnurf Gnurf

• Project Team
  • 2143 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 16:49

View PostIon Cannon!, on 8 Jul 2010, 11:38, said:

I thought they had

I liked how they had the alternate trees like Chaos dedicating themselves to Khorne or Tzeench or whatnot.
in Annihilation? Maybe I am thinking of a different mod then, but it wasn't FoK, maybe i'm thinking of DC Enhanced?

FoK. I wish Anni had it. T'would be great. I think the mod's dead though. |8

Edited by Areze, 08 July 2010 - 16:53.

Writing Thread

#15 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 16 July 2010 - 22:41

View PostIon Cannon!, on 8 Jul 2010, 19:38, said:

I thought they had

Was it DCPro?
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users