IE9 Beta

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 12:23

Finally got around to testing this. For the most part, it seems to be a 'proper' browser at last; I never thought I'd see the day! :xD:

I've only quickly tested a few of my websites, but they all load and function properly. As for the supposed superior speed, I certainly haven't seen it yet. Recently I've been developing a system where you can drag boxes around and resize them. It works correctly in IE9, but it's pretty laggy, and as a result doesn't look that nice. So far, however, I have only been testing it in FF, but it works (speed wise) the same or better in all the other major browsers.

I don't know what can and cannot be customised with IE9, but with past versions, it's usually not much. There are already a few irritations I have found:

- Tab previews show up in the task bar (in win7), that might be OK for some people, but when you want to simply go back to IE9, and instead of being taken there, you then have to select a tab to view as well, it's just a massive time waster in the long run.

- Tabs next to the URL bar - a horrible choice. This severely limits the number of tabs you can have open.

- No title, this is a problem FF4 suffers with as well... They have removed the title from the titlebar... OK, but they've kept the title bar there... lolwur? Going back to the previous point, you could split the url and tabs up, and still use the same amount of room or at the very least move the current set up up to where the titlebar should be. It's just wasted space otherwise.

- Compatibility mode is still present. I understand why it exists... but it's just encouraging people to old or incorrect web standards in their websites. :lol:

There are a few neat features, although most seem to be from previous versions anyway... What do you guys think of IE9?

Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#2 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 26 September 2010 - 12:44

I think Microsoft have finally given us a browser that doesn't just exit to download another browser. It's relatively fast (Chrome and FF4 are faster), but it now doesn't have any broken pages, and the GPU acceleration works very smoothly. On Windows 7, the pinned tabs is a neat feature especially when sites support it (so far I've found Twitter and Facebook) and I must say overall it's a positive experience. Another good thing is the way it handles add-ons now and lets you know how much each one delays its launch, so you can disable it if needed. And it is relatively crash-free something that Chrome has been trying to be with me, so I've replaced Chrome with IE9 (:lol: yes I just did). I'm still using FF4 as my mainstay browser.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users