FIFA is above the law

8 replies to this topic

#1 Shirou

Humble darkspawn

• 3328 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:27

Saw on the news today my country, running to host the worldcup for 2018 or 2022 with Belgium, has officially rejected the demands FIFA filed in at our government.

For good reason, for the FIFA increasingly thinks they are above the law. FIFA wants something akin to sovereign immunity for their employees (why, exactly?), and that after they attempted to prosecute and threaten the 'Bavaria girls'' with months of prison time, for wearing a certain orange dress in South Africa. The FIFA also does not want to heed to the arbolaw (the dutch law that prescribes working conditions, working hours etc that employers see to). What within the FIFA makes these laws a problem?

Whats your opinion on this. It reminds me of third world practices where corporate douchebags ignore the law because their money allows them to. I regard this as an abuse of power and monopoly which seriously undermines all that is a World Football Cup. I always thought a country organizing the cup, is a country organzing the cup, not a piece of land for the monarchs of FIFA to organize their cup.

For god's sake if it does come around, don't put Sepp Blatter in a helicopter or we too will have giant useless arenas in all too visible locations. To me stuff like this kills the party upfront. Competitor england can have the WC if it has to be like this. Not too far away anyway.

What are your thoughts on this?

Edited by Shirou, 09 October 2010 - 09:30.

Posted Image

#2 Dutchygamer

Shyborg Commander

• Member Test
  • 1899 posts
  • Projects: Frontline Chaos creator and leader, Invasion Confirmed co-leader

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:53

Meh, saves us a lot of money.
And still, why does the FIFA wants to let a country host it if half of the ppl of the country disagree about the costs and/or advantages FIFA gets?
Posted Image

#3 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:56

IMO it's quite logical that FIFA try to squeeze as much out of it as they can, and the fact that they dare to impose such demands is just because if not us then a dozen other countries will gladly step forward to host the event. That doesn't mean we should accept though, of course.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 Generalcamo

Casual

• 78 posts
  • Projects: None

Posted 09 October 2010 - 23:12

I really don't agree to this, a powerful orginazation should NOT rule over lesser peoples. FIFA should have been fined for this. Let people dress how they want. Don't think you can ruin a culture just becuase you have 10000 you just happan to donate...
Supporter of Stalin

#5 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:46

IDK about the money loss you are talking about...IIRC Germany made massive profits from hosting the WC.
Posted Image

#6 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 10 October 2010 - 17:53

I think the tourism potential is huge especially when a country is already somewhat developed and doesn't need to overhaul its infrastructure, but regardless of this the FIFA shouldn't be granted extra benefits just because it is FIFA.
Posted Image

#7 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 20:59

View Postscope, on 10 Oct 2010, 19:53, said:

I think the tourism potential is huge especially when a country is already somewhat developed and doesn't need to overhaul its infrastructure, but regardless of this the FIFA shouldn't be granted extra benefits just because it is FIFA.
Of course not, but being a commercial company, why shouldn't they be allowed to ask for them? A merchant doesn't start off with the price he actually expects to get, either.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 Shirou

Humble darkspawn

• 3328 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 21:47

These aren't ''extra benefits'' they ask for, this is the fucking law. By the time companies get it in their heads that a country may go far and suspend those laws just for the company, is the time corporatism takes a turn for the worse.

Added to that I find it rather dubious how their employees apparently need immunity from the law and apparently don't like fair use policies regarding employees either...

They should think twice before trying to impose the sort of control on a western country similar to what they were able to do to a weak country like South Africa.
Posted Image

#9 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 22:06

Well then, if our country isn't "weak", then we'll see them refuse the offer as it is, no?

(I doubt they would, tbh)
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users