Space Marine

12 replies to this topic

#1 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 23:51

Available to buy, 29th November 2010

Can't say they've done the greatest job on it, but I still think I'll be buying it.

#2 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 25 November 2010 - 00:18

Oooo looks like fun. Tho voice acting seems a bit... off.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts
  • Projects: Shoot. Chop. Smash. Stomp.

Posted 25 November 2010 - 16:55

The premise is good, and it's about time a "decent" 40k movie was made. There were some made in the late 80's and early 90's that just didn't do 40k any justice because they lacked the special FX and computer generated animation that we have today. Voice-overs by the likes of John Hurt and Terence Stamp add to the credibility. I wonder how well it'll go over with hard-core 40k fans.

Edited by Sgt. Nuker, 25 November 2010 - 19:40.

Posted Image

#4 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 14:57

View PostSgt. Nuker, on 25 Nov 2010, 16:55, said:

I wonder how well it'll go over with hard-core 40k fans.

I'll let you know, I'll be watching this soon :)

#5 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 00:35

I don't really like it judging from the trailer. The animation is jerky and the concept of it just seems really cheesy.

#6 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:00

Ultramarines*

The film is named Ultramarines, the game Space Marine. Normal mistake.

The graphics looked very poor in the beginning, they've gotten better, but I still don't know what to think of it :rolleyes: . It looks athmospheric though, and the voiceacting is pretty good, even if it feels...off.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#7 Nid

Human Being number 80446219302

• Project Team
  • 2501 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 16:29

I didn't notice this, I'll probably be getting it to watch it. Looks a bit DoW ish at times, especially as the bolters seem to have a higher rate of fire than they should, as with Dawn of War) but I think it will go down well seeing as nothing succesful has really come before this.

Edited by Nidmeister, 07 December 2010 - 16:29.

Posted Image

#8 NergiZed

^^^ Pronouced like the battery brand ^^^

• 2992 posts
  • Projects: Shockwave and Rise of the Reds

Posted 12 December 2010 - 21:05

For a fan-made project, that looks fantastic~!

Good work lads!

There are a few games out there that need a movie (Halo, Mass Effect, and Warhammer 40K), and I'd really like to see some of them get made.

#9 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 21:11

...It's not a fan movie, it's the official Warhammer 40k movie, the fanmade one was Damnatus.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#10 NergiZed

^^^ Pronouced like the battery brand ^^^

• 2992 posts
  • Projects: Shockwave and Rise of the Reds

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:23

View PostSquigPie, on 12 Dec 2010, 16:11, said:

...It's not a fan movie, it's the official Warhammer 40k movie, the fanmade one was Damnatus.

Are. You. Fukken. Serious?

For an official production, that was pretty God-damn sub-par.

So mediocre in fact, I thought it was fan-made.

I will be torrenting this when it's out, but money for shit like that? Never.

#11 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:30

View PostNergiZed, on 13 Dec 2010, 10:23, said:

View PostSquigPie, on 12 Dec 2010, 16:11, said:

Are. You. Fukken. Serious?

For an official production, that was pretty God-damn sub-par.

So mediocre in fact, I thought it was fan-made.

I will be torrenting this when it's out, but money for shit like that? Never.

:P

Fastest shift of opinion ever.

Although you have to remember one thing, the guys who're making this don't have alot of money to work with, they don't exactly have a Pixar/Dreamworks budget. And GW (being the greedy ol' bastards they are) won't support them financially.

Edited by SquigPie, 13 December 2010 - 09:34.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#12 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:54

The movie obviously does not have Hollywood production standards, and as Squig said, for what GW and it's associate studios can muster it doesn't look bad. I have this on my list to get, but they've had some production/release issues so I am waiting till the end of the month before I get it. When I do, I'll PM you :P

#13 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 16:24

From Wikipedia:

Preview screenings of Ultramarines: The Movie has received generally favorable responses from viewers. The film itself is seen favorably however the CGI and animations are seen as sub par.

The film has received generally favourable reviews. Some critics praised the story, saying that it is short but well paced and with good character interaction. While others said the story was straightforward, slow to get to the action and lacked the hyped 'mystery'. The music has been seen as a positive aspect of the film, with one reviewer saying that the score was "ominous and awe-inspiring by turn; never over-powering but lending a real atmosphere to the film". The film's attention to detail and loyalty to the Intellectual Property was also noted, with the film website Ain'tItCool.com saying "every piece of stained glass in the background tells a story, the equipment is everything you want to see in action and when the violence ramps up, it is bloody and brutal in all the ways you expect 40K to deliver.". The reviews of Dakkadakka and BellOfLostSoulsnet were critical of the CGI animation, with BellOfTheLostSouls saying "[They] don’t really manage to communicate their [character's] size or strength all that well."

BellOfLostSouls.net gave the film a rating of 4/5, saying "I would give this a solid 4/5. I might be giving it a bit of slack since it’s the first one of its kind, but honestly, I want to see more of this."

Not suprised about the criticism of the animation, but apart from that, they really seemed to like it.

Edited by SquigPie, 16 December 2010 - 16:25.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users