Careers in the Games Industry

6 replies to this topic

#1 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:46

As we have some talented modders here I noticed this post and thought it might be useful for some :P

As a supplement to our feature story about the Australian games education sector, IGN asked 10 members of the game development community for the best advice they could give to those looking to gain employment within the local market. Our thanks to everyone who participated in creating this feature.

Helpful Sauce

#2 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 13 December 2010 - 13:20

Read this yesterday, interesting article, particularly when Leigh Miller mentions that he doesnt have a degree to do with gaming and learn his skills using google... says a lot about gaming degrees :P

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 13 December 2010 - 13:34

View PostPav:3d, on 13 Dec 2010, 13:20, said:

Read this yesterday, interesting article, particularly when Leigh Miller mentions that he doesnt have a degree to do with gaming and learn his skills using google... says a lot about gaming degrees :P

There has been quite alot of criticism of game degrees by people in the industry, specifically they're to general and don't focus enough on learning one or two skills. Which is what they're after. Games companys don't want someone who is average at everything, they want someone who is exceptionally skilled at modelling or texturing. It's always useful to know some things about other sectors, but essentially your going to be a 3D artist, texture artist or a programmer.

I also think modding is a good way to enter the scene and pick up experience at the same time. For example Pav, your modelling and texturing skills are very proficient and you have a portfolio of work. Have you tried contacting various game companies to see if they're interested?
Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 13 December 2010 - 13:52

View PostIon Cannon!, on 13 Dec 2010, 13:34, said:

View PostPav:3d, on 13 Dec 2010, 13:20, said:

There has been quite alot of criticism of game degrees by people in the industry, specifically they're to general and don't focus enough on learning one or two skills. Which is what they're after. Games companys don't want someone who is average at everything, they want someone who is exceptionally skilled at modelling or texturing. It's always useful to know some things about other sectors, but essentially your going to be a 3D artist, texture artist or a programmer.

I also think modding is a good way to enter the scene and pick up experience at the same time. For example Pav, your modelling and texturing skills are very proficient and you have a portfolio of work. Have you tried contacting various game companies to see if they're interested?

Its true, my degree is rather general and its incredibly frustrating, im in two minds about just dropping out after this year and trying some fulltime 3ds course of something.

I havent contacted any yet, no. I still need examples of other things I can do, I think anyway :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 13:56

My wife needs a lot of 3d rendering work done for her job. Right now her company uses a chap in New York to visualise their designs. They pay the guy a fecking bucketload for it. It might be worth a look mate.

#6 Umbrella Secrets

Experimenting

• 658 posts
  • Projects: I'm with the Mapper Guild Projects

Posted 13 December 2010 - 14:22

That was a very helpful article, thanks Wizard. :P All of my artwork still needs improving, but I guess it will get better over time. :D
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 18:47

I think it's worth of note that this article is focussed on the Australian development market, which is far smaller than others. The only 'blockbuster' games to be developed or assisted to be developed are BioShock and the Total War games. If you aren't from Australia I would take it with a grain of salt.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users