Congresswoman Shot in Head

10 replies to this topic

#1 Areze

Gnurf Gnurf Gnurf

• Project Team
  • 2143 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 21:46

Source

A US congresswoman has been shot at a public event in southern Arizona in an attack in which a child was killed.

Democratic Representative Gabrielle Giffords, 40, was shot in the head at close range in front of hundreds of people in Tucson.

She and four other people are in a critical condition, a hospital doctor told reporters. He said he was "very optimistic about her recovery".

A man was arrested by police after the shooting. The motive remains unclear.

The Associated Press news agency reports that a federal judge and one of Ms Giffords' political aides were killed in the shooting.

Several other people received "non-life-threatening" injuries in the shooting.
President Barack Obama has described the events in Tucson as "an unspeakable tragedy".

'Senseless'
Ms Giffords, 40, who represents the eighth district of Arizona in the US House of Representatives, is married to space shuttle astronaut Mark Kelly.
She has served on several congressional committees, including those covering the armed services and foreign affairs.

Jeff Rogers, chairman of the local Democrats, told BBC News that Ms Giffords was "a rising star" in the party with hopes of eventually winning the Arizona Senate seat.

He described her as "a wonderful congresswoman and a wonderful person", adding: "We just can't continue to have this kind of carnage on school campuses and against public officials."

In a statement issued by the White House, President Obama said: "This morning, in an unspeakable tragedy, a number of Americans were shot in Tucson, Arizona, at a constituent meeting with Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords.

"And while we are continuing to receive information, we know that some have passed away, and that Representative Giffords is gravely wounded.

"We do not yet have all the answers. What we do know is that such a senseless and terrible act of violence has no place in a free society.

"I ask all Americans to join me and Michelle in keeping Representative Giffords, the victims of this tragedy, and their families in our prayers."

The Speaker of the House or Representatives, John Boehner, said: "I am horrified by the senseless attack on Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and members of her staff.

"An attack on one who serves is an attack on all who serve. Acts and threats of violence against public officials have no place in our society. Our prayers are with Congresswoman Giffords, her staff, all who were injured, and their families. This is a sad day for our country."

Holy shit. I knew some of the right-wingers were were nuts, but damn.
Writing Thread

#2 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:44

She was on the Tea Party list of people who should die, from what I've heard.

Not that Democrats are any better but holy shit, who the hell would ever vote Republican over there? :duh:
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 14:39

View PostChyros, on 9 Jan 2011, 10:44, said:

You heard wrong. It was the list of districts which should be taken over during the next election (because they voted for the healthcare bill)...however some dipstick decided to mark them with targets when making the picture.

Edited by TehKiller, 09 January 2011 - 14:42.

Posted Image

#4 Areze

Gnurf Gnurf Gnurf

• Project Team
  • 2143 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 16:19

View PostTehKiller, on 9 Jan 2011, 8:39, said:

...however some dipstick decided to mark them with targets when making the picture.

For what it's worth, it was on Palin's website.
Writing Thread

#5 Golan

<Charcoal tiles available>

• Member Test
  • 3300 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 18:41

View PostTehKiller, on 9 Jan 2011, 14:39, said:

View PostChyros, on 9 Jan 2011, 10:44, said:

You heard wrong. It was the list of districts which should be taken over during the next election (because they voted for the healthcare bill)...however some dipstick decided to mark them with targets when making the picture.

Do not retreat! Instead - reload.

€dit:
Oh my bad, missquoted Miss Palin.

Don't Retreat, Instead - RELOAD!

We'll aim for these races and many others. This is just the first salvo in a fight to elect people across the nation who will bring common sense to Washington

Too bad the shooter probably was a lib dem.

Edited by Golan, 09 January 2011 - 19:02.

Now go out and procreate. IN THE NAME OF DOOM!

#6 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:09

Because killing Democrats is an excellent way to get the public on your side, TEA Party members!

I wonder if Palin ever took a second to consider that there are people stupidly loyal and radical enough to take her "jokes" seriously, not that I see how a "joke" about shooting someone, especially a politician, could be considered great practice by anyone.

Of course it's hard to pin it on the right-wingers since the motives of the shooter aren't clear yet, so I won't take any real sides just yet. It wouldn't surprise me though.

View PostChyros, on 9 Jan 2011, 4:44, said:

Not that Democrats are any better but holy shit, who the hell would ever vote Republican over there? :duh:

The TEA Party and the Republican Party are not the same thing. It's like comparing Martin Luther to the Pope.

Edited by Hobbesy, 10 January 2011 - 02:16.

#7 Areze

Gnurf Gnurf Gnurf

• Project Team
  • 2143 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:10

From what I heard, the guy was off in the head to the level of the Timecube guy.
Writing Thread

#8 Ghostrider

Duly Appointed Federal Marshal

• Project Team
  • 991 posts
  • Projects: The Pants Party, Irradiated Inc.

Posted 10 January 2011 - 16:42

An interesting video about Rep. Giffords head wound:

Posted Image
AJ is responsible for this signature masterpiece... if you see him, tell him I say thanks.
Posted Image

#9 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 18:55

Heh, and do you know what they show us about this news in the Netherlands?

This is what they posted as a cartoon in one of the foremost news sites in the Netherlands regarding this subject.

Posted Image
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 19:09

Update: The attack was an assasination attempt.

It was planned: A deadly deliberate attempted assassination of a Democrat politician that spiralled into a murderous rampage, killing six and wounding 14, including the original target, Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, who survived being shot through the head.

The words “I planned ahead,” “Giffords” and “My Assassination” were scrawled on papers recovered from Jared Loughner’s home in Tucson, authorities said. The 22-year-old college dropout, whose angry but often inchoate Internet postings paint a disturbing picture, is charged with attempted assassination of a member of Congress and multiple counts of killing federal employees. He will also certainly face state murder and other charges.

Edited by Hobbesy, 10 January 2011 - 19:10.

#11 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 19:55

[quote name='Ghostrider' post='834045' date='10 Jan 2011, 16:42']An interesting video about Rep. Giffords head wound:
[/quote]
Wow, very interesting stuff.

I don't have much to say on the political side of things, all i hope is that she recovers from such a horrible attack.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users