Your favored medium of Entertainment

12 replies to this topic

Poll: Pick one Medium (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Mediums

1. Video Games (16 votes [37.21%])

Percentage of vote: 37.21%

2. Film (& TV) (11 votes [25.58%])

Percentage of vote: 25.58%

3. Books (6 votes [13.95%])

Percentage of vote: 13.95%

4. Theater/Live Performance (1 votes [2.33%])

Percentage of vote: 2.33%

5. Music (6 votes [13.95%])

Percentage of vote: 13.95%

6. Radio (talk) (1 votes [2.33%])

Percentage of vote: 2.33%

7. Other (2 votes [4.65%])

Percentage of vote: 4.65%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:28

I was wondering what peoples favorite medium of entertainment were. If you can't pick 'just one', please use the multiple choice, but everyone should try to pick a favorite as it makes the results more interesting.

If i have missed out any people feel should be added, just ask and i will chuck them in if they are viable.

I personally enjoy films, games and music. I struggle to choose between film and games. Film (and TV) are a special interest of mine because i am studying it, however games capture a more personal experience as you feel like you are part of the story (this is debatable though). Music is an odd one for me. Even though i wouldn't consider it as a favorite medium, film and games would be lost without it. However multiplayer games tent to lack music so you could also argue that it's not needed :P

This should be an interesting subject and I'm looking forward to seeing the responses.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#2 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:31

Video Games, with Books as a close second.

I just wish games would have a better plot.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#3 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:35

Video Games + TV/Film etc, although I am partial to a decent live performance of something every now and then.

#4 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:43

Music is easily first, then games/film.

Posted Image

#5 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:46

View PostSquigPie, on 11 Jan 2011, 13:31, said:

There are many reasons why games can't have a better plot. One of them being it's hard to jump from one place to another in a game without people feeling that they have no control. For example, in film you would hear someone come through a door but not see them, all you would need is a door opening sound effect and some footsteps. In a game, unless you were in a cut-scene (they are basically mini films :P), you would be able to turn around and see the person walking through the door, which ruins the whole idea around the mysterious door opening. It also brings up the point that you need to set games in a 1st person perspective (as in storywise, telling it from the persons point of view, not the angle of the vision) as you need to control a character for the games story to make sense.

These are just a couple of the reasons why games in our generation seem to be crap at story telling. Its not the game companies fault, it's the limitations of the medium (one of the reasons i prefer film over games, less limitations on story telling, however the same argument can be used against film and books. Arguably less limitations in books as you don't have to visually show it as you are putting ideas into peoples minds).

Edited by TheDR, 11 January 2011 - 12:47.

Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#6 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 14:09

Can't choose between Games and Films, they are both great for different reasons. Films/TV allow you to sit back and absorb what is going on. Where as, sometimes, in games, you can be concentrating so much on do x, y & z, that you miss important story pieces or great visuals, but they make up in other departments...

Music would be a close second (or third, whichever way you want to look at it). I definitely like my music, only 3 or 4 years I didn't really listen to any, but I finally found some stuff that I could honestly say I like and I haven't looked back since. As much as I like it though, I don't find it as engaging as films or games... Perhaps because I am very much a multi-tasker, and don't like sitting 'round doing 'nothing'.

Edited by Bob, 11 January 2011 - 14:09.

Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#7 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 14:58

View PostTheDR, on 11 Jan 2011, 13:46, said:

There are many reasons why games can't have a better plot. One of them being it's hard to jump from one place to another in a game without people feeling that they have no control. For example, in film you would hear someone come through a door but not see them, all you would need is a door opening sound effect and some footsteps. In a game, unless you were in a cut-scene (they are basically mini films :P), you would be able to turn around and see the person walking through the door, which ruins the whole idea around the mysterious door opening. It also brings up the point that you need to set games in a 1st person perspective (as in storywise, telling it from the persons point of view, not the angle of the vision) as you need to control a character for the games story to make sense.

These are just a couple of the reasons why games in our generation seem to be crap at story telling. Its not the game companies fault, it's the limitations of the medium (one of the reasons i prefer film over games, less limitations on story telling, however the same argument can be used against film and books. Arguably less limitations in books as you don't have to visually show it as you are putting ideas into peoples minds).

That's a good reason, but the REAL reason why the plots in video games suck is because the devs don't really care. They usually put one of the Designers on the writing job.

And it's the same reason why Bioshock was so aclaimed, it had about 5 cutscenes, most of them very short, and still it managed to explain a very deep background and story through Audiologs and the architecture. If you didn't care for the plot, you could just go through the whole thing without picking up audiologs.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#8 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 11 January 2011 - 19:21

Books next movies (not TV) next games next music. Something about a well written book will have me hooked. I like it when the author leads me. Similarly a well directed and written movie will also have me hooked. Sadly, very little TV show have that effect on me. Games are awesome for the immersion factor but can rarely grip me as much as the previous two media. Finally music is a different level for me. Some music I listen for the rhythm and melody while others I listen to for lyrics. But they definitely do not really work as a story telling device for me.
Posted Image

#9 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 20:22

Movies as a favourite, games a close second. Music and radio and books third, though I didn't vote for those as not to confuse the vote.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:23

View PostSquigPie, on 11 Jan 2011, 14:58, said:

View PostTheDR, on 11 Jan 2011, 13:46, said:

That's a good reason, but the REAL reason why the plots in video games suck is because the devs don't really care. They usually put one of the Designers on the writing job.

And it's the same reason why Bioshock was so aclaimed, it had about 5 cutscenes, most of them very short, and still it managed to explain a very deep background and story through Audiologs and the architecture. If you didn't care for the plot, you could just go through the whole thing without picking up audiologs.

Well even though Bioshock was a great story, it doesn't flow as well as a movie would (apart from the opening sequence, that was very awesome, but half of it was stuck in a transport thing, so it might of well of been a cut scene), but can a game ever flow as good a film?. The Audiologs did create an amazing world, but the problem was the experience felt quite regimented as you would find the logs periodically, it was natural enough. However Bioshock did the narrative very well. What they did is instead of coping films for how to tell a story, it told a story as if it was a video game, much like Half Life had done before it. These are the steps more games have to take before we start to get most of the mainstream video games to actually have a good narrative.

View PostScope, on 11 Jan 2011, 19:21, said:

Books next movies (not TV) next games next music. Something about a well written book will have me hooked. I like it when the author leads me. Similarly a well directed and written movie will also have me hooked. Sadly, very little TV show have that effect on me. Games are awesome for the immersion factor but can rarely grip me as much as the previous two media. Finally music is a different level for me. Some music I listen for the rhythm and melody while others I listen to for lyrics. But they definitely do not really work as a story telling device for me.

Oh what i meant by TV was more the 'video element' of it, rather than whats on the TV itself.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#11 Mbob61

I may or may not be iron man!

• Project Team
  • 3068 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict

Posted 13 January 2011 - 16:16

To be honest, I'm finding it very difficult to pick a favourite as they are all so situational. I really enjoy all of the options, except theatre, but they all have their different moments.
If i am working or chilling out and i just want something in the background, both music and radio fit perfectly. Although, i don't really like listening to music on the radio. I prefer to make my own choice depending on my mood so i tend to go for stations like 5 live.
If I want something which requires a bit more of my attention, it will be either a good film or tv program. However, the only tv programs which can really hold my attention are big budget things like House or Lost which are almost films anyway.
If i want something really immersive, books win hands down. Although i haven't been properly reading for very long, I've really enjoyed the books i have read and found they can hold my attention like nothing else. The "His Dark Materials" trilogy literally hooked me from start to finish to the point where i could barely put them down :sly:
Strangely, i find games can fit into all 3 of these categories depending on what game i want to play. That is what makes games so enjoyable in my opinion; the versatility they offer. If I don't really want a very deep experience but just some easy fun, i will play something like MW online or prototype. On the other hand, if i want something to really get stuck in to, i can pick up a game like oblivion which offers so much more if you have the time for it.

If I HAD to pick a favourite, i would go for books, with games a close second, then music. The potential for a solid plot, character development in a book is SO much greater than almost any game or film. They don't have to worry about either time (for those who have read LOTR, just imagine how long the films would have been if they didn't miss a lot of stuff out :P) or things like camera angles etc. They are just purely focused on what really matters, the story. Games are a close second thanks to their versatility and interactivity but I'm a sucker for a good story so books just edge games out :D

Mike

Edited by Mbob61, 13 January 2011 - 16:35.

Thanks to Pav3d for the awesome sigs
Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 23:26

Tbh the mount of "radio" reactions is very low but it doesn't surprise me too much. Personally the radio is quite important to myself though, since it's both music as well as entertainment to me. I'm interested how many of you listen to the radio a lot.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#13 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:24

Depending on how much time I get, I listen to a couple of programmes on the iPlayer each week... one mainly for the music (Kutski) and one for the music and the entertainment (Fabio and Grooverider). A few weeks back, they started playing an abridged version of the Red Dwarf audio books, and I listened to some of those.

I used to listen to Scott Mills on Radio 1, purely for the entertainment, absolutely hated the pop music he played... but it's a day time radio show... it can't be helped. :sly:

EDIT: But at the moment, it certainly isn't that high up my entertainment priority list...

Edited by Bob, 14 January 2011 - 10:26.

Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users