Turkey

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

#1 Short Stuff

The Music Man

• Member Test
  • 1448 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:36

So my first assignment may be Turkey, and I pray I pass my background check so I can....So is anybody from Turkey?

I'd love some tips on customs and courtesies :P and maybe some laws that would be cool to know.

And maybe a few useful phrases? :P
Posted Image

#2 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:07

General is from Turkey but it may take a while before you can get hold of him :P .
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:15

View PostShort Stuff, on 3 Feb 2011, 4:36, said:

So my first assignment may be Turkey, and I pray I pass my background check so I can....So is anybody from Turkey?

I'd love some tips on customs and courtesies :P and maybe some laws that would be cool to know.

And maybe a few useful phrases? 8|

Gabriel Angelos _aka_ General is from Turkey, however and rather ironically he isn't around much as he is doing his National Service :P

I've been there a lot, Istanbul mainly as I have several hundred clients from there. That said, I am not much of an expert on customs because all of the people I deal with are very ..... I hate to say westernised as that implies that Turkey would be radically different from other countries, but you won't find much different in Turkey to any where else in Europe imo. Especially if you're posted any where near Istanbul. I highly doubt Ankara, where you'll most likely end up, will be much different.

It is worth mentioning however, that Turkey is somewhat of a paradox. They are both proudly secular and Islamic at the same time. I would avoid any jokes or punts at that tbh. Oh and do not, whatever you do, poke fun at the pictures of Ataturk on the bank notes or on people's walls.

To round off, I absolutely love Turkey, it's a fantastic country with a rich culture and history, that mixes well with more modern aspects of life you'll probably be familiar with. The food is awesome, the people are genuine, weather is brilliant and I am sure you'll love it. 8|

#4 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 03 February 2011 - 22:03

I have a few Turkish friends. I'll ask and see what they can get me :P
Posted Image

#5 Short Stuff

The Music Man

• Member Test
  • 1448 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 23:16

Well what's Adana like? Ill be just east of there. So...Southern Turkey.
Posted Image

#6 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:10

Looks like a tourist town to me, I don't think you'll have too many issues as long as you respect the local culture.

Posted Image

#7 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:48

Antalya would be largest tourist centre close by. Bodrum and Marmaris are the Turks principle tourist areas outside of Istanbul and Ephesus. It's probably a little more provincial than else where but it just do as Alias suggested and you'll be fine. The Turks are a great people. <87

#8 Short Stuff

The Music Man

• Member Test
  • 1448 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 08:34

Well im here in Turkey now. And the people really are some of the kindest I ever met. In America, you WONT get invited into a home for tea just because you had a 2 min conversation. I really do like it here. It's a shame I dont get much time to travel though. Hopefully I can go to Maiden Castle soon.

Ill be going to Italy after my tour here, and ill be there for awhile, So I plan to see a lot of Europe when I get there
Posted Image

#9 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 08:46

Oh you're in Turkey? Maybe you'll meet Gabriel Angelos/General somewhere now that he's done with conscription :xD: Have fun, stay safe.

Dangnabit typos

Edited by Destiny, 17 July 2011 - 08:47.

Posted Image

#10 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:16

Looky who's there! :xD:

Yeah, the Turks are really friendly people and hospitable. I also see you look like an army man now 8| .

Italy is completely different. Might take more practice :xD: . beautiful country though.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 14:57

View PostWizard, on 3 Feb 2011, 11:15, said:

Gabriel Angelos _aka_ General is from Turkey, however and rather ironically he isn't around much as he is doing his National Service :xD:

It is over 5 months before :xD:

So whats up, how you find Turkey ? 8|

I can't recommend any place since I only seen Istanbul and a few other places and not have good knowledge on touristic places, but you may visit Istanbul, you will find a lot of touristic places here.
And do not trust anyone and do not fall into their hospitality traps ;)

Edited by General, 17 July 2011 - 15:05.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users