Alienware m11x laptop

7 replies to this topic

#1 WarMenace

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Tester
  • 624 posts
  • Projects: None.

Posted 27 February 2011 - 20:29

I plan to buy this laptop in a few days, but I want to know for sure if it is what it says it is. How does it perform? How well does it play games? and why in the world did it not come with a DVD drive?

I'm planning on basically using this laptop to play Steam games and Starcraft II, on max settings preferably. So I would just like to know if this is a good device to buy for my needs.

Thanks.

P.S. Also, it's on sale for $599 US if anyone wants it too, for a limited time only though. I think it expires in 3 days. US time, better hurry.
"Sup son? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯" - dSeleCT. Team Dignitas.

#2 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 20:42

View PostWarMenace, on 27 Feb 2011, 20:29, said:

I plan to buy this laptop in a few days, but I want to know for sure if it is what it says it is. How does it perform? How well does it play games? and why in the world did it not come with a DVD drive?

I'm planning on basically using this laptop to play Steam games and Starcraft II, on max settings preferably. So I would just like to know if this is a good device to buy for my needs.

Thanks.

P.S. Also, it's on sale for $599 US if anyone wants it too, for a limited time only though. I think it expires in 3 days. US time, better hurry.

It's a powerful piece of kit. However, it's an 11inch gaming... netbook?! I swear to god my eyes would bleed out trying to play games on it. Apparently it's pretty good, although I still wouldn't expect max settings out of it (I believe it can run Crysis on Medium, so most games can probably achieve high). Lack of a DVD drive will be so they can cram everything into that tiny little case. If you're looking at Steam games it shouldn't matter much?

Overall it's a pretty good netbook. Problems will arise in the limited capabilities of the CPU (i5 1.1GhZ is not great) and the 2GB of RAM. If you can customise it, upgrade those two, and you should have a decent computer for gaming. That all said, if you just want it for gaming and don't care about the portability, buy a desktop PC :P
For there can be no death without life.

#3 Kaido

The one who screams.

• Member Test
  • 898 posts
  • Projects: Nothin'

Posted 27 February 2011 - 21:03

Suggestion, Never buy Alienware stuff. Cause they are overpriced and they break down pretty fast.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 WarMenace

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Tester
  • 624 posts
  • Projects: None.

Posted 27 February 2011 - 21:04

View PostAJ, on 27 Feb 2011, 14:42, said:

View PostWarMenace, on 27 Feb 2011, 20:29, said:

Thanks.

It's a powerful piece of kit. However, it's an 11inch gaming... netbook?! I swear to god my eyes would bleed out trying to play games on it. Apparently it's pretty good, although I still wouldn't expect max settings out of it (I believe it can run Crysis on Medium, so most games can probably achieve high). Lack of a DVD drive will be so they can cram everything into that tiny little case. If you're looking at Steam games it shouldn't matter much?

Overall it's a pretty good netbook. Problems will arise in the limited capabilities of the CPU (i5 1.1GhZ is not great) and the 2GB of RAM. If you can customise it, upgrade those two, and you should have a decent computer for gaming. That all said, if you just want it for gaming and don't care about the portability, buy a desktop PC :P

Thanks AJ, though about the CPU, it's overclockable to 1.73 Ghz so I'm too worried about it.
"Sup son? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯" - dSeleCT. Team Dignitas.

#5 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 21:13

I have a netbook (which has low specs) which I have manged to play many hours of Deus Ex 1, Worms Reloaded and Age of Empires 2 on. Just because the screen is small doesn't mean it isn't good for gaming, it's not great though :P

Main computer, Nope. Back up on the go gaming device? Possibly. Alienware is overpriced somewhat, but i doubt you will find a higher spec netbook at a cheaper price (I could be wrong, you might need to do some research).

Personally i wouldn't, i would buy a cheap netbook and play Starcraft 1 instead :D
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#6 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 21:26

View PostTheDR, on 27 Feb 2011, 21:13, said:

I have a netbook (which has low specs) which I have manged to play many hours of Deus Ex 1, Worms Reloaded and Age of Empires 2 on. Just because the screen is small doesn't mean it isn't good for gaming, it's not great though :P

Main computer, Nope. Back up on the go gaming device? Possibly. Alienware is overpriced somewhat, but i doubt you will find a higher spec netbook at a cheaper price (I could be wrong, you might need to do some research).

Personally i wouldn't, i would buy a cheap netbook and play Starcraft 1 instead :D

I have the same netbook as Doc, and I do kind of agree with what he's saying here, to be fair. Admittedly, our netbook is ultra low-spec, but ultraportable, but even when I'm playing the odd game on it (RA2/Rollercoaster Tycoon for me), I do find my eyes get somewhat strained. It's not great for continual play - and neither is an undersized keyboard, now I think about it.

As an on-the-go gaming device, this is good, though. That price is exceptional (in the UK that laptop is £800) for what it is really, and there aren't any other gaming netbooks that I've ever heard of. If you think you can trade the screen size for some exceptionally powerful hardware, I'd say go for it.

(That said SC2 is totally rubbish, but I'm guessing other Steam games will make up for what it lacks).
For there can be no death without life.

#7 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:51

You'd be better off getting a higher end 14/15" laptop.

Edited by Alias, 28 February 2011 - 02:52.

Posted Image

#8 deltaepsilon

Delta Operator

• Member Test
  • 859 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 04:18

View PostAJ, on 28 Feb 2011, 8:26, said:

(That said SC2 is totally rubbish, but I'm guessing other Steam games will make up for what it lacks).

Well that's a bit off topic, though I can't say I really enjoyed it for long myself.
----------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------

The name's Bond.

Covalent Bond.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users