←  General Discussion and Introductions

Fallout Studios Forums

»

YouTube, what the heck happened to you?

Chyros's Photo Chyros 02 Mar 2011

I have a gmail account but I dont' WANT to link it to anything, let the fucking pissheads buzz off D: . Isn't their motto "Dont' be evil" anyway? >.>

TheDR's Photo TheDR 02 Mar 2011

First: Back when Youtube started it didn't make any profit, thus why we have the adds. It is a business after all (I don't think it's making a profit now, but that could of changed since I last heard about it).
Second: It links to your Gmail account to add more security as people were getting hacked a lot or something.

Yeah sure, they might not be the best changes, but youtube isn't evolving just to annoy us, it's evolving because its trying to to stay alive.

I'm not buying their crap. I don't care why they are evolving, they DO annoy.

I think everyone is being over dramatic, it's not asking you to do anything unreasonable. Anyway, can't you just skip it? I'm sure I just skipped it.

I think the point is mainly the speed as which this descent took place. A year ago none of this was in place and now there's shit all over it.

Pandut's Photo Pandut 02 Mar 2011

So apparently I just logged onto youtube in order log in. Fail, much?

View PostChyros, on 2 Mar 2011, 21:52, said:

I think the point is mainly the speed as which this descent took place. A year ago none of this was in place and now there's shit all over it.

Thats because it was loosing money. Youtube had to change in order to make a profit and it had to change quickly. I'm sure Google wouldn't of changed it otherwise, they clearly have lots of experience as they do run Google and that barely changes.

Slightly Wonky Robob's Photo Slightly Wonky Robob 03 Mar 2011

View PostTheDR, on 2 Mar 2011, 21:25, said:

Yeah sure, they might not be the best changes, but youtube isn't evolving just to annoy us, it's evolving because its trying to to stay alive.

I completely agree, I can understand pretty much all of the changes, at least from their point of view. Think of all the bandwidth and memory needed to host the 24 hours of video uploaded every minute. Ads are the obvious answer to this.

Sgt. Nuker's Photo Sgt. Nuker 03 Mar 2011

Kind of a shame that the ads just couldn't be on the main page of Youtube. If they're going to stick it in a video, couldn't they have just attached it to the end?

But who would stick around to watch an advert after they've watched the video they wanted? :/

Dutchygamer's Photo Dutchygamer 03 Mar 2011

View PostTheDR, on 2 Mar 2011, 22:43, said:

I think everyone is being over dramatic, it's not asking you to do anything unreasonable. Anyway, can't you just skip it? I'm sure I just skipped it.

Last time I tried I either had to make a Google Account, or GTFO (to say it in those words) from my own goddamn YT account.

BeefJeRKy's Photo BeefJeRKy 03 Mar 2011

Youtube is owned by Google. It makes sense that their accounts are linked to Google accounts now. Afaik, I just merged my older youtube account with my gmail.

Also there are people who prefer Hotmail to Gmail? :/

I got my hotmail account before gmail existed (or at least before it became well known). At the time, all the cool kids had hotmail accounts... I see very little reason to change, although having said that, if I were to choose a new email account it would be with gmail... I set my Dad up with a gmail account a year or so back.

BeefJeRKy's Photo BeefJeRKy 03 Mar 2011

I just got fed up of the horrible Hotmail interface that MS still can't get right. Google FTW. I've pretty much abandoned MSN. All my communication is through Google Talk, Facebook or IM services like Whatsapp.

The browser based hotmail interface isn't the best, but I use Windows Live Mail, which meets my very limited needs.

CJ's Photo CJ 04 Mar 2011

Personally I find the (new) hotmail interface better than the gmail one, and less bland as well. My MSN account stays my main one, the google one I just use for spam 8|
Edited by CJ, 04 March 2011 - 14:58.

partyzanpaulzy's Photo partyzanpaulzy 04 Mar 2011

no... I don't want another e-mail, 4 e-mail accounts are enough. If I get in the Google as employee I will get myself one, otherwise... 8|
(in the moment I'm aiming for Red Hat or Freescale)

SquigPie's Photo SquigPie 04 Mar 2011

And I'm pretty sure that hotmail doesn't do all this shit!
Edited by SquigPie, 04 March 2011 - 16:48.

BeefJeRKy's Photo BeefJeRKy 04 Mar 2011

being ocd about my mail, i constantly archive everything so that i can see what's left /important. Hotmail only lets me delete.

Also, labels and filters are saviors...

Slightly Wonky Robob's Photo Slightly Wonky Robob 04 Mar 2011

vat...

You can archive emails and set up filters in hotmail...

BeefJeRKy's Photo BeefJeRKy 04 Mar 2011

well afaik, these must be really new features. it was an epiphany when i discovered gmail in 2004. still don't look back myself.

also, there still aren't labels 8|

Slightly Wonky Robob's Photo Slightly Wonky Robob 04 Mar 2011

View PostScope, on 4 Mar 2011, 21:54, said:

well afaik, these must be really new features. it was an epiphany when i discovered gmail in 2004. still don't look back myself.

also, there still aren't labels 8|

True, there aren't labels, but the search feature works perfectly well for what I need.

And those features aren't that new considering I still have a folder & filter set up for cncreneclips. 8|

Destiny's Photo Destiny 05 Mar 2011

But we've been Fallout Studios for so long D: