Lights and glow FX

2 replies to this topic

#1 Madin

Amateur

• 138 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 13:10

So I have a nice RA2 style power plant and I wanted to do some glow FX and some flashing lights, kind of like the GDI Refinery. So I have a look at the Refineries glow FX and good lord!

Right, so I'm guessing that they are getting the different colours from using 'Vertex painting' (great, so I'll have to learn that). What I don't understand is how they are controlling what flashes and what doesn't and also how they are controlling the sequences of the flashing lights.

I'm guessing that the 'FXMuzzle' texture is controlling the light and the 'FX2ndPass' texture has something to do with the flashing lights. I see that there is some scrolling involved, but it is all to complicated for me.

Any sage modders used 'Vertex painting before?
Anyone done any FX in a similar style to the GDI Refinery?
Anyone done any flashing lights?

Any help would be appreciated. I feel that perhaps those experienced in the BFME or LOTR sage games may also have answers.

#2 Stygs

Casual

• 53 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 14:16

Well, its hard to explain, but if it helps you, I can give you my TWA orca model, he uses the blinking lights as position lights.

But basicly, the first texture (FXMuzzle) is used for the "look" of the light. The second one is scrolling and used to create the blinking effects (depending on the colors, the first texture is visble or not).
Vertext colors are quite easy, it just gives every vertex a value that changes the color of the texture around it.

Edited by Stygs, 01 April 2011 - 16:15.

Posted Image

Outdated signature is outdated...

#3 Madin

Amateur

• 138 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 15:04

Stygs, on 1 Apr 2011, 15:16, said:

Well, its hard to explain, but if it helps you, I can give you my TWA orca model, he uses the blinking lights as position lights.

Yes please! that would help greatly!
My email is adincharles@hotmail.com (unless you plan on posting it here).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users