Looking for a cheap laptop.

8 replies to this topic

#1 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:31

And by cheap, I mean cheap, if you know me, you know I dislike laptops, however sadly I'm basically going to need one for my dissertation. The laptop doesn't even have to be able to play games, I just want something I can do some work on and browse the internet with / watch videos. The type of laptop that usually does that is called a netbook right? However looking at those prices and the specs, they give you stuff you don't need. So can anyone recommend something good? I remember Asus used to do something called an EeePC or something?
Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 20 May 2011 - 13:09

Okay, so apart from that one netbook I told you about on steam, I found pretty much nothing cheaper, except for refurbished crap which is listed as malfunctioning half the time anyway...

I also found 2 models which have pretty much the same specs :

Asus EEE 1001PXD : http://www.laptopshop.co.uk/asus-1001pxd_b....htm#tabcontent
Samsung N145 : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-10-1-inch-...6121&sr=1-1

But the cheapest one for what it is is still the eME350 : http://www.amazon.co.uk/eMachines-Netbook-..._pr_product_top

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#3 Raven

Ready to rumble

• Member Test
  • 854 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 18:43

I don't know about the eME350, but some of my friends use the samsung model. It is good and the size is very handy. But the screen is too small for my liking since we had trouble reading office documents off it. Apart from that it's fine and its ideal for net browsing. I do not know about the movie performance, but I have heard that netbooks have trouble playing movies.

#4 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 19:21

Well, I have an eeePC 1005HA (I believe that's the model number). Should set you back about £250 last I saw, and tbh its survived me through two year of law. Considering I do most of my work on it, and I imagine I'll be doing my dissertation on it next year, I would thoroughly suggest it for work, and browsing the interwebs. It's also got an 11hr battery (which I find usually comes down to about 6/7 with intensive use), whcih makes it great for a day's work withou the need to lug the charger along. It's not made for games at all, though.
For there can be no death without life.

#5 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 20 May 2011 - 20:23

I think I should warn you guys since Ion didn't say it on this topic : He's not willing to pay more than 200£ for the laptop, that's why I didn't recommend other EeePCs :xD:

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#6 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 01:20

That's handy :xD:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ASUS-EeePc-1005HA-10...295e6e5fd25023e

Admittedly, it's white, but it's good value :xD:

At a lower price, then, I'd agree with CJ's choice of the emachines one, and the Asus 1001.
For there can be no death without life.

#7 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 01:26

Hmm, do I really want Win7 starter? I've never even heard of that before..
Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 13:32

View PostAJ, on 20 May 2011, 20:21, said:

Well, I have an eeePC 1005HA (I believe that's the model number). Should set you back about £250 last I saw, and tbh its survived me through two year of law. Considering I do most of my work on it, and I imagine I'll be doing my dissertation on it next year, I would thoroughly suggest it for work, and browsing the interwebs. It's also got an 11hr battery (which I find usually comes down to about 6/7 with intensive use), whcih makes it great for a day's work withou the need to lug the charger along. It's not made for games at all, though.

You can play games on it. Deus Ex works great, so does Age of Empires 2 and Diablo 2 :xD:

It is also good if you ever want to travel, put some movies on it and you can watch them on the plane (I played Deus Ex on the plane, it was a bit cramped :xD:).
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#9 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 00:18

Thanks for the input guys, begrudgingly spent the money on the eMachines laptop, but needs must.
Posted Image

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users