Off to Scotland - Again!

7 replies to this topic

#1 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 12 June 2011 - 00:05

Yes thats right, I'm off up north again, though for slightly longer this time, 6 weeks in fact and I'm not there entirely for pleasure either. I'm primarily there for my undergraduate mapping project, which is essentially my dissertation. The area I'm going to is known as the Isle of Skye and it has some of the most magnificient scenery in UK. While I'm there hopefully I'll get to experience some of it, I'll also be taking my camera so expect alot of pictures. I'll still be around as well, thanks to my new notebook.

It has also just struck me how long I've spent in Scotland over the past year, or at least will have. I'm going up there again for a holiday a month after my mapping project which takes the amount of weeks I've spent in Scotland to 13 in 1 year, thats a quarter of the entire year!

The main body of mountains are known as the Black Cuillin and consist of dark volcanic gabbro, they're a mecca for walkers and climbers alike. There is also the Red Cuillin which are smaller in stature and not as difficult, but they are wonderful mountains and the views are spectacular. The jagged coast is also quite a sight.

Anyway, heres an idea of the scenery up there.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 12 June 2011 - 00:07.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 00:40

Ah yes, we wanted to visit Skye when we were in Scotland a few years ago, but the weather was so bad that we didn't. Looks fantastic though. Whisky? :D
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 Dutchygamer

Shyborg Commander

• Member Test
  • 1899 posts
  • Projects: Frontline Chaos creator and leader, Invasion Confirmed co-leader

Posted 12 June 2011 - 16:29

View PostChyros, on 12 Jun 2011, 1:40, said:

Ah yes, we wanted to visit Skye when we were in Scotland a few years ago, but the weather was so bad that we didn't. Looks fantastic though. Whisky? |8

Whisky is Irish mate :P A bottle of scrumpy would fit better :P
Anyways, good luck with your project, and hope you make some good pictures :)
Posted Image

#4 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 16:37

View PostDutchygamer, on 13 Jun 2011, 2:29, said:

Ah yes, we wanted to visit Skye when we were in Scotland a few years ago, but the weather was so bad that we didn't. Looks fantastic though. Whisky? :)

You're the one who has it wrong.

Whisky is Scottish, Whiskey is Irish and Scrumpy is from where AJ/Dr are from.

Posted Image

#5 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 17:36

View PostDutchygamer, on 12 Jun 2011, 18:29, said:

Ah yes, we wanted to visit Skye when we were in Scotland a few years ago, but the weather was so bad that we didn't. Looks fantastic though. Whisky? |8

Whisky is to Scotland what Guinness is to Ireland. Having been in both, I can assure you whisky is VERY Scottish :) .
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 Dutchygamer

Shyborg Commander

• Member Test
  • 1899 posts
  • Projects: Frontline Chaos creator and leader, Invasion Confirmed co-leader

Posted 12 June 2011 - 18:28

View PostChyros, on 12 Jun 2011, 18:36, said:

View PostDutchygamer, on 12 Jun 2011, 18:29, said:

Ah yes, we wanted to visit Skye when we were in Scotland a few years ago, but the weather was so bad that we didn't. Looks fantastic though. Whisky? 8|

Whisky is to Scotland what Guinness is to Ireland. Having been in both, I can assure you whisky is VERY Scottish :) .

Ah well, I should stay away from subjects I don't understand at all |8
Posted Image

#7 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 18:43

Have fun, looking forward to seeing some interesting pictures.

That last picture looks oddly computer generated for some reason.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#8 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 29 November 2011 - 19:30

I meant to upload these ages ago, but forgot. So I'll do it now, enjoy :)

This is looking over a large part of my mapping area, towards the Cuillin Hills. The largest mountain in this photo is Blaven, or Bla Bheinn, which I did climb and you'll get some nice pictures of it further below.
Posted Image

Looking across to the Isle of Rum, awesome cloud formations, I could actually watch them reach down from the sky.
Posted Image

My dad came up for a weekend as he is also a keen hill walker. We did the 5 Sisters of Kintail ridge walk, weather wasn't the best, cloud went up and down, but spectacular scenery all the same.

Posted Image

This was the sight that greeted us as we came out of the clouds from the top (1067M) the clouds parted and BAM. You lose the scale of it all in the photo, but still nice nonetheless.

Posted Image

In one of the saddles between the 5 tops.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Near the start of the walk, heading up the initial slope - which takes you from 100M to 800M very very steeply.

Posted Image

Taken from inside my mapping area, looking across to the Cuillin Hills. I would often hate mapping by the end of the day, then simply look across, see this, and be happy again.

Posted Image

On an overcast day, the sun tries to penetrate the scottish cloud.

Posted Image

Oh dear, is that heading my way? I suppose it looks quite atmospheric at least.

Posted Image

Its a very dark shot, but I love the moody atmosphere to it.

Posted Image

Taken from the top of Blaven (928M), no idea what this bird was, but it was huge. The next few shots show more of the scenery around the top. I got a day of perfect walking weather.

Posted Image

From the top, looking south. Those whitish hills on the furthest penninsula is where I took most of my photos from above - from. It also forms the white band of hills taken in my first picture. They're actually over 300M high, but hey " they look so small from up here "
Posted Image

Posted Image

Looking north from the top.

Posted Image

The range of hills in this picture are known as the Red Cullin, or Red Hills. They're not nearly as rocky / scary / scrambly as the Black Cuillin, or as high.

Posted Image

I'm much lower down on this picture, as you can see the Red Cuillin are actually higher at this point.

Posted Image

Taken from even further down, yes the pictures are backwards ^.

Posted Image

A nice boulder filled gorge.

Posted Image

Looking towards the top of Blaven, from near the bottom.

Posted Image

And a nice waterfall I found near the path on the way up.

Posted Image

This is just a small waterfall I found in my mapping area.

Posted Image

It's a crap picture, but just look at that night sky - and this is completely unedited.

Posted Image

Looking to some of the Red Hills from Torrin (the place I was based)

Posted Image

And this picture was taken on the day I arrived, nice huh :)

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users