Stronghold 3

21 replies to this topic

#1 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:13

RPS Preview.

It all looks pretty good. They are taking out some of the silly micro parts and adding cool stuff like procedurally-generated destruction. When a catapult attacks actual chunks of the wall will fly off.

What do you lot think?
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#2 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:31

I think the most important thing tbh is not having one million billion types of resources, professions and way too many building types like they had in Stronghold 2, that really fucked it up. I liked Stronghold 1's good, no-nonsense game mechanics.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:32

Thats exactly what they said they were removing :D
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#4 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 13:40

Sacks of diseased badgers. Seems the plague catapult is back with a vengeance :D .

I like that they kept the separate campaigns of war and economy, btw. I liked that in the original title as well.

To be honest, the graphics in terms of the looks of the castles looks very alive, medieval and beautiful. The animations on the soldiers and the catapults look rather 20th century but whatever.

And yeah, the fact that they're apparently trying to not overcomplicate it pleases me greatly. Looking forward to this so far 8| .

Btw, that wall destruction thingy sounds like something extremely difficult to pull off without becoming a chore to the actual gameplay, but I suppose it would definitely look awesome.

Edited by Chyros, 26 July 2011 - 13:41.

TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 26 July 2011 - 13:50

I loved the first stronghold games, the economy campaign brought back fond memories of the impressions city building series (Caesar III, Pharoah, Zeus Master of Olympus) I didn't play the 2nd, it sort of passed me by but by the sounds of it, it was a departure from the original, if they're going back to a game more like the first stronghold I am definately interested.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 14:45

View PostIon Cannon!, on 26 Jul 2011, 15:50, said:

I didn't play the 2nd, it sort of passed me by but by the sounds of it, it was a departure from the original,
You didn't miss a damn thin, it was awful :D .
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 Slye_Fox

FOXTec Leader

• Project Leader
  • 2351 posts
  • Projects: CnC: Condition Red, Sigma Invasion, Armoured Sky: Ethereal Dawn

Posted 26 July 2011 - 15:29

I preferred the second to the first.
Posted Image

#8 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 15:32

I am not entirely sure how the previous two games passed me by tbh. But from the looks of this I shall be interested in the third. Badger throwing never gets old. :D

Edited by Wizard, 26 July 2011 - 15:33.

#9 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 16:03

View PostChyros, on 27 Jul 2011, 0:45, said:

I didn't play the 2nd, it sort of passed me by but by the sounds of it, it was a departure from the original,
Agreed. Personally, Crusader was the best in the series purely because it was Stronghold+. Perfect formula.

Posted Image

#10 Admiral FCS

?????

• Member Test
  • 1526 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 18:24

View PostAlias, on 26 Jul 2011, 9:03, said:

View PostChyros, on 27 Jul 2011, 0:45, said:

Agreed. Personally, Crusader was the best in the series purely because it was Stronghold+. Perfect formula.

Indeed. I played Crusader for a short amount of time but loved it.

It seems to me that good RTS is becoming scarce by the day. >.>

#11 Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 6796 posts
  • Projects: Sigma Invasion

Posted 26 July 2011 - 18:42

I played Crusader a few times, but it was on a school PC and it lagged like crazy in the menu for some reason and took a long ass time to load a game and yet the game it self played excellent.

Edited by Soul, 26 July 2011 - 18:43.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Insomniac!, on 16 Sep 2008, 20:12, said:

Soul you scare the hell out of me, more so than Lizzie.

I've been given a Bob coin from Mr. Bob, a life time supply of cookies from Blonde-Unknown, some Internet Chocolate from the Full Throttle mod team, and some Assorted Weapons from Høbbesy.

#12 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 23:12

By the way, one thing I thought of that would be great is a customiseable flag like in Stronghold 2. I have some pretty great ones, mostly nicked from an internet site on A Song of Ice and Fire (what the Game of Thrones series is about).
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#13 Kaido

The one who screams.

• Member Test
  • 898 posts
  • Projects: Nothin'

Posted 02 September 2011 - 17:41

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:23

Looks like the verdict is in that this is even more of a failure than Stronghold 2. Why are you so bad at games now, Firefly?

I think I'll be sticking with Crusader.

Posted Image

#15 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:31

Yeah, the few gameplay videos out there also show that this is no less than a fiasco... Shame, I was really looking forward to a new STR game...

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#16 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 15:23

I was also looking forward to the game (having made the thread :)). Firefly just can't seem to make fully 3D games :(
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#17 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 16:00

They just can't seem to leave the game alone. They didn't even have to get the 3D fully right, all they needed to do was not fuck up the game mechanics, and they've failed at that twice :) .
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#18 Slye_Fox

FOXTec Leader

• Project Leader
  • 2351 posts
  • Projects: CnC: Condition Red, Sigma Invasion, Armoured Sky: Ethereal Dawn

Posted 01 November 2011 - 18:05

It's an okay game, but there's this feel of unfinishedness, eg; water not on mini-map, the wall system leaving behind tiny fragments when deleted.

Also; why do most people say SH2 was a failure, I find it to be a very enjoyable game.
Posted Image

#19 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 18:08

View Post~ V ~, on 01 November 2011 - 18:05, said:

Also; why do most people say SH2 was a failure, I find it to be a very enjoyable game.
It overcomplicated the formula.

It was great in Stronghold, perfected in Crusader and butchered in Stronghold 2 and Legends.

Posted Image

#20 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 01 November 2011 - 18:25

View Post~ V ~, on 01 November 2011 - 18:05, said:

It's an okay game, but there's this feel of unfinishedness, eg; water not on mini-map, the wall system leaving behind tiny fragments when deleted.

And the absence of a skirmish mode :|

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#21 Gen.Kenobi

Set sails!

• Project Leader
  • 1170 posts
  • Projects: New!

Posted 01 November 2011 - 19:31

The castle's textures looks terrible in the trailer... Is Firefly sure that it's SH3??? :)

And yeah, SH2 was really enjoyable, it just required lots of micromanaging what sometimes were pretty annoying.

Edited by Gen.Kenobi, 01 November 2011 - 19:31.

"The entire ocean. The entire world. Wherever we want to go, we'll go. That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what Tidal Wars really is... is freedom."
Posted Image

kudos to Pasidon for this awesome avvy and siggy!

#22 Z_mann

Professional

• 327 posts
  • Projects: Zero Hour Unleashed

Posted 01 November 2011 - 23:35

Why is there no skirmish mode? WHY?

There are historic sieges, but no vs computer play save for the campaign.

Also, a lot of bugs. And people eat too much food imo... Seriously, you could upkeep at least 4 people with a farm, now its like two. That means you need a million farms...

Still reserving judgment until I get to play it, and until the first patch.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Science is magic, only complicated.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users