Diablo 3, Press Event

13 replies to this topic

#1 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 01 August 2011 - 13:14

There is a huge amount of information here and some very nice interviews with some of the developers, theres also a few snazzy videos.

The best thing though, they're not focusing at all even slightly on PVP, in fact they're showing the big finger to e-sports, this is a wonderful wonderful thing.

full info here, will take a while to read :rotfl:

http://www.diablofan...ss-event-visit/
Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 13:49

Kotaku informed me of the worst news. You have to be online to play, even if you want to play single player. There will be no mods as mods are prohibited. Weapons/Items can be sold online in their special auction house thing for REAL money.

The good news is that the Beta is coming out soon, I hope I get in!
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#3 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 14:00

Mods prohibited? I don't like that...

On the auction house front this is actually a good move by blizzard. D2 was plagued with third party sites selly dodgy/duped/faked items at massively overinflated prices. This should put a stop to that, the amount of people who seem to be butthurt over this is suprising. If blizzard hadn't implemented their AH, the item selling would still have occurred. What most seem annoyed at is a player who spends £100 and has played for 1 week can have better gear than one who has played for 6months. The exact same thing happened in D2 and it would have happened in D3 either way.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 14:13

No, its not the action house thats the problem, its the fact that the action house has caused the other two problems. The game has to be online at all times because people might cheat and ruin the in game economy. Mods aren't allowed because people might use them to cheat to ruin the in game economy ect ect...

View PostIon Cannon!, on 01 August 2011 - 14:00, said:

blizzard hadn't implemented their AH, the item selling would still have occurred. What most seem annoyed at is a player who spends £100 and has played for 1 week can have better gear than one who has played for 6months. The exact same thing happened in D2 and it would have happened in D3 either way.

Thats not going to stop just because its official, it might even happen even more. There will still be people buying the best stuff for £100, the only difference being that its going through official channels and Blizzard is taking a cut of not only sales but also anyone who wants to put up a listing.

Edited by TheDR, 01 August 2011 - 14:14.

Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#5 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 14:28

Why on earth would it happen more? The only reason it occurred in the first place was because there was no official way to do it, hence going through the third party sites. It will happen yes, now through official channels, which is better, safer and should stop the massive proliferation of bots which happened in D2.

I also don't buy that modding/online connection is needed because of the AH. No, I think it's just Activision being the complete wankfest of a company they are. They just don't seem to get it, modding is good - for everyone. Valve seem to understand that better than almost anyone.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 17:53

Wow, some nice action vids there :rotfl: .

I don't mind the whole auction house thing, certain people want it after all, but I dislike having to be online all the time. Sounds like an excuse for DRM to me.

As for mods, I don't care a lot, since I never played any in D2 either. Though of course it would never hurt to have it on.

I like the decreased emphasis on PvP btw, definitely.

Nice find, lads :rotfl: .
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 15:41

Release date announced, 15th May, but the price is your typical activision bullshit. £44.99 or 59.99 euros.

The thing is, I am boycotting Activision games, but I want this so badly..
Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 16:08

Fuck that shit, I'm buying. I don't care who or what sells it.

Probably going to do the pounds-euros trick though. Saves a heck of a lot of money for continentals.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 16:14

Well this is a bit more like it - http://www.amazon.co...D/dp/B0030DH9R6

I didn't think I would care either, but I actually do. They've raised the price because they know so many people will buy it regardless, I know Activision is a company and their purpose is to make profit, but I doubt if Blizzard was still just Blizzard it would cost so much.

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 15 March 2012 - 16:16.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 15 March 2012 - 16:24

View PostChyros, on 15 March 2012 - 16:08, said:

You've bought all 3 MW games and Black Ops, I don't think anyone here would even doubt that you wouldn't care if Activision is the one selling the game...

Personally, I'll pass, just like I passed for Starcraft 2.

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#11 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 17:44

View PostCJ, on 15 March 2012 - 16:24, said:

You've bought all 3 MW games and Black Ops, I don't think anyone here would even doubt that you wouldn't care if Activision is the one selling the game...
Indeed, I don't do cruesli eater hippyism :P .
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 17:50

View PostIon Cannon!, on 15 March 2012 - 16:14, said:

Well this is a bit more like it - http://www.amazon.co...D/dp/B0030DH9R6

I didn't think I would care either, but I actually do. They've raised the price because they know so many people will buy it regardless, I know Activision is a company and their purpose is to make profit, but I doubt if Blizzard was still just Blizzard it would cost so much.

Yeah, extortionate pricing is extortionate. Still, tempting. Would be a nice 'end-of-exam' treat... time to start saving I guess... :D
For there can be no death without life.

#13 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 17:58

View PostCJ, on 15 March 2012 - 16:24, said:

Personally, I'll pass, just like I passed for Starcraft 2.
That's a bit sad, as it's pretty much the only good RTS of the last 2 years.

For me, Blizzard games are part of the elite few where I don't need to pirate it before buying, as I know that my money will be worth it.

In terms of Australian pricing, it's the same as it's ever been, even when Blizzard was Blizzard. Lovely $90 (72 euro, 60 pounds) for a new game, but I'll just probably either get it from the UK or from Singapore/HK if it's region locked like Starcraft 2.

The amount of hours I've sunk into Diablo 2 are uncountable, personally, I can't wait.

Posted Image

#14 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 18:01

I already bought it from Amazon, saved myself £12. I should have pre-ordered a year or so back when it was £23 - Come to think of it, I actually might have done that - better check my emails.

EDIT: Yeah I did, haha awesome :)

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 15 March 2012 - 18:04.

Posted Image

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users