14 replies to this topic

#1 pirate

The friendly scourge of the seven seas

• Project Leader
  • 1256 posts
  • Projects: GenerationX, Forgotten Fury, European Conflict and more

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:20

http://www.escapistm...suit-Deathmatch

Ok Bethesda, makers of the Elder scrolls series and the upcoming entry, Skyrim (DUHH:P) got angry at Notch the person behind Moyang, the creator of Minecraft for announcing a new game with the title: Scrolls... so they sent him a letter telling how angry they were (Team America reference :P) and are trying to law-suit Moyang to change the name.
Notch retaliated... not with lawyers... but by challenging Bethesda for a game of Quake3 tournament and let the outcome of the battle determine the actions of Moyang....(he is serious btw)

How is this not fricking brilliant XD?
Proud leader of Forgotten Fury and co-leader of European Conflict

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:32

Huge PR failure if Bethesda bottle it, but huge PR failure for thinking "Scrolls" is trademarked. *facepalms*

#3 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:36

Brilliant way of handling it.
Posted Image

#4 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:19

There is a very simple reason for them doing this. (I'm no legal expert, but I think this is how it works)

If they don't sue him, they won't be able to protect their trademark/copyright in the future. This is why you always have to be ultradefensive when it comes to this sort of stuff. If you don't act like a rabid honey badger you'll lose everything.

Also, this isn't bethesda suing, it's their lawyers.

And Notch is just a lazy bastard anyway. I don't care about him.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#5 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:45

Bethesda are probably doing this stupid lawsuit since they lost an assload on Brink. I would expect something this asinine from Activsion.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 18 August 2011 - 13:59

I heard they're going to sue Lord of the Rings next, for using "The" from The Elder Scrolls in their name.

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#7 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 14:38

View PostPav:3d, on 18 August 2011 - 12:45, said:

Bethesda are probably doing this stupid lawsuit since they lost an assload on Brink. I would expect something this asinine from Activsion.
And today Mr Pav3d realised all major game publishers are arses.

Including but not exclusively:
EA
Activision
Bethesda
THQ
Ubisoft

On the slightly-less-of-an-arse tier sits:
Valve

Posted Image

#8 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 15:37

View PostSquigPie, on 18 August 2011 - 11:19, said:

There is a very simple reason for them doing this. (I'm no legal expert, but I think this is how it works)

If they don't sue him, they won't be able to protect their trademark/copyright in the future. This is why you always have to be ultradefensive when it comes to this sort of stuff. If you don't act like a rabid honey badger you'll lose everything.

How do you equate utilising one word of the english language that shares a commonality with another product as infringing copyright? Is J K Rowling suing the arse off Daniel Barber and Gary Young because Michael Caine's film shared a first name with the Harry Potter franchise?

#9 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 19:30

View PostWizard, on 18 August 2011 - 15:37, said:

How do you equate utilising one word of the english language that shares a commonality with another product as infringing copyright? Is J K Rowling suing the arse off Daniel Barber and Gary Young because Michael Caine's film shared a first name with the Harry Potter franchise?

As said, they can't take any risks. If they don't do this then they might end up not being able to protect their right when someone decides to name their game "Scrolls of the Elder: Skyblivion". Legal business. I have no idea how it works. But my guess is that the top-trained (hopefully) lawyers at Bethesda have a reason for doing this.

Or perhaps they just did it because they wanted to je...grap as many money as possible.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#10 R3ven

Veteran

• Project Team
  • 468 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 19:54

They wouldn't have to defend their trademark in the future if they hadn't gone to sue Mojang AB over one word in the first place. Bethesda is just hurting itself with this honestly. It's like suing someone over having the same first name as you. Just because my name is Christopher doesn't mean I'm the only one in the existence of mankind to ever be allowed to have that name.

#11 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 18 August 2011 - 20:13

View PostAlias, on 18 August 2011 - 14:38, said:

EA
Activision
Bethesda
THQ
Ubisoft

Valve

oh im under no illusions here, vavle is hardly the moral king of the industry either

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 23:23

View PostPav:3d, on 18 August 2011 - 20:13, said:

View PostAlias, on 18 August 2011 - 14:38, said:

EA
Activision
Bethesda
THQ
Ubisoft

Valve

oh im under no illusions here, vavle is hardly the moral king of the industry either
Which is why they're in the less-of-an-arse tier.

Posted Image

#13 Raven

Ready to rumble

• Member Test
  • 854 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 02:50

View PostSquigPie, on 18 August 2011 - 19:30, said:

View PostWizard, on 18 August 2011 - 15:37, said:

As said, they can't take any risks. If they don't do this then they might end up not being able to protect their right when someone decides to name their game "Scrolls of the Elder: Skyblivion". Legal business. I have no idea how it works. But my guess is that the top-trained (hopefully) lawyers at Bethesda have a reason for doing this.

Or perhaps they just did it because they wanted to je...grap as many money as possible.

Only you can come up with a name like that D8. I think this is an awesome way to ridicule the corporate Giant. Since most ppl interested in this are gamers, Notch would find support among the community. Just check the comments on the original source. That is exactly what Notch was planning I think.

#14 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:49

It is a bit of a suicidal proposition he made there, since Bethesda owns id, I'm pretty sure they'd have a bunch of pro Quake players working for them D8

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#15 pirate

The friendly scourge of the seven seas

• Project Leader
  • 1256 posts
  • Projects: GenerationX, Forgotten Fury, European Conflict and more

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:51

Even, so I think the statement is more important than keeping the name of the game D8, lets hope Bethesda accepts :)

Also I think Notch picked quake because id is now owned by Bethesda, to give them an advantage 8|
Proud leader of Forgotten Fury and co-leader of European Conflict

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users