An Apple Has Fallen

34 replies to this topic

#26 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 13:47

CJ, just because Steve Jobs didn't die for what was deemed as a noble cause, and he didn't directly donate to charity does NOT mean he was worth less than anyone else. Through his vision alone he grew the company into a worldwide giant. It provides jobs for about 50,000 employees, and indirectly provides employment for hundreds of thousands of others (at companies such as Foxconn/etc). So yeah, he may have made a profit as a result, but think of what he's given back outside of obvious philanthropy. He's simply created a better world.

Also, RaiDK, embed videos using the
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rwsuXHA7RA[/media]
tags, and then throw the youtube URL into the middle

Edited by AJ, 06 October 2011 - 13:49.

For there can be no death without life.

#27 ΓΛPTΘΓ

Ecchi Toaster

• Project Team
  • 923 posts
  • Projects: Spam

Posted 06 October 2011 - 14:11

I cannot say if he have made the world better or not, but it is true that his leadership and vision have changed the world of computing and personal electronics. Apple products might be "overpriced", but they are damn successful. Does a Rolex, a BMW or a set of B&O speakers truly reflect their quailty being that much more expensive? There are a lot more things to whine about being "overpriced".

Either way it is very disrespectful to mock someone's death, be it you like him or not.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Awesome radio

19:44 - Chyros: I'm very harmless

#28 Dutchygamer

Shyborg Commander

• Member Test
  • 1899 posts
  • Projects: Frontline Chaos creator and leader, Invasion Confirmed co-leader

Posted 06 October 2011 - 16:35

I already wondered why this thread had so many posts. I expected some better reactions from some of you lot.
Anyways, not really a fan of Apple or their stuff, but still a great loss. May he RIP.
Posted Image

#29 Camille

girl eater

• Project Team
  • 2351 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 17:44

you know what truly infuriates me? barely a week ago, Ralph Steinman died of cancer. Ralph Steinman died three days before receiving the nobel prize for medicine concerning his research to the very cancer that eventually killed him. this man' research will probably save more lives in a year than steve jobs and his company has in his entire life. imagine what mr steinman could have achieved in a few more years. and what do you know? i read this in some backwater newspaper. the article was very small and didn't even have a picture.

then this -let's be dead blunt here- unimportant guy dies and BOOM. frontpaper news. one thousand internet articles. rabid teenagers and apple-flock screaming everywhere. GOD HAS DIED... yeah. the man was making gadgets that did nothing to help anyone. shiny consumerist garbage. and people rever him as a brilliant visionary. right.

that, to me, is the really sad part.

my respect goes out to him as a human being but his actions and company get no respect from me.
it's time to wake up

#30 Areze

Gnurf Gnurf Gnurf

• Project Team
  • 2143 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 20:35

I never particularly like dapple, mostly because of it's baffling design decisions and dictatorial control of their products, but I can respect Jobs for what he has accomplished in the past thirty years technologically.

It makes me wonder what will become of Apple after this. From all appearances, he all but controlled Apple as a one-man operation, and whenever he left, Apple was thrown in chaos. With him now gone, methinks Apple's future is going to be at least a little turbulent.
Writing Thread

#31 Raven

Ready to rumble

• Member Test
  • 854 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 02:50

I don't think so. Not at least in the next few years. Like COD it would run on its past success because Apple is a very strong brand. Most people are ready to forgive any shortcomings in Apple products just because they can boast that " I have an Apple". That effect would be there for sometime IMO.

Camille, I agree with you completely.

#32 Anubis

Lord of the Underworld

• Project Leader
  • 1259 posts
  • Projects: MGS projects.

Posted 07 October 2011 - 13:28

It amazes me how much hipocrisy people can sometimes show. No offence to anyone, but this is simply the feeling i get from reading all this posts. Im not an apple fun, never was, never will be, but i will say this. Since you people have so much fkin respect for dead people ( a human being just died right ) why is it that no one cares about Hittler or Stalin. What ever they did in their life ( again quoting the posts in here ), at the end of it they were still human beings. Pay some respect to them to. It amazes me how much we pay respect to all the corporatist assholes that basicly create nothing but destroy ALOT, just cause its the ”human” thing to do. As for mr Jobs ... w/e. A single doctor does in a year alot more for mankind than jobs did in his entire lifetime, yet i dont see anyone paying respect for that doctor.

Edited by Anubis, 07 October 2011 - 13:31.

#33 Kris

<Custom title available>

• Project Team
  • 3825 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 13:29

-del-

Edited by Kris, 26 February 2017 - 14:44.

#34 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 14:47

View PostSgt. Nuker, on 06 October 2011 - 13:23, said:

I've read too many negative comments, and now a joke about Jobs in this thread. You gents are smart enough to know this isn't the place to squabble or make wise-cracks. Take those elements to their respective places on this forum and leave them out of here.

You folks heard the man. You want to debate the morality of remembering X, Y, Z person based on what they've previously done, that is why there is the Philosopher's Corner, and you're more than welcome to create that thread there. This is simply a place to pay your respects. Anyone else wants to debate Jobs as a force for good/bad/evil and compare him to anything/anyone else then feel free to do so elsewhere; next person to do so here gets the thread locked.
For there can be no death without life.

#35 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 15:51

See you around Steve, hope you found what you where looking for.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users