Are you addicted to the internet?

IAD Addiction Internet

14 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you have IAD? (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you feel preoccupied with the internet?

1. Yes (10 votes [62.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

2. No (6 votes [37.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

Do you feel the need to use the internet with increasing amounts of time in order to achieve satisfaction?

1. Yes (3 votes [18.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

2. No (13 votes [81.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 81.25%

Have you repeatedly made unsuccessful efforts to control, cut back or stop internet use?

1. Yes (7 votes [43.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 43.75%

2. No (9 votes [56.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 56.25%

Do you feel restless, moody, depressed, or irritable when attempting to cut down or stop internet use?

1. Yes (4 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. No (12 votes [75.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

Do you stay online longer than intended?

1. Yes (14 votes [87.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 87.50%

2. No (2 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

Have you jeopardized or risked the loss of a significant relationship, job, educational or career opportunity because of the internet?

1. Yes (4 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. No (12 votes [75.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

Have you lied to family members, a therapist or others to conceal the extent of involvement with the internet?

1. Yes (3 votes [18.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

2. No (13 votes [81.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 81.25%

Do you use the internet as a way of escaping from problems or of relieving a distressed mood (eg feelings of helplessness, guilt, anxiety and depression)?

1. Yes (9 votes [56.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 56.25%

2. No (7 votes [43.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 43.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 16:49

Apparently a study has been conducted into addiction with the internet (Sauce). I didn't know this was a thing, but how about we find out about our communities usage?

Spoiler

Edit: My answer to 7 should actually be yes, but that doesn't relate to excess use :sly:

Edited by Wizard, 12 January 2012 - 16:50.

#2 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 17:31

It's odd this one. I'm not addicted by any means, but I can feel at times I should cut down or find better outlets. This applies mostly to the questions of causing harm to relationships and turning to it when in a low mood. My last relationship was damaged to a degree by the time spent on the computer/internet (mostly because she didn't like it). I also find it a safe place when feeling down, as I don't have to bring my real life problems online. It's a haven for me, but I wouldn't say I'm addicted (three yes answers).
For there can be no death without life.

#3 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 18:28

I find it difficult to cut back... Perhaps that's because it's hard to make websites without it though. |8
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#4 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 23:10

I don't feel the need to cut back :P . I do generally stay longer on the internet than I intend to, but I'm very sure I'm not addicted to it. I didn't answer yes to any of the other questions.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 Slye_Fox

FOXTec Leader

• Project Leader
  • 2351 posts
  • Projects: CnC: Condition Red, Sigma Invasion, Armoured Sky: Ethereal Dawn

Posted 12 January 2012 - 23:37

Do you feel preoccupied with the internet?

Not sure what this means, so I put no.

Do you feel the need to use the internet with increasing amounts of time in order to achieve satisfaction?

Nope, no need to increass my time from all day for me. ^_^

Have you repeatedly made unsuccessful efforts to control, cut back or stop internet use?

Nope.
No unsucseffull ateps made, because no attapts have been made at all.

Do you feel restless, moody, depressed, or irritable when attempting to cut down or stop internet use?

Nope, see previus answer.

Do you stay online longer than intended?

Nope, I intend to stay on in all my free time, and that's how long I stay on. ^_^

Have you jeopardized or risked the loss of a significant relationship, job, educational or career opportunity because of the internet?

Nope.

Have you lied to family members, a therapist or others to conceal the extent of involvement with the internet?

Nope, they allready know.

Do you use the internet as a way of escaping from problems or of relieving a distressed mood (eg feelings of helplessness, guilt, anxiety and depression)?

Nope.

Well, acording to those "experts", I'm not addicted to the internet.

Also;
Sorry for spelling, Firefox's spell check dosn;t seem to work with new post system.
Posted Image

#6 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 23:46

I don't think you need an expert to tell you that you have a problem :P

#7 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 00:44

For me it's something else; I don't have anything off the internet to do besides games, eating, sleeping etc. :xD:

...with so little time left, there's no point in finding something else to do too.
Posted Image

#8 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:42

Destiny, on 13 January 2012 - 00:44, said:

For me it's something else; I don't have anything off the internet to do besides games, eating, sleeping etc. :xD:

...with so little time left, there's no point in finding something else to do too.

^ What Destiny said.
Theres no other means of entertainment in this country, bar activities for stupid people :P

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#9 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:46

Do I use the internet to much? Probably, am I addicted to it? I don't think so. I've never had withdrawal symptoms when I've been away in the mountains with no internet access.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 Pandut

Abdomen and some dried fish.

• Project Team
  • 1261 posts
  • Projects: Frontlines and European Conflict

Posted 14 January 2012 - 20:40

Guilty as charged XD.
Formerly Sobek

#11 Krieger22

Semi-Pro

• 224 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:55

Not guilty, but try telling that to my parents :xD:

Sareen said:

NOOO NO NO NO NO NO NOOOO ...*closes ears* lalalala that never happened!

#12 deltaepsilon

Delta Operator

• Member Test
  • 859 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:35

"Have you jeopardized or risked the loss of a significant relationship, job, educational or career opportunity because of the internet?"

I voted no for this, but I probably would've gotten a higher ATAR this year if I spent more time studying rather than sinking countless hours into mindless internet browsing.
----------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------

The name's Bond.

Covalent Bond.

#13 Admiral FCS

?????

• Member Test
  • 1526 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:35

...reading this reminds me, I should get on with my History homework...

...oh wait, I have to type it 8|

I think the Internet's like a double-edged sword to be, because...well...I guess most of you guys know, but it's both an almost mandatory tool and something else.

#14 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:34

Surprisingly, I only had 3. Maybe that's because I've never attempted to be "cured" of my addiction? :P

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#15 GuardianTempest

Regular

• 180 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:30

Not esxactly 'addicted', more like 'dependent', since due to a few problems this is the best utility ever. If you can juggle forums and schoolwork, you might find yourself enjoying your homework at the same time motivated by pictures of cats to cheer you on.
OC's and stuff
DeviantArt
*RWUAAARAAUGHRWAGH!!*
--------------------------
Posted Image
"I am an artist of daydreams. With just a little material, be it a picture, audio or a simple thought, it could fuel a derivative masterpiece."
And I also do Walfas Comics...when I feel like it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users