#1 Encrypted

<Custom title available>

• Project Team
  • 523 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict

Posted 17 January 2012 - 16:16

http://wikimediafoun...i-SOPA_blackout

https://www.eff.org/...ing-free-speech

If you havnt already taken the time to read this, it's worth the read :).

#2 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 16:31

Rather glad that Dobby is based in Europe. If this becomes law, good bye American Internet D8

#3 Wanderer

Lurking around since 2005

• Member Test
  • 622 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 17:47

Basically SOPA won't become a law unless they do significant changes to it

http://www.escapistm...ss-Shelves-SOPA

Still PIPA (Protect IP Act) is being pushed, which is as bad as SOPA is.

#4 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 21:36

Goddammit Americans DO SOMETHING! You are being raped left and right by the banks and industry and nobody seems to care a goddamn bit :/ .
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 cccdfern

Professional

• 318 posts
  • Projects: FoxMod

Posted 18 January 2012 - 00:24

wait, aren't other massive domains meant to be participating in the blackout? Think I remember someone saying twitter, youtube, facebook; anyone able to verify this?
To listen and learn, or contribute and teach.

#6 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:51

View Postcccdfern, on 18 January 2012 - 00:24, said:

wait, aren't other massive domains meant to be participating in the blackout? Think I remember someone saying twitter, youtube, facebook; anyone able to verify this?

None of those three that you mention are participating, I believe it's partly because of recent amendments to SOPA, and partly because they're international organisations that serve more than just Americans. It wouldn't be good business. Especially not when Facebook is rumoured to be going for an IPO (initial Public Offering), and the last thing they want to be seen as are activists in any form.
For there can be no death without life.

#7 Krieger22

Semi-Pro

• 224 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:12

View PostAJ, on 18 January 2012 - 02:51, said:

View Postcccdfern, on 18 January 2012 - 00:24, said:

None of those three that you mention are participating, I believe it's partly because of recent amendments to SOPA, and partly because they're international organisations that serve more than just Americans. It wouldn't be good business. Especially not when Facebook is rumoured to be going for an IPO (initial Public Offering), and the last thing they want to be seen as are activists in any form.

Yes, right when Facebook has always been making some sort of stand against the privacy of its users. To be honest, the message needs to be sent. This really isn't good law, and piracy will have to be handled some other way as always. Even the White House disagrees (or at least it did when I heard it).

Sareen said:

NOOO NO NO NO NO NO NOOOO ...*closes ears* lalalala that never happened!

#8 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts
  • Projects: So like when is my warn level coming down?

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:17

Being the tard that i am how does this affect people out side the US?

I question the general assumption that i am inherently deficient in the area of grammar and sentence structure

#9 n5p29

Lurker

• Project Leader
  • 1417 posts
  • Projects: NProject Mod, Recolonize, Tidal Wars

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:22

somehow I still could see the wiki articles. O.o
the black page just shown up after a while, but there's still a way to see them.

#10 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:30

View PostMajor Fuckup, on 18 January 2012 - 10:17, said:

Being the tard that i am how does this affect people out side the US?
If it passes through it will probably briefly disrupt any US-hosted websites you visit, although pretty quickly most companies will relocate their servers out of the country and out of reach of the bill.

As hard as they can try, US legislation does not apply outside the US.

Posted Image

#11 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:41

View PostAlias, on 18 January 2012 - 10:30, said:

As hard as they can try, US legislation does not apply outside the US.
Not for the want of trying though, aye! :rolleyes:

#12 Wanderer

• Member Test
  • 622 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:13

The lawtext is written so broadly that basically any website with .com, .org can be interpreted as being a US-site (youtube.com,piratebay.com,reddit.com) If RIAA and MPAA and other organizatons have learned to take advantage of the current law already, what kind of things are they gonna do with the new law that gives them even more power.

http://blog.reddit.c...n-this-all.html

http://www.reddit.co...3haro?context=3

What would have been great if today both google and facebook would have taken their sites down for today or even half a day. English wikipedia is dark for today as are a couple of gaming sites. It would have shown what it could be like if ppl really take advantage of bad lawmaking

One great video about PIPA

Edited by Wanderer, 18 January 2012 - 12:23.

#13 Encrypted

<Custom title available>

• Project Team
  • 523 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 16:41

Hopefully the people that this is going to affect take notice of all of this. Essentially most internet users if it gets out of hand, as that Video suggests. Some mention of it was on the news here. Moddb has also made a change to its header to in light of recent events :P;

Posted Image

Edited by Encrypted, 18 January 2012 - 16:46.

#14 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:37

The blackouts look like they have had the desired effect. Quite a few bill sponsers have pulled their names from them (SOPA/PIPA).

Seemingly good news. At least they may be reworded now, but I doubt they will go away completely.

#15 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:33

They'll push and push until they get what they want until something big happens, I'm convinved of that. There is, in their mind, too much money at stake, and they have the entire political system on their side. It is incredibly important to raise awareness for this issue because unless the entire nation cries out against it they'll push it through.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 Dr. Strangelove

Grand Poobah and Lord High Everything Else

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts
  • Projects: Where parallels meet.

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:12

Even if both bills fail, it's only delaying the inevitable. Government always grows.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#17 Wanderer

• Member Test
  • 622 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 13:37

The thing is, it's not the government after this, it's the RIAA, it's the MPAA, it's the recording industry and movie industry, THEY are the one's pushing for this and funding it.

#18 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 13:44

View PostWanderer, on 19 January 2012 - 13:37, said:

The thing is, it's not the government after this, it's the RIAA, it's the MPAA, it's the recording industry and movie industry, THEY are the one's pushing for this and funding it.
That is a valid and good point. But they have, imo at least, totally missed the point with these bills. There are already copyright laws in existance that do the job the SOPA and PIPA are allegedly supposed to do. The issue is enforcement. The MPAA and RIAA think that they can hurt pirates by blocking them in the US, which may be marginally true, but that should not come at the expense of freedom of information and castrating the internet.

#19 Wanderer

• Member Test
  • 622 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 14:15

A good video about this:

#20 Encrypted

<Custom title available>

• Project Team
  • 523 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:06

Thats a great video :). Easy to understand and to the point.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users