top-down retro goodness

anybody know?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:42

So here's what I'm after. I was thinking back of the good old days of GTA 2 in multiplayer, where you could pick up weapons, yank people out of their cars, drive around or shoot everything or both etc. etc. I miss those days D: .

So does anybody know other games like this?

Example of GTA 2 in multiplayer:

TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:46

Saints Row 3 is pretty much what you described, it's got a great co-op mode too.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#3 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:06

View PostTheDR, on 05 February 2012 - 01:46, said:

Saints Row 3 is pretty much what you described, it's got a great co-op mode too.

I think he's talking about retro games, cause otherwise he could just play GTA IV :P

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#4 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:08

View PostTheDR, on 05 February 2012 - 01:46, said:

Minus the small fact that it isn't, you know, top down.

The closest thing to what you describe that I can think of is a little freeware multiplayer game called Subvein that I used to play a while back (I helped test the very first versions, it's come along way since then), it's actually made by a good friend of a friend of mine. I haven't played it for a while, but it does have an active community and it gets updated pretty regularly.

Here's a video:

Here's some screenshots:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 Raven

Ready to rumble

• Member Test
  • 854 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:19

If you are into sci fi....Space Pirates n Zombies is quite good. I got it during the Dec Steam sale and its pretty good. I've played it more than any other title recently.

#6 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:58

Why not just play GTA2? :P

If a coop shooter would be accepable, I'd suggest Alien Swarm, quite fun with 3 other people. Not retro either...but oh well :P

Edited by Sgt. Rho, 05 February 2012 - 05:31.

#7 deltaepsilon

Delta Operator

• Member Test
  • 859 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:53

Alien Swarm got old a while ago :P
----------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------

The name's Bond.

Covalent Bond.

#8 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:55

Thanks chappies, it doesn't necessarily have to be retro but I seriously can't think of any non-top-down games that are NOT retro :xD: . I have to say Alias' suggested game looks scarily like what I was looking for, I'm definitely going to try that out :D . As to why not GTA2; I would, but it's impossible to get a game with someone on that :xD: . And I got this idea while playing Crimsonland, in which movement is controlled by the keyboard and the firing and turning around by the mouse; GTA2's keyboard-only controls are a bit outdated. So basically I was wondering if there were games that combined GTA2 and Crimsonland.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users