Most Underrated Games!

24 replies to this topic

#1 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:41

Press score, thats what I call as bribed voting. You give some money to game review sites or medias, and they give you high score, thats what it is all about.

I think Monster Hunter is one of those games which greatly underrated and not known by majority of Europeans and American gamers, it is very famous in Japan though, it become a legend over there.

So list your games which you think everyone or fans of that certain genre must absolutely play, just don't mind the ratings given by websites.

#2 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:12

I think EVE Online, Nexus: The Jupiter Incident and CnC4 are all pretty underrated. I can partially understand CnC4, but it's still fun as hell.

#3 Wanderer

Lurking around since 2005

• Member Test
  • 622 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 18:54

Eve takes a certain kind of player, I don't think it's underrated. It's a niche game

#4 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 19:53

Beyond Good and Evil
Empires: Dawn of the Modern World
FEAR
Giants: Citizen Kabuto
Myst
No One Lives Forever

Posted Image

#5 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 19:55

EVE isn't underrated. It's just a niche game, the playerbase is small but it's widely known and respected.

I'd say the Heroes Chronicles Games, which are essentially a bunch of short Heroes of Might and Magic 3 campaigns they made as advertisement, fantastic plot, especially the first one, which managed to be a pretty good depiction of an idealistic rebels slow descent into becoming an even worse tyrant than the ones he overthrew.

Also, E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy, hilariously, Jim Sterling, attention whore and horrible game reviewer at large, managed to be the only professional journalist who really made a perfect review of it
Everything about the game is utterly batshit crazy. The hacking system is best described here. The main character is a member of an insane splinter group of a faction within an ancient conspiracy hidden within a daemon hunting organisation. Your foes include giant daemons with cannons for arms and blind women dressed in white wielding machine guns. The plot seems to have been made up by a young pretentious french art school student, who then let his swearword happy and badass obsessed 13 year old brother write the dialogue. The backstory includes hastely described alien invasions, supernatural invasions and civil wars. And the character design seems to be a wild mixture of samurais, Warhammer 40k, cyberpunk and some serious hallucinogens.
It's awesome.

Also, Cryostasis, which I made a review of a year or two back.

EDIT: Alias, you consider FEAR underrated? It's one of the most known horror/action games. And Myst is the most known puzzle game ever.

Edited by SquigPie, 09 April 2012 - 19:57.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#6 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 09 April 2012 - 19:56

View PostAlias, on 09 April 2012 - 19:53, said:

Beyond Good and Evil

I can only agree on that game. I wonder if they're ever going to release a sequel as they promised...

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#7 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 20:10

View PostSquigPie, on 09 April 2012 - 19:55, said:

EDIT: Alias, you consider FEAR underrated? It's one of the most known horror/action games. And Myst is the most known puzzle game ever.
Yeah, I was kinda stumped by that too, they made 5 Mysts ffs :xD: .

Personally I'd go for genewars which was one of Bullfrog's few flops. Built on an extremely interesting premise that somewhat resembles Impossible Creatures but simpler in creature design and much more complex in every other way.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 20:10

View PostSquigPie, on 09 April 2012 - 19:55, said:

I'm not just basing on reviews (in fact, I'm mainly not counting reviews at all, because they're so skewed), I'm basing mainly on common knowledge within the game community. FEAR was pretty well received but really, considering how well it stands up to its contemporaries, it didn't get nearly the attention it deserved. Half of this forum doesn't even know what FEAR is, last time I checked. Same case with Myst, really, but that's mainly due to age now more than anything else.

A lot of people may know about them, but today at least - many gamers haven't played them.

View PostCJ, on 09 April 2012 - 19:56, said:

View PostAlias, on 09 April 2012 - 19:53, said:

Beyond Good and Evil

I can only agree on that game. I wonder if they're ever going to release a sequel as they promised...
Last I checked they're working on it, so good news. Looking forward to it, seems like FPS-madness has finally started calming down in the last year or so, so we should see some good adventure games in the coming years.

Edited by Alias, 09 April 2012 - 20:11.

Posted Image

#9 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 20:12

View PostAlias, on 09 April 2012 - 20:10, said:

seems like FPS-madness has finally started calming down in the last year or so, so we should see some good adventure games in the coming years.
Tell that to Syndicate >.> . Don't be surprised if they make a FPS Beyond Good and Evil :P .

Edited by Chyros, 09 April 2012 - 20:12.

TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 09 April 2012 - 20:27

View PostChyros, on 09 April 2012 - 20:12, said:

View PostAlias, on 09 April 2012 - 20:10, said:

seems like FPS-madness has finally started calming down in the last year or so, so we should see some good adventure games in the coming years.
Tell that to Syndicate >.> . Don't be surprised if they make a FPS Beyond Good and Evil :P .

The only way they could do that would be by turning it into a 007 like-game where your camera will be able to shoot people literally :P

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#11 Raven

Ready to rumble

• Member Test
  • 854 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:43

F.E.A.R 1 was well known IMO cos it was sort of leading the FPS back at the time.

I'd say Vanquish is a game that deserves more attention. It has good reviews, but most ppl don't know that I guess.
Ground Control 2. GC1 is also cool IMO.

#12 Slye_Fox

FOXTec Leader

• Project Leader
  • 2351 posts
  • Projects: CnC: Condition Red, Sigma Invasion, Armoured Sky: Ethereal Dawn

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:29

Space Empires IV
Warzone 2100
Posted Image

#13 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:45

Divine Divinity 2

The first hour is the same as every other action RPG, but after that its one of the most satisfying games I have played, interesting combat system, masses and masses of exploration, sidequests by the boatload, hundreds of secrets, good voice acting, good dialogue - some of which is pretty funny and the plot /storyline is good as well. It's also long - I sunk 60 hours into it.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:55

View PostIon Cannon!, on 10 April 2012 - 09:45, said:

Divine Divinity 2

The first hour is the same as every other action RPG, but after that its one of the most satisfying games I have played, interesting combat system, masses and masses of exploration, sidequests by the boatload, hundreds of secrets, good voice acting, good dialogue - some of which is pretty funny and the plot /storyline is good as well. It's also long - I sunk 60 hours into it.
Cheers - I think I'll check this one out. Sounds a lot like my kettle of fish.

Edited by Alias, 10 April 2012 - 09:57.

Posted Image

#15 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:02

View PostAlias, on 10 April 2012 - 09:55, said:

View PostIon Cannon!, on 10 April 2012 - 09:45, said:

Divine Divinity 2

Cheers - I think I'll check this one out. Sounds a lot like my kettle of fish.

I had been meaning to check it out for a while before I actually did, got it cheap on steam over christmas. It's a pity I inadvertently outgeared myself (Via enchanting), the game was just the right mix of challenging without being ridiculous before that. It also has some very short platforming, which ties in nicely to puzzles or a secret / sidequest usually.

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 10 April 2012 - 10:03.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:13

On the topic of RPGs, here's two more to add to the list:

Dungeon Siege
Titan Quest

Posted Image

#17 Wanderer

Lurking around since 2005

• Member Test
  • 622 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:19

The first dungeon siege is good and I don't think it's underrated. The newer ones aren't as good as the first one though. Titan quest is a good diablo-clone if you are looking for something until D3 comes out

#18 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 13:20

I really enjoyed Dungeon Siege 2, and 3 isn't bad either, it's just not a Dungeon Siege game.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 14:04

How could I forget Z? The most underrated RTS game ever made, and IMO still the one based on the best and most interesting mechanics. Long campaign that will take you quite a few tries to complete, and even now it doesn't look that bad, courtesy of its development by the Bitmap Brothers :D .
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#20 Slye_Fox

FOXTec Leader

• Project Leader
  • 2351 posts
  • Projects: CnC: Condition Red, Sigma Invasion, Armoured Sky: Ethereal Dawn

Posted 10 April 2012 - 15:35

KKND2: Krossfire
Posted Image

#21 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 20:32

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light.

First, don't look at this like it's a tomb raider game (it's really not!). Look at it as Smash TV with some really cool co-op puzzles that rival the co-op mode on Portal 2. Play it with a friend and have a good time!
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#22 Brad

Quick! STAB YOURSELF FOR SAFETY!

• Member Test
  • 1467 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 21:28

I always thought Seven Kingdoms was an underrated game, but I'm not a good judge of these sort of things.

It was way back now, but I still have it on my computer and I play it occasionally - it was always fun to infiltrate a spy into an enemy's fort and then take their military over right at the precipice of action.

The sequel was fun, but it never held the same charm for me.

Edited by Brad, 10 April 2012 - 21:30.

You almost did, didn't you?

#23 Raven

Ready to rumble

• Member Test
  • 854 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:24

View PostTheDR, on 10 April 2012 - 20:32, said:

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light.

First, don't look at this like it's a tomb raider game (it's really not!). Look at it as Smash TV with some really cool co-op puzzles that rival the co-op mode on Portal 2. Play it with a friend and have a good time!

Oh yes...I think the game is rated well. It did not get the attention cos its a downloadable game perhaps. This is the best local co-op game i've played. Its great to play on a console.

#24 Anubis

Lord of the Underworld

• Project Leader
  • 1259 posts
  • Projects: MGS projects.

Posted 11 April 2012 - 18:50

If i were to chose 2 underrated games that imo were and still are awsome it would be submarine titans and Kohan 2. I've played just about every RTS game that has come out since 1999, but this 2 are still in my top 5.

Edited by Anubis, 11 April 2012 - 18:51.

#25 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 11 April 2012 - 19:45

Holy crap, I totally forgot about Submarine Titans. It's a shame really, since then I've not seen a game that is anything like ST at all, exept for the underwater part of Anno 2070.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users