Call of Duty: Black Ops 2

47 replies to this topic

#26 CoLT

Cuboning!

• Project Team
  • 1611 posts
  • Projects: Untitled, Generation X, March of the Cursed Reich (Working Title)

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:30

Chyros said:

Also, just to be clear, I still maintain MW3 is a well-designed game in many ways. The only things wrong with it is that they made the weapons and especially the maps catastrophically boring. Why I bought Black Ops I do not know, for there is no way to defend this decision, tbh.

That's a perfect fanboy statement right there. I don't really care about the singleplayer right now, but I've played the multiplayer and please explain to me what the difference is between MW2 and MW3? It looks, feels and plays almost exactly the same. (just with.... NEW GUNS). Because by your logic then, MW2 was a well-designed game in many ways. The only things wrong with it is that they made the weapons and especially the maps catastrophically boring.

At least Black Ops had a nice singleplayer story that, although wacky at times, I actually enjoyed. After Modern Warfare, I'd say CoD was dead. Because aside from graphics, that's the limit of their imagination. MW2 had a disappointing storyline and multiplayer is just a run'n'gun spam-kill game, which hasn't changed in MW3. It's no wonder this franchise is so popular with 5 year old boys. Because they will play the campaign and go "woah, cool" like they are seeing tits for the first time and then they can "own" in multiplayer because it's the FPS equivalent of a button-mash-to-win fighting game.

I really, really, hate CoD players, especially when they claim to be "pros" or whatever at the game. Play BF3, Counter-strike or basically any FPS that isn't COD: BO, MW2 or MW3 and then realise that you've become "great" at a "game" that requires zero-skill whatsoever to play.

I rest my case.

Edited by CoLT, 18 August 2012 - 01:31.

Posted Image

#27 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:33

View PostChyros, on 16 August 2012 - 12:36, said:

Also, just to be clear, I still maintain MW3 is a well-designed game in many ways. The only things wrong with it is that they made the weapons and especially the maps catastrophically boring. Why I bought Black Ops I do not know, for there is no way to defend this decision, tbh.

It's isn't. It's a "McDonald's Game". It appeals to basically everyone, but...is not really good. It's just a slighly more polished MW2, which is a minimally more complex version of MW. I'm basically with CoLT here.

Edited by Sgt. Rho, 18 August 2012 - 01:34.

#28 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:36

View PostCoLT, on 18 August 2012 - 01:30, said:

Chyros said:

That's a perfect fanboy statement right there. I don't really care about the singleplayer right now, but I've played the multiplayer and please explain to me what the difference is between MW2 and MW3? It looks, feels and plays almost exactly the same. (just with.... NEW GUNS). Because by your logic then, MW2 was a well-designed game in many ways. The only things wrong with it is that they made the weapons and especially the maps catastrophically boring.

At least Black Ops had a nice singleplayer story that, although wacky at times, I actually enjoyed. After Modern Warfare, I'd say CoD was dead. Because aside from graphics, that's the limit of their imagination. MW2 had a disappointing storyline and multiplayer is just a run'n'gun spam-kill game, which hasn't changed in MW3. It's no wonder this franchise is so popular with 5 year old boys. Because they will play the campaign and go "woah, cool" like they are seeing tits for the first time and then they can "own" in multiplayer because it's the FPS equivalent of a button-mash-to-win fighting game.

I really, really, hate CoD players, especially when they claim to be "pros" or whatever at the game. Play BF3, Counter-strike or basically any FPS that isn't COD: BO, MW2 or MW3 and then realise that you've become "great" at a "game" that requires zero-skill whatsoever to play.

I rest my case.
I love people who hate CoD players <3 .

I won't waste my time explaining my statement to you though, because if you can't see the differences between MW2 and MW3, you are not skilled enough to understand what I'd have to say, and even if you were, you are so biased you wouldn't care.

I'm also really not sure what your gripe is about the "skill" of the game. Suppose I design a game where the graphics are just a black screen so you can't see anything. Would be hard as fuck and require great skill but I'm quite sure it wouldn't be rated very highly by anyone.

You're welcome to play against us someday, though.

View PostSgt. Rho, on 18 August 2012 - 01:33, said:

View PostChyros, on 16 August 2012 - 12:36, said:

It's isn't. It's a "McDonald's Game". It appeals to basically everyone, but...is not really good. It's just a slighly more polished MW2, which is a minimally more complex version of MW. I'm basically with CoLT here.
Same deal, if you'd bothered to play the games, it would be immediately apparent what the differences are because they are quite massive on any non-superficial level. Differences between MW2 and BO are even bigger, so huge it's amazing they're sold under the same brand name.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#29 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:47

I've played all 3 MWs. The main difference from game to game is basically: More guns, less skill requirement. The difference is not "quite massive", it's quite the opposite. The difference between, say, BF2 and BC2 is "quite massive", or even between BF2 and BF3.Or hell, Crysis Wars and Crysis 2 MP. But not between MW1, 2 and 3.

There is in fact, more difference between EVE Online: Quantum Rise, EVE Online: Apocrypha and EVE Online: Dominion.

Edited by Sgt. Rho, 18 August 2012 - 02:54.

#30 Wanderer

Lurking around since 2005

• Member Test
  • 622 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:50

You can only do so much when you have only 2 years to do a new game.... There is a difference between the games, they might not be really big ( 2 years to make a game, remember?), but they do exist. For example, for MW3, they removed most of the annoying last stand- "ooh I shot you from the ground while I was dropping so I was invulnerable" from the game. It's still there, but it's harder to get so it's not that bad. They also removed the ability to "farm" your killstreaks with other killstreaks. "IW" made the game more balanced and in many ways it's better than MW2.... aaaand then fucked it up by making the guns and maps too similar and very boring. I'm really hoping that the whole series goes into a big deathspiral, but hey, not gonna happen anytime soon. I'll save my money for better games.

#31 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:58

View PostWanderer, on 18 August 2012 - 03:50, said:

You can only do so much when you have only 2 years to do a new game.... There is a difference between the games, they might not be really big ( 2 years to make a game, remember?), but they do exist. For example, for MW3, they removed most of the annoying last stand- "ooh I shot you from the ground while I was dropping so I was invulnerable" from the game. It's still there, but it's harder to get so it's not that bad. They also removed the ability to "farm" your killstreaks with other killstreaks. "IW" made the game more balanced and in many ways it's better than MW2.... aaaand then fucked it up by making the guns and maps too similar and very boring. I'm really hoping that the whole series goes into a big deathspiral, but hey, not gonna happen anytime soon. I'll save my money for better games.

Well maybe they should take more time between every game instead of shitting the same one over and over again for 5 years then?

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#32 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:33

Yeah, I mean if it's done right, good games have lifetimes of at least three years and then we get the really exceptional games that can have from 5-10 years lifetime.

Posted Image

#33 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:08

View PostChyros, on 17 August 2012 - 16:59, said:

View PostWizard, on 16 August 2012 - 15:34, said:

This is now different from MW how exactly?
Would you REALLY want to know? :P
Always happy to indulge you mate :D

#34 Camille

girl eater

• Project Team
  • 2351 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:31

why does everyone care so much about what other people like? ;_;

it's almost as if videogames aren't about fun anymore.

i mean, nobody's going to force fun on me. i'll make that choice myself.
it's time to wake up

#35 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:54

It's called "Discussion". And "Voicing an opinion".

#36 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 13:04

View PostWizard, on 18 August 2012 - 09:08, said:

View PostChyros, on 17 August 2012 - 16:59, said:

View PostWizard, on 16 August 2012 - 15:34, said:

This is now different from MW how exactly?
Would you REALLY want to know? :P
Always happy to indulge you mate :D
:lol:

Well ok then :xD: .

Well it's easy to see differences between them as one is made by IW and the other is made by Treyarch, both of which cling stubbornly to their own design philosophies. IW titles tend to adhere more strictly to the core game mechanics while Treyarch titles are more liberal with them and tend to deviate strongly. This results in perks with a much less structured use and which generally can't be used to construct a purposeful class. Treyarch perks tend to have effects such as immunity to flashbangs, rerolling care packages and very strong Last Stand perks, none of which you can really plan to use; they just come in handy at random occurrences. A MW class might be a runner, which would feature perks that give you speed such as Marathon and Lightweight, an assault guy which would feature stuff like fast reloads and stopping power to help out at the front lines, or a stealth character such as a sniper or infiltrator which would come with stealth perks that make them invisible on radar and silent while running. These design decisions, making dedicated, purpose-built classes, are not possible in Treyarch games.

Furthermore, weapon styles are very different. Infinity Ward tend to go for well-known weapons with which the public can identify, such as the M4, AK-47, MP5, Barrett, AUG, SCAR etc. while Treyarch invariably go for extremely obscure weapons like some Battlefield games do, or even weapons that don't exist at all (for example, BO2 will have weapons such as the TAC-45, M1216, Chicom QCB, PDW-57, M8A1, DSR 50, and FHJ-18). Furthermore, while Infinity ward tend to diversify weapons as much as possible, giving every weapon a different role, Treyarch are notorious for picking weapons on whim and copying weapon stats across a whole weapon range (for example, Black Ops had LITERALLY only two automatic rates of fire; 750 RPM and 937.5 RPM, and even recoil patterns were the same on many weapons, e.g. the MAC-11, PM63, Kiparis, Spectre, Enfield, Galil, FAMAS, AUG and G11 have the same recoil pattern). While Infinity Ward weapons are often badly balanced, as we know, even undermatched weapons have SOME advantage over their superiors (for example the M4, while less good than the ACR, still has higher rate of fire than the ACR in MW2 and is thus still more powerful), while the carbon copies in Treyarch games are the same in every way except that one is better in some way. For example, it can be mathematically shown that the best BO weapon is the FAMAS as it has the higher of the two rates of fire, the assault rifle damage as opposed to the SMG damage, which is better (for practical pruposes both classes feature only one damage bracket), and the lowest recoil. In other words, you can literally SOLVE Treyarch games in terms of weapons.

As for killstreaks and hardpoints, IW have not only invented them, but also stuck with the more interesting (and the most balanced) ones. Treyarch killstreaks are not only uncounterable, but also vastly more overpowered and infinitely more annoying, put in, as always with Treyarch, merely on a whim. This is because IW games tend to feature protecting mechanics such as staticky cameras and AI-controlled hardpoint movement to protect other players, as well as players being safe in buildings, but Treyarch games don't protect other players at all. While the Chopper Gunner in MW2 is very powerful for example, just one perk, Cold-Blooded, which renders you all but completely invisible on the highly staticky chopper camera (and protects against other hardpoints as well, as you'd expect it should) can be used to counter the Chopper Gunner quickly and efficiently. In Treyarch games, you need one perk to protect you against some of the hardpoints and another to shield you against the rest, and some hardpoints can't be feasibly countered at all. The BO equivalent of the Chopper gunner has no staticky camera and as such even with the supposedly protecting perk you can be seen with great ease, and the chopper movement itself can additionally be controlled by the user, meaning that it is literally uncounterable. While the stealth bomber in MW2 kills stuff very efficiently in the open, you can hear it coming from far away and it's easy to take shelter in a building. However, the bomber plane in Black Ops kills everyone even through buildings and with any perk, so you can't defend yourself from it in any way. Similarly, killstreaks such as the RC-XD and dogs (both of which return in BO2, with the RC-XD additionally being autonomous and capable of flight as well) can't be defended against either, even inside buildings. As a fun notion, the dogs respawn infinitely, may respawn next to players, and have more health than players as well.

Finally, map design differs significantly between the two developers. While IW tend to go for maps with clearly distinguishing features and strongly varying environments in maps, such as cliffs, caves, bunkers, valleys etc. all of which cater to completely different weapon types (think Afghan in MW2), Treyarch maps are all rat mazes that look the same and only cater to assault rifles. All corridors twist and turn for no reason other than to reduce long-range visibility and as such there is not really a difference between maps themselves or between positions in the maps, as everywhere in the game looks and plays the same. While in MW2 could could say to your teammates "I'm on the cliff", in Treyarch games you'd have to communicate as something like "I'm on the corner of the third side-alley of the second alley of the third street and the fifth side-alley of the third alley of the fourth street".

As MW3 was developed by the leftovers of IW and partially by Treyarch, MW3 (unsurprisingly) can best be described as a combination between IW's fantastic perk innovations and fantastic killstreak/hardpoint innovations, both of which would certainly enrich any CoD game they were put in, and Treyarchs awful weapon statistics that make no sense and their boring, rat maze maps. MW3 adds to MW2 the ability to not play as a kill farmer if you don't want to, something no other CoD to date made possible. The video I have posted of Body Odour 2 should make it clear that Treyarch have further exaggerated the same mistakes they have made time and time again, with additional noob elements such as target highlighting and hardpoints that are even more annoying, uncounterable and outrageous.

So Rho and Colt, the difference IS massive, just because you don't know the games well enough to see it doesn't mean it's not there. If you HAVE played them and still can't see them, you're not good enough to play either game on a decent level.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#37 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 13:10

View PostChyros, on 18 August 2012 - 13:04, said:

So Rho and Colt, the difference IS massive, just because you don't know the games well enough to see it doesn't mean it's not there. If you HAVE played them and still can't see them, you're not good enough to play either game on a decent level.

So basically you're calling everyone who plays a game for fun and doesn't care about RPM and other numeric shit like that a retard? Sounds legit.

#38 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 13:17

Chyros, you are talking about the difference between MW and BO. I was talking about the difference between MW1,2 and 3.

#39 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 13:32

View PostCJ, on 18 August 2012 - 13:10, said:

So basically you're calling everyone who plays a game for fun and doesn't care about RPM and other numeric shit like that a retard? Sounds legit.
If you play them only superficially and casually, you're probably the sort of person that we with our team beat on a pretty much uninterrupted basis, yeah. And if you can't see that the two games are different in any way at all, you are indeed a retard.

Chyros, you are talking about the difference between MW and BO. I was talking about the difference between MW1,2 and 3.
I was answering Wiz' question, but I also answered yours:

As MW3 was developed by the leftovers of IW and partially by Treyarch, MW3 (unsurprisingly) can best be described as a combination between IW's fantastic perk innovations and fantastic killstreak/hardpoint innovations, both of which would certainly enrich any CoD game they were put in, and Treyarchs awful weapon statistics that make no sense and their boring, rat maze maps. MW3 adds to MW2 the ability to not play as a kill farmer if you don't want to, something no other CoD to date made possible.
I used the difference between Treyarch and IW to illustrate the differences between MW2 and MW3, as they can be easily found through an analysis of who made the games. The good things the IW side of the developers added, which is what I was talking about when I said that "I still maintain MW3 is a well-designed game in many ways. The only things wrong with it is that they made the weapons and especially the maps catastrophically boring." is that not only kills reward the player in MW3, but also doing other things such as capturing flags, arming/disarming the bomb, etc. In going from MW2 to MW3, to put it into layman's terms, they went from Team Deathmatch to Domination.

EDIT: the differences between CoD 4 and MW2 are also very big, but on a very different level, as MW2 was mostly innovation rather than changing around the whole objective of the game as MW3 was. I should add that I maintain that CoD 4 is still the best CoD to date, due in big part to its moddability.

Edited by Chyros, 18 August 2012 - 13:34.

TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#40 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 13:50

View PostChyros, on 18 August 2012 - 13:32, said:

If you play them only superficially and casually, you're probably the sort of person that we with our team beat on a pretty much uninterrupted basis, yeah. And if you can't see that the two games are different in any way at all, you are indeed a retard.

Bollops and MW are different, but it's not because of the stupid numeric stuff you're mentioning.

#41 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 14:26

View PostCJ, on 18 August 2012 - 13:50, said:

View PostChyros, on 18 August 2012 - 13:32, said:

Bollops and MW are different, but it's not because of the stupid numeric stuff you're mentioning.
I never said it was ONLY because of that, but it is PARTLY because of that. Just because you don't like or can't handle numbers doesn't make them irrelevant.

Could it be (ZOMG) that someone actually knows something you don't? :omfg:

Edited by Chyros, 18 August 2012 - 14:29.

TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#42 Camille

girl eater

• Project Team
  • 2351 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 14:57

View PostSgt. Rho, on 18 August 2012 - 10:54, said:

It's called "Discussion". And "Voicing an opinion".

too bad there's more of the latter and almost none of the former.

'cept for chyros perhaps. chyros generally knows what he talks about. doesn't make his opinion 'better' than anyone else's, but at least he knows what he talks about.

since we're going on about opinions here i might as well state my own: i do (or did, at least) play my fair share of CoD and i have enjoyed it for the most part as a casual time-killer. i won't ever deny that the games are indeed huge re-hashes and i personally hate the whole yearly cycle-thing with a passion. this is starting to be the clearest for me with Babby's Ornament: 2 as the utter stagnation seeps through each and every of it's holes. it's probably the first time since i first started playing cod4 that i'm really not at all excited for the game. everything is a remodel, retexture, recode, cover-up, copy etc etc... it's just been shaken up a bit but apart from that it's in fact exactly the same. i only had to see a few minutes of the multiplayer footage to instantly recognize every little thing they copied, slapped a new name and model on etc. it just feels so used up, like they're desperately trying to sell a way overdue product by constantly putting new coats of paint over it. it's stagnation at it's finest, it's going to be very boring for me and i won't buy it for that reason. i think i may have had it with CoD in general. finally. or at least for a good while.

Edited by Camille, 18 August 2012 - 14:59.

it's time to wake up

#43 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 15:04

View PostCamille, on 18 August 2012 - 14:57, said:

this is starting to be the clearest for me with Babby's Ornament: 2 as the utter stagnation seeps through each and every of it's holes. it's probably the first time since i first started playing cod4 that i'm really not at all excited for the game.
Exactly this. For previous installments, they managed to at least make them APPEAR to be good, but with BO2, I think they've exhausted their bag of tricks.
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#44 CoLT

Cuboning!

• Project Team
  • 1611 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 15:46

Just dropping into this thread to say that I do not mean any offense to anyone who enjoys CoD. It's just that I happen to personally know a guy who thinks that CoD is the be-all and end-all of FPS games and I hate seeing every game being compared to the whole CoD franchise instead of being taken for what it is. Some people might enjoy the fast paced, fast kill type of shooting that takes place in CoD multiplayer, but it just doesn't appeal to me. I like strategically planning my attack, stalking my enemy and putting in the effort and careful tactics for that one kill. It just seems much more appealing to me. Hence why I go for games like Battlefield.
Although the latest (BF3) is a little questionable at times....

I hope that Black Ops 2 has a strong enough storyline. I'm more interested to see how it ties in with the first game, and whether or not it's really plausible. Don't really care about multiplayer, since I didn't really like Black Ops multiplayer.
Posted Image

#45 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 16:20

View PostCoLT, on 18 August 2012 - 15:46, said:

It's just that I happen to personally know a guy who thinks that CoD is the be-all and end-all of FPS games

Yeah we all know that guy, it's Chyros! :P

/itsajoke
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#46 CoLT

Cuboning!

• Project Team
  • 1611 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 17:22

Not that I want to double-post but...

Well it's easy to see differences between them as one is made by IW and the other is made by Treyarch, both of which cling stubbornly to their own design philosophies. IW titles tend to adhere more strictly to the core game mechanics while Treyarch titles are more liberal with them and tend to deviate strongly. This results in perks with a much less structured use and which generally can't be used to construct a purposeful class. Treyarch perks tend to have effects such as immunity to flashbangs, rerolling care packages and very strong Last Stand perks, none of which you can really plan to use; they just come in handy at random occurrences. A MW class might be a runner, which would feature perks that give you speed such as Marathon and Lightweight, an assault guy which would feature stuff like fast reloads and stopping power to help out at the front lines, or a stealth character such as a sniper or infiltrator which would come with stealth perks that make them invisible on radar and silent while running. These design decisions, making dedicated, purpose-built classes, are not possible in Treyarch games.

This part of your post is what I agree with. So there's no need to get all worked up about me not liking the game. I agree actually. I dislike BO multiplayer for this exact reason. It is unbalanced and a lot of unlocks/perks etc. were completely pointless, especially when the maps are either too small or lack sufficient cover to really provide any form of decent enjoyment.

I was actually referring to MW2 and MW3 multiplayer in that they are still far too similar and I find that MW3 seems a lot less polished that MW2. In terms of texturing and graphics, it just looks a little rushed sometimes. As though they were put together at the last minute.

Also, MW2, I did notice a marked difference in weapons in the game, however, due to the particular style of FPS that it is made in, I dislike it as well. So yes, MW2 might be better made and designed than MW3, it still is fairly shallow in terms of gameplay. You might say that the differences in weapons are what makes the game better than MW3, but then again Counter-strike also had weapons that were vastly different to one another. It still didnt have much depth to it.

I could compare BF3 and MW2 (as MW3 would be an unfair comparison since it is actually worse than MW2), but then it'd be apples and oranges since they are so different. However, I'd like to use these two to explain what I mean by multiplayer gameplay depth. The maps are varied in size and layout, as well as overall playing strategy required. I can play different classes (not to the level of customisation that Modern Warfare has with the perks system and so on) but I can also play different roles too. If I'm in a vehicle or I'm in a particular place, my role changes. If I constantly switch classes and play different maps, my multiplayer experience can be very different every time. That's what I mean by depth. Sure, Modern Warfare doesn't really have vehicles in the same way but the focus of the game is different again. And unfortunately, that is the limitation of the game that can lead it to have a shallow gameplay. Yes it is not the fault of the developers, it is simply how far you can really go with a game like this before it just gets silly.

But, I digress. It's an apples and oranges argument comparing these two games so I'll just say that I preferred apples.
Posted Image

#47 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 17:33

View PostCoLT, on 18 August 2012 - 17:22, said:

Not that I want to double-post but...

This part of your post is what I agree with. So there's no need to get all worked up about me not liking the game. I agree actually. I dislike BO multiplayer for this exact reason. It is unbalanced and a lot of unlocks/perks etc. were completely pointless, especially when the maps are either too small or lack sufficient cover to really provide any form of decent enjoyment.

I was actually referring to MW2 and MW3 multiplayer in that they are still far too similar and I find that MW3 seems a lot less polished that MW2. In terms of texturing and graphics, it just looks a little rushed sometimes. As though they were put together at the last minute.

Also, MW2, I did notice a marked difference in weapons in the game, however, due to the particular style of FPS that it is made in, I dislike it as well. So yes, MW2 might be better made and designed than MW3, it still is fairly shallow in terms of gameplay. You might say that the differences in weapons are what makes the game better than MW3, but then again Counter-strike also had weapons that were vastly different to one another. It still didnt have much depth to it.

I could compare BF3 and MW2 (as MW3 would be an unfair comparison since it is actually worse than MW2), but then it'd be apples and oranges since they are so different. However, I'd like to use these two to explain what I mean by multiplayer gameplay depth. The maps are varied in size and layout, as well as overall playing strategy required. I can play different classes (not to the level of customisation that Modern Warfare has with the perks system and so on) but I can also play different roles too. If I'm in a vehicle or I'm in a particular place, my role changes. If I constantly switch classes and play different maps, my multiplayer experience can be very different every time. That's what I mean by depth. Sure, Modern Warfare doesn't really have vehicles in the same way but the focus of the game is different again. And unfortunately, that is the limitation of the game that can lead it to have a shallow gameplay. Yes it is not the fault of the developers, it is simply how far you can really go with a game like this before it just gets silly.

But, I digress. It's an apples and oranges argument comparing these two games so I'll just say that I preferred apples.
To clarify, it's not that I get worked up that you don't like the game, that's fine by me of course. To each their own. My arguments were based on the statement that all the games are exactly the same which, to me at least, clearly they aren't in many ways. I would still say MW2 and MW3, in terms of gameplay, really aren't alike at all, as MW3 focuses much more on teamplay and working together rather than only making kills.

Indeed, comparing BF to CoD would not only be impossible, but also useless, as ones that like one will surely dislike the other as their types of gameplay are complete diametric opposites. One, slow, team-minded, realistic and tactical, the other fast, individual and arcadey. I prefer coD simply because I don't like jumping through hoops to get into combat, and value how CoD makes a player able to make a difference all by himself.

As for the BO2 singleplayer; I wouldn't hold my hopes for it. From what I've seen it looks like crap, is badly acted, and doesn't make any sense.
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#48 CoLT

Cuboning!

• Project Team
  • 1611 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 18:22

View PostChyros, on 18 August 2012 - 17:33, said:

As for the BO2 singleplayer; I wouldn't hold my hopes for it. From what I've seen it looks like crap, is badly acted, and doesn't make any sense.

That's what I'm worried about too. Cos for me this is the only thing that I was interested in. Meh, might wait for a steam summer sale or a friend to buy it and then give it a try,
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users