Specified targeting of model parts, possible?

9 replies to this topic

#1 CoLT

Cuboning!

• Project Team
  • 1611 posts
  • Projects: Untitled, Generation X, March of the Cursed Reich (Working Title)

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:36

Currently, I'm working on a walker and since it is quite tall, it doesn't appear to make much sense for units to attack the ground at its feet. I was wondering if there was a way to make units only able to hit its torso or something. I'm ok if it's just purely graphical.

I was thinking of using a bounding box and then adding it in as a separate object ingame, such that only the box is targetable and then the actual walker model is not. Has anyone tried doing this before?
Posted Image

#2 n5p29

Lurker

• Project Leader
  • 1417 posts
  • Projects: NProject Mod, Recolonize, Tidal Wars

Posted 15 August 2012 - 14:36

nope, will not work as the engine is incapable doing this. if you still want this, move to CNC3. :P

#3 CoLT

Cuboning!

• Project Team
  • 1611 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:22

Yeah I have looked through the module list and I can't see anything right now that might enable me to do this. But that being said, I will try to find a way somehow.
Posted Image

#4 Zeke

The X General

• Project Team
  • 3504 posts
  • Projects: Deep Impact (formerly EC)

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:39

maybe you can make the torso of the mech the center of the model, then just increase the locomotor height.

#5 Stalker

All Purpose ZH Modder

• Project Team
  • 568 posts
  • Projects: secret stuff.

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:42

I might be wrong, but aren't units attacking the center of a unit's collisionbox anyways, and not actually the ground? (as long as they have no scatter radius). Try Increasing your mech's collision box height. (I'm talking about those fields at the bottom of your unit's definition in the ini file, not about a pickbox in the model)
Posted Image

#6 CoLT

Cuboning!

• Project Team
  • 1611 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 14:27

Yeah, I'm using a scatter radius for almost every weapon in my mod. If I increase the collision box height, would the mech still be able to topple trees, crush infantry, etc.?
Posted Image

#7 Stalker

All Purpose ZH Modder

• Project Team
  • 568 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:03

Yes.

But it will be pointless if every weapon has a scatter radius. Your units will always attack the ground. (well not really always. IIRC if a shot "scatters" very close to the target it will hit the target(=the center of its collision box) instead.)
Posted Image

#8 CoLT

Cuboning!

• Project Team
  • 1611 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:40

I put a scatter radius in so that it'd be possible for units to miss the intended targets for a bit of realism. Unless you know of a way that I can achieve this effect (even just graphically) without using scatter radius?
Posted Image

#9 Stalker

All Purpose ZH Modder

• Project Team
  • 568 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:46

I don't think there is a good alternative for that. Like I said, even with a scatter radius, projectiles should hit the center of the unit occassionally.
Posted Image

#10 CoLT

Cuboning!

• Project Team
  • 1611 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:40

Just tested this. Yeah they do hit the centre even with a scatter radius. The problem was actually with the damagefx.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users