E-Studios goes IRC

17 replies to this topic

#1 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 19:19

E-Studios now has its own IRC channel! There you can talk to everyone you know here live, and generally joke around and have some random conversations. So join #estudios on the AcidChat network now!

How to join:
First, you need an IRC client to connect to the IRC server. For Windows you can get mIRC, it's free for 30 days. Or alternatively Trillian, which is unlimited use shareware.
Servers:
nl.acidchat.net for Europe and Asia (Link: irc://nl.acidchat.net/estudios)
main.acidchat.net for America (Link: irc://main.acidchat.net/estudios)
Once you're connected, type
/join #estudios
to join.

See you there! :wtf:
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#2 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 19:36

For those of you unfamiliar with IRC, here's a short explanation.

IRC is a chat service made up of a whole bunch of public networks. Each network varies in size, but is always made up of 1 or more servers. These servers are connected to each other within a network, so that several servers can act as one whole. In each network there are a lot of channels. An IRC channel is basically a room where people come and talk. But IRC also offers other features like file transfers and private messaging, similar to instant messaging services like MSN. But its main attraction is the channels of course, that's where most of the action takes place.

To use IRC you'll need an IRC client. There's quite a few of them around, varying in the features they have. mIRC has a lot of features, and it's reasonably easy to use but it might take a while to get used to it if you have no idea how IRC works. Another possibility is Trillian, which also serves as an IM client for MSN, ICQ, AIM and Yahoo, among others. It's more user-friendly but it offers slightly less features than mIRC.

Once you have your client set up, you'll have to choose a nickname for yourself. A nickname isn't 'yours' in that you don't need to register for one (although you can if you want, using the /nickserv command). You can just change nicknames without trouble. When you have it all ready you can connect to an IRC server. You'll get some text from the server and a text box. This box is where you type your text, but IRC also offers a lot of commands that you can use to do other interesting stuff.

One such command is the /join command (IRC commands always start with a slash) which lets you join a channel. So type /join followed by the channel name and you're all set to start talking!

For some more info besides this basic explanation, read one or more IRC FAQs online (hint: Google!). There's quite a few good ones that'll explain all the rest to you. Happy chatting!
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#3 retry_1

sniper extrordanare

• 2591 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 19:40

i dled trillian but couldnt figure it out but then i got mirc and understood it imediately
im in th chanel now all by myself
Sig and avy by yours truly
Posted Image

#4 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 19:45

You must've done something wrong then, cause me and killua are in it...
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Foxhound

Ain't no rest for the wicked.

• Gold Member
  • 2027 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 23:07

wooot!

and now I am.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 Blonde-Unknown

Mr. Muscles

• 626 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 15:38

and me
Made by Sic V
Posted Image
Posted Image
Made by me ^

#7 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 18:49

i'm a little confused, i've got trillian, now what do i do?

Where do i type and what do i type?
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#8 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 19:16

Go to Trillian > Preferences, then Identities and Connections, Add new connection and select IRC. Type in:

Server alias: anything you like
Server address: nl.acidchat.net or main.acidchat.net
Nickname: your nickname, choose anything you like (registration isn't necessary)
Username: leave empty if you like, Trillian will fill this in
User info: leave empty, Trillian will fill it in

Then, in the main Trillian window, click the white IRC button at the bottom and select 'Join channel'. Type in
#estudios
and hit ok. That's it!

If you ever want to type in any commands without joining a channel, click the white IRC button and select 'Show status window'. You'll get a window with all the stuff the server sends you that doesn't belong in a specific channel. You can use the textbox at the bottom to type commands (although you can also type them in a chat window).

To join a channel or execute any other commands every time you connect, click the IRC button and select 'Connection preferences'. Turn on the checkbox in the 'Perform buffer' section, and type commands in the text box. For example, to join #estudios after connecting, type:
/join #estudios
If you want to type multiple commands, separate them with a semicolon ( ; ).
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 Short Stuff

The Music Man

• Member Test
  • 1448 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 02:38

Omfg...Nuker Did you suggest this? THANK YOU MAN! YOU DO Listen...I suggested this to nuker just before i left on "Vacation"
Posted Image

#10 Foxhound

Ain't no rest for the wicked.

• Gold Member
  • 2027 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 04:58

I believe the idea was first had by CodeCat, but Nuker may have had some of it (all I saw was CC asking another mIRC user how to do stuff).

In any case, its interesting, if spammy.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 Nexolate

The Hated

• 3078 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 06:43

I'm able to connect now too...
Even though it's quite a chunk of spam in there. :wtf:

Edited by No-Skillz, 07 June 2006 - 06:43.

Posted Image
You'll only notice me when it's too late.
Posted Image

#12 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 17:20

Nuker had nothing to do with this, the idea came from me and (I suppose) Rusty after we had some fun in other channels.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts
  • Projects: Shoot. Chop. Smash. Stomp.

Posted 07 June 2006 - 23:18

Sorry Short Stuff, as CodeCat said, I had nothing to do with this. This is, however, a very cool idea. Now, if only I had a microphone.........

Regards,

Major Nuker
Posted Image

#14 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 23:25

What? Umm lol... IRC is text based, you don't need a mic. Just join! :pnd:
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts
  • Projects: Shoot. Chop. Smash. Stomp.

Posted 08 June 2006 - 01:26

LOL. Well, this just goes to show my knowledge of computers is a bit.........well........limited :dizz: . I might join....we'll see though.

Regards,

Major Nuker
Posted Image

#16 Nexolate

The Hated

• 3078 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 06:40

You ever been to a chat-room Nuker? This is basically what they're all talking about...

You just get one of the two software, punch in the server details and join the channel. It's kinda like 1 big MSN Convo that's always open; you can join and leave whenever you like.

Edited by No-Skillz, 08 June 2006 - 06:40.

Posted Image
You'll only notice me when it's too late.
Posted Image

#17 Kris

<Custom title available>

• Project Team
  • 3825 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 18:50

how the FUCK do i join using mIRC?

#18 Mathias

we dont need i to c

• 3831 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 12:40

Click the link on the main forum page.
Lifes a shit.. deal w/ it..its impossible to have a good day wow fuck this gay earth much??
Posted Image
Ask me questions about audio technical matters or DAWs!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users