Host a mod

• You cannot reply to this topic
17 replies to this topic

#1 Rumpullpus

Fighter Ace

• 2226 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 00:22

me and kingofwar are starting a new mod based off of a great RTS game called starcraft.
we are pritty new into this so we dont have much but we are always thinkin ahead. so i want to know if you guys could host our mods fourms on this website. it would be very appreceated since that means it one less thing for us to worry about.

thanks for your time

Edited by Rumpullpus, 06 June 2006 - 00:22.

another great sig from cattman
Posted Image
Posted Image
92% of people play as USA or China. If you are part of the 8% that plays as the GLA then put this in your signature.
you cant kill what you cant see :p

#2 Prophet of the Pimps

Masters of Booty Strike Force

• Gold Member
  • 11369 posts
  • Projects: ShockWave

Posted 06 June 2006 - 06:55

probably Not gonna happen. Blizzard is anal about starcraft mods. they shut down mods for starcraft and those based on starcraft. The already shut a well established starcraft mod just last year. Thats wahy EA is better then Blizzard.

Edited by prophet of the pimps, 06 June 2006 - 06:56.

Never underestimate a Resourceful Idiot
Posted Image

#3 The_Hunter

-

• Gold Member
  • 12402 posts
  • Projects: SWR Productions

Posted 06 June 2006 - 07:36

pimp is right your mod is probably going to get shotdown as soon as it gets populair.
Posted Image

#4 Kobra

Semi-Pro

• 225 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 18:15

Could you not simply change the names of everything? Since by now there are a bajillion units in generals mods with other game models etc

#5 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 06 June 2006 - 19:01

Why does blizzard shoot down mods? they should be encouraging the community not punishing it. And your not selling the mod so how can they shut it down?
Anyway back on topic, before getting hosted you need to show you know what your doing with some renders, screenshots ect. My mod has been in the works for about a year but only got hosted recently.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 Rumpullpus

Fighter Ace

• 2226 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 22:01

i agree with you ion which is y i feel like it should be tryed.
they can try to shut us down but there going to have to sue me first bilizzard does this because there afriad that a mod of starcraft will be better then starcraft2 and then people wont buy it. but i say if a mod stops people from buying your game the problem is your game not the mod. if people can spend there FREE time and make a better game then people who do this for a living, well like i said its not our falt that that game is poorly done.

but ya back on topic seeing how you guys want renders and ingame screenshots i think i will come back with this question when our mod is more fully complete so there could be no question on if you should host it.

thanks for the support i guess lol
Posted Image
Posted Image
92% of people play as USA or China. If you are part of the 8% that plays as the GLA then put this in your signature.

#7 Mister_Ninja

Regular

• 154 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 22:27

you are infringing on their intelectual copyrights by making a mod based on their game. Even saying their name in your mod is techincally illegal. technically a company can send you a cease and desist letter for simply making fanart of their game since you are using their characters without permission. However, most companies dont do this since they would look like total douchebags. (like blizzard does) a startcraft mod was already created for ZH and it was fairly good but blizzard shut it down. you dont really stand a chance, this exact scenerio has already been played out. Do what you want tho, i cant stop yuo.

#8 Rumpullpus

Fighter Ace

• 2226 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 22:34

ah the old David and Goliath story....
i dont care they can take my modding right from my cold dead hands.
personally with a good lawyer anything is possible and even then just a trial would like you said make them look really bad and might be enough to stop them.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 Prophet of the Pimps

• Gold Member
  • 11369 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 06:39

but the studio that host you also has to face legal complication. Also i doubt that the zerg civilisation can be reproduced in sage. the morphing part isnt really possible unless you modify some stuff. Like making the hydralisk get produced at the spire and the ultralisk at the caveren. But the orignal hive structure will be difficult to recreate.
Posted Image

#10 Rumpullpus

Fighter Ace

• 2226 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 20:22

ya your right it probably isnt a good idea but i dont know of any other good mod ideas maybe you guys can help?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 Prophet of the Pimps

• Gold Member
  • 11369 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 06:26

star of with small modification to zero hour would be a better idea to polish your skills. going for a total conversion is actually not possible at this stage since all modding activity will shift once /CnC 3 is out.
Posted Image

#12 Kobra

Semi-Pro

• 225 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 16:29

Hope someone makes a zero hour mod for c&c3, i don't like the whole tiberium thing..

#13 Rumpullpus

Fighter Ace

• 2226 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 23:12

prophet of the pimps, on 8 Jun 2006, 06:26, said:

star of with small modification to zero hour would be a better idea to polish your skills. going for a total conversion is actually not possible at this stage since all modding activity will shift once /CnC 3 is out.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you mean like you guys did?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 Prophet of the Pimps

• Gold Member
  • 11369 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 09:18

thats exactly what hunter did. he started shockwave as a personal mod. i think his first release just had 1 unit addition to the sides iirc from the read me.
Posted Image

#15 The_Hunter

-

• Gold Member
  • 12402 posts
  • Projects: SWR Productions

Posted 09 June 2006 - 09:33

kinda...

i started moding genrals (not ZH) in the summer of 2003 where i indeed started with very simple adding basic units from free downloads and such and reballancing some game values adding costum sounds (the emperor fire sound still remained from that early development with out any changes since then ;) ) and went snooping around on modding forums in 2004 (when i was blessed with a high speed DSL connection :/ ) and got to know codecat (know as Immoman back then) and Chrizz pretty soon after that and got involved with other mods sharpening my skills with every passing day (and i still do).

I started as a simple coder and basic 2d artist mainly making selection icons for units and buttons.
Near the end of 2004/2005 i learned how to make my own models and skins seeing chrizz thought me the basics of exporting and importing models and how to modify uvmaps which got me started with 3d art.
through a other mod i was helping i also got to know SoulReaver who i own a big deal of my modeling and skill skills

From there i finaly decided that i should release a version of my mod to the public (0.8) and shortly before that deathstrike jumped in the band wagon and helped me out with mapping an scripting things originaly but also started helping with other things eventualy coding almost all newly added things of 0.9 becouse i was unable to do that myself becouse of a various things in RL i had to do.

and from there on the forum and mod grew more populair and bigger.

so yea that's my modding history :D
Posted Image

#16 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 09 June 2006 - 12:46

Should make a new topic, post your modding history.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 Rumpullpus

Fighter Ace

• 2226 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 01:43

The_Hunter, on 9 Jun 2006, 09:33, said:

Near the end of 2004/2005 i learned how to make my own models and skins seeing chrizz thought me the basics of exporting and importing models and how to modify uvmaps which got me started with 3d art.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

what are uvmaps anyways lol.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 Mister_Ninja

Regular

• 154 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 04:58

It is the process an image of your model with all the polys laid in a flat surface, they come in 64x64 128x128 256x256 512x512 ect, sizes. It is also known as unwrapping a model.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users