multiple universes? uni means one :P

So multiverse xD

And planets with and without life could "approach" infinity

#27 Crush3r

Veteran

• 438 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 12:10

Bob, on 15 Jun 2006, 12:25, said:

IMO,i think that space is infinate, if so then there is an infinate number of planets.... therefore there is an infinate nummber of planets with lif on and an infinate number of planets without life on. I'm going to stop there before i confuse myself  :wahhhhhaa:
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Space isn't infinite. It's size has been determined: Diameter=14-15 bil ly. If you mean space by all the other infinite no. of parallel universes, then you could say it's infinite.

Overdose, on 16 Jun 2006, 01:24, said:

So in theory there's an end to the universe?

What lies in there? xP

I was discussing this with a friend of mine a few years ago, and we somewhat agreed that if the limit was crossed we'd just return to the opposing end. What if there were more universes? The human race might never fully explore ours and the thoughts of multiple universes is simply mind blowing.

1. If matter can cross the boundry and disappear into nothingness, then anything that goes faster that the speed of the expansion of the universe would simply vanish, but there is no evidence, yet, that the mass of the universe has shrunk.

2. The universe being a gateway to others, or back to the diametraly opposed location is pretty much unlikely.

3. The remaining theory would be that it is simply a solid wall, but even this doesn't seem to make any sense.

PS if you follow the link, at the bottom you'll see a link to a story about a pretty big gas-o-boose. :drunk:

#28 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 14:31

Crush3r, on 18 Jun 2006, 14:10, said:

Space isn't infinite. It's size has been determined: Diameter=14-15 bil ly. If you mean space by all the other infinite no. of parallel universes, then you could say it's infinite.<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, that's the size of the known universe, and its currently established age. We can't see further because the light hasn't had the chance to reach us yet.

Overdose, on 16 Jun 2006, 00:24, said:

I was discussing this with a friend of mine a few years ago, and we somewhat agreed that if the limit was crossed we'd just return to the opposing end. What if there were more universes? The human race might never fully explore ours and the thoughts of multiple universes is simply mind blowing.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's what's called the 'closed' model of the universe. Essentially spacetime itself is curved like a ball, which means that space 'wraps around' itself just like the surface of the earth does, but with an extra dimension.

Now, if the universe is infinite in both size and contents, this would break down a few fundamental laws of science. After all, if matter is infinite then energy is infinite. Which really breaks the whole 'conservation of energy' law, because if energy is infinite you can't even talk about the total amount of energy in a system. Infinite in amount also means infinite in supply, meaning that theoretically it would be possible to somehow infinitely extract energy from the universe and use it to power some kind of device. Which of course isn't possible, so by that reasoning the amount of energy in the universe is finite.

Another argument is of course the dilemma that if you spread infinite energy across infinite space, then how much energy is left per area?
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#29 Short Stuff

The Music Man

• Member Test
  • 1448 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 00:32

well i just checked this out....so you guys now...we are looking into the past when we see that fire ball...Einstein was true when he said u cant travel back in time but u can see back in time... Everytime u look into space ur looking back millions of years... Some times u can see before the earth was born! see light takes time to get here...it takes around 10 mins for light from the sun to get here...so we wouldnt know that the sun blew up untill 10 mins after it did! so that fireball is over 1 million or even billion ahead of what were seeing! so for all we know it could be....gone...in bits...or be even bigger! u wont know...

Edited by Short Stuff, 21 June 2006 - 00:33.

Posted Image

#30 Cryptkeeper

secret experment 142-2

• 4199 posts
  • Projects: shockwave,rise of the reds

Posted 21 June 2006 - 08:13

well one thing for sure i think its possible that even heavy element could be created in this thing wich means there might be new elements out there yahhh :/

but things like this make astronomy my favorite science

#31 Crush3r

Veteran

• 438 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 09:41

That thing is actually a loose ball-o-s**t bound (supposedely) by dark matter, so it doesn't have the density to create heavy elements.

#32 Cryptkeeper

secret experment 142-2

• 4199 posts
  • Projects: shockwave,rise of the reds

Posted 21 June 2006 - 16:42

i dunno in some parts it might

#33 Eureka Seven

Regular

• 162 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 00:52

when you really think about (dont think about it too hard or ur brain might explode) u really get frustrated because its not fair to think that there is so much out there that we will never know, and the fact that you can go on forever and just keep learning and never stopping( a perpetual school, a shuddering thought) only if god viseted or a ethreal being and told us the secret of the univers, just so frustrating to think we will never know.
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/RICHARDHOWLETT/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Shockwave%20sig.png
Was davey jones, shas'O kais

#34 Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 6796 posts
  • Projects: Sigma Invasion

Posted 21 August 2006 - 01:18

Dude did you check the date before you posted?
Posted ImagePosted Image

Insomniac!, on 16 Sep 2008, 20:12, said:

Soul you scare the hell out of me, more so than Lizzie.

I've been given a Bob coin from Mr. Bob, a life time supply of cookies from Blonde-Unknown, some Internet Chocolate from the Full Throttle mod team, and some Assorted Weapons from Høbbesy.

#35 striker26

Huh?

• 685 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 03:37

i dont think this topic is that old...

almost a month but thats not that old..

Edited by striker26, 21 August 2006 - 03:37.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thanks Bob For The Awesome Signature above and Avatar
Remix 3
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users