Apple's iPod faces patent probe

9 replies to this topic

#1 Prophet of the Pimps

Masters of Booty Strike Force

• Gold Member
  • 11369 posts
  • Projects: ShockWave

Posted 15 June 2006 - 14:21

Portable media player maker Creative Technology has said that US authorities will look at whether Apple's rival iPod player infringes one of its patents.

The firms have swapped patent lawsuits in recent months, but Creative said the US International Trade Commission (ITC) was now launching a probe.

Creative has asked the ITC to issue an order stopping Apple from marketing, selling or importing iPods into the US.

It claims the iPod infringes its patent for a music player navigation menu.

iPod pre-eminence

On Wednesday, Creative filed a complaint alleging that iPods infringe on its patent for software it uses to organise and access music on its Nomad and Zen-branded media players.

It said the ITC will refer the case to a judge who will hold hearings before making an initial determination as to whether an infringement has taken place.

The ITC normally issues a ruling 12 to 15 months after an investigation begins, Creative said.

Creative was one of the first companies to sell digital music players back in 2000, but it has struggled against the market dominance of the iPod since it was launched in 2001.

It plunged into the red earlier this year, blaming its $114m (£62m) losses for the three months to March on the plunge in MP3 player prices and its need to get rid of stock.

But it pledged to return to profit in the second half of 2006, saying it was renewing its focus on high-margin products, such as computer sound cards.

http://news.bbc.co.u...ess/5082162.stm
Never underestimate a Resourceful Idiot
Posted Image

#2 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 15 June 2006 - 20:20

How can you copyright a blooming music navigation menu FFS! All this sueing is just pathetic and greedy. Just because Ipod are more successful than creative. Greedy Bastards.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 20:51

the only reason the ipod is so succseful is because they over charge for them and people buy them anyway
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#4 Whitey

<Custom title available>

• 8743 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 21:35

Agreed, its all because its so pricey that everyone thinks they are so good, till they drop them :P

#5 AllStarZ

Pretentious Prick

• 7083 posts
  • Projects: Pricking around Pretentiously

Posted 17 June 2006 - 02:37

The biggest, most piercing question is...

Why the fuck do you need 20GB for music? I mean I don't even use that much space on my second comp.

Edited by AllStarZ, 17 June 2006 - 02:37.

#6 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 17 June 2006 - 07:15

I know alot of people that listen to 20gb of music, i only listen to about 5 myself.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 Prophet of the Pimps

• Gold Member
  • 11369 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 10:54

i got 500 mb on my psp and thats all i need. most of the people i know who have a pod dont even use the playlist featureand they stuff it with everything they have. half the time they are skipping songs they dont want to listen. i like smaller capacity. make you choose quality over quantity.
Posted Image

#8 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 11:51

My hard disk is 20 gb... :D
An iPod would be data storage for me :lol:

Edited by Jermies, 17 June 2006 - 11:51.

Posted Image

#9 Prophet of the Pimps

• Gold Member
  • 11369 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 13:44

well wait for a while before you even think of getting a new computer. vista is around the conner, so anything you get has to work on vista.
Posted Image

#10 domisgod

Jebus

• 569 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 17:28

I got a 1 GB iPod shuffle and I love the thing, sleak and simple. but the truth is I'm a music lover and could have up to 10 GB worth of music so a 20 gb is not unreasonable. I just think there are better MP3 players on the market then iPods. although my shuffle just recently broke and I went to the Apple store and they told me it was a busted flash drive and now I'm getting a brand new shuffle for free :P !
Posted Image
“Alexander wept as he saw the breath of his empire and realized there were no more worlds to conquer.”

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users