XCom

11 replies to this topic

#1 Jordan

Crazy Modder

• Gold Member
  • 2704 posts
  • Projects: C&C Crazy Mod Leader

Posted 15 August 2006 - 21:54

Anybody here still play XCom? I think it's a really good game despite the graphics. There's also a team making a 3d freeware version of it called UFO Alien Invasion.
C&C Crazy Mod Version 0.55
^^^^The True Crazy Mod Starts Here^^^^
Posted Image

#2 Raven

Ready to rumble

• Member Test
  • 854 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:24

Sorry for waking up such an old thread...but I think this is a good enough excuse :)

I've been digging around a bit after playing a bit of the new XCOM game. I'm not a huge turn based fan and only played CIV before for a turn based game. This looks rather interesting and according to what I hear is more closer to the original XCOM.

#3 Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 6796 posts
  • Projects: Sigma Invasion

Posted 14 October 2012 - 15:32

The Dr, Slye_Fox and MentalAss all play it and they seem to be enjoying it. Looks fun, but hard from what I've seen.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Insomniac!, on 16 Sep 2008, 20:12, said:

Soul you scare the hell out of me, more so than Lizzie.

I've been given a Bob coin from Mr. Bob, a life time supply of cookies from Blonde-Unknown, some Internet Chocolate from the Full Throttle mod team, and some Assorted Weapons from Høbbesy.

#4 Raven

Ready to rumble

• Member Test
  • 854 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 16:58

Are they playing XCOM or Xenonauts? Xenonauts is still in alpha I think, but if you pre-order you'll get the developer copy right away.

#5 Slye_Fox

FOXTec Leader

• Project Leader
  • 2351 posts
  • Projects: CnC: Condition Red, Sigma Invasion, Armoured Sky: Ethereal Dawn

Posted 14 October 2012 - 17:08

I'm playing XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Posted Image

#6 Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 6796 posts
  • Projects: Sigma Invasion

Posted 14 October 2012 - 19:25

Guess I of said so, they are playing XCOM: Enemy Unknown.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Insomniac!, on 16 Sep 2008, 20:12, said:

Soul you scare the hell out of me, more so than Lizzie.

I've been given a Bob coin from Mr. Bob, a life time supply of cookies from Blonde-Unknown, some Internet Chocolate from the Full Throttle mod team, and some Assorted Weapons from Høbbesy.

#7 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 21:50

It's amazing! If anyone is on the fence, I recommend the game, very enjoyable.

I lost my first game (ended in world panic and defeat) but onto my second game and things are much better. Check out my squad :D
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#8 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 15 October 2012 - 00:20

I will buy this, but now is not the time. Seriously, so few good games came out over the entire summer and then in Sept/Oct they release Torchlight 2, Borderlands 2, FTL, Dishonored and XCOM. It's like the world wants me to fail my degree :(
Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 Raven

Ready to rumble

• Member Test
  • 854 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:54

Damn!! want to buy DL2 and this both. From what I found out in my brief time with the game, getting 3 abduction locations at the same time is making life very difficult

#10 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:33

View PostIon Cannon!, on 15 October 2012 - 00:20, said:

I will buy this, but now is not the time. Seriously, so few good games came out over the entire summer and then in Sept/Oct they release Torchlight 2, Borderlands 2, FTL, Dishonored and XCOM. It's like the world wants me to fail my degree :(
I agree. I have started BL2, but have moved onto Torchlight 2 and I am not even going to start XCOM until I get to NG+. I also have both versions of the Witcher to play as well. There aren't enough hours in the day, let alone my day!

#11 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:53

Well I've managed to put a few hours into XCOM now and I am actually very impressed at how they created the combat mechanic in a turn based system. I have no reference for the difference from the first game, but I am genuinely enjoying it. A little bit disappointed at some of the abilities as most choices are no-brainers.

Obviously very early in the game, but I would recommend it.

#12 Gen.Kenobi

Set sails!

• Project Leader
  • 1170 posts
  • Projects: New!

Posted 01 November 2012 - 23:27

Well, I got XCOM too, and I enjoyed a lot. There seems to have been some discussions about the difficulty settings, with some claiming it too difficult others not liking the bonus given to AI when on hard modes like Classic - not feeling as classic - and Impossible (is quite self-explanatory). Easy is so easy that it hurts, but it's nice to start around. I started with Normal, without many difficulties, however, when the game started to pace up, I just couldn't follow - and you won't like to loose your squad members, somehow you get attached to them, a lot.

The game gets more funny when you start naming your squad after people you know and star making up stories. And it really makes you play the game more carefully, as you won't enjoy to get your best friend dead. :P

It's a funny game. I didn't finish it yet, though.
"The entire ocean. The entire world. Wherever we want to go, we'll go. That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what Tidal Wars really is... is freedom."
Posted Image

kudos to Pasidon for this awesome avvy and siggy!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users