Tesla Roadster

27 replies to this topic

#1 Rade

Veteran

• 443 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 13:20

Finally someone made decent electric car, and I must add really good looking.
Posted Image
Posted Image
some specifications of Tesla Roadster:
engine 3-phase, 4-pole electric motor, 248hp peak (185kW), redline 13,500 rpm, regenerative "engine braking",
acceleration 0 to 60 in about 4 seconds,
top speed over 130 mph,
range 250 miles EPA highway,
full charge as short as 3.5 hours.

Tesla Motors Company website with more info and pictures.

and one more intersting coincidence is that Tesla Roadster is unveiled in 2006, 150 years after Nikola Tesla was born.
Posted Image

#2 BillyChaka

The word is law. The law is love.

• Member Test
  • 4358 posts
  • Projects: stayin' alive

Posted 16 September 2006 - 14:10

That is AWESOME.

Edited by BillyChaka, 16 September 2006 - 14:10.

Posted Image

Ion Cannon in IRC said:

[19:11] <+IonCannnon> Basically, billychaka is a heartless bastard.

#3 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 14:22

^agreed
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#4 typhoon2

Semi-Pro

• 266 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 15:32

that was made by some ex loutus engineers also what about this one?!? it has been out far longer than the telsa but i will not mention price :)

Posted Image

but hey i like both YAY electric cars :)

-typhoon2
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
^only in games :P^

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

#5 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts
  • Projects: Shoot. Chop. Smash. Stomp.

Posted 16 September 2006 - 15:56

That's a sweet little ride, there's no doubt about that. Tesla is a classic name :) .

However, I still prefer a bit of combustion in my cars. A hybrid would be better IMHO. That's the only problem I see with that car. It'll be great for inner-city commutes, but you can't go on any long road trips. I am aware of the fact that it's a roadster and not a luxury boat, but even still, if you wanted to go cross-country in that car, you really couldn't.

Then again, if you MUST go fully electric, you might as well do it with style, and that's one thing the Tesla certainly has in spades.

Regards,

Major Nuker
Posted Image

#6 Mr. Mylo

The Transporter

• Project Team
  • 2334 posts
  • Projects: CnC Unleashed; CnC The Rise of the Reds

Posted 16 September 2006 - 16:13

awesome... i agree to all your opinions
^^
hellfurt
Posted Image
sig by the_Dr - you are the best
Posted Image
here look at my artwork: KLICK ME
Posted Image

#7 Whitey

<Custom title available>

• 8743 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 16:52

I love it :)

Now get me my electric humvee :(

#8 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 17:31

hawt :) I can't belive that things electric.

#9 Mathias

we dont need i to c

• 3831 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 18:53

Niiice. I wonder how the engine sounds.
Lifes a shit.. deal w/ it..its impossible to have a good day wow fuck this gay earth much??
Posted Image
Ask me questions about audio technical matters or DAWs!

#10 Cryptkeeper

secret experment 142-2

• 4199 posts
  • Projects: shockwave,rise of the reds

Posted 16 September 2006 - 19:40

omfg oh yes these are my type of car

#11 AllStarZ

Pretentious Prick

• 7083 posts
  • Projects: Pricking around Pretentiously

Posted 16 September 2006 - 23:44

Major Nuker, on 16 Sep 2006, 11:56, said:

However, I still prefer a bit of combustion in my cars. A hybrid would be better IMHO. That's the only problem I see with that car. It'll be great for inner-city commutes, but you can't go on any long road trips. I am aware of the fact that it's a roadster and not a luxury boat, but even still, if you wanted to go cross-country in that car, you really couldn't.

Electric cars are really capable of covering the same distance as automobiles without fuel cells. The big problem is that there are not enough places to recharge.

#12 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 05:10

I'm not doubting the capability of electric cars. I know they are capable cars, BUT they just don't have the range of a combustion engine right now (single tank of gas vs. single charge).

Name me one electric car that can go 300-500 miles on a single charge. For most electric cars, go over 100 miles one direction, and you're not getting home unless there's a recharge area nearby.

Hybrids are better IMO, because they have a power source to fall back on, in case the batteries die.

Regards,

Major Nuker
Posted Image

#13 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 05:12

Hydro Fuel Cell FTW.

By the way, nice car :)
`

Posted Image

#14 AllStarZ

Pretentious Prick

• 7083 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 14:18

Major Nuker, on 17 Sep 2006, 01:10, said:

I'm not doubting the capability of electric cars. I know they are capable cars, BUT they just don't have the range of a combustion engine right now (single tank of gas vs. single charge).

Name me one electric car that can go 300-500 miles on a single charge. For most electric cars, go over 100 miles one direction, and you're not getting home unless there's a recharge area nearby.

Hybrids are better IMO, because they have a power source to fall back on, in case the batteries die.

Regards,

Major Nuker

Well...

The range of a BEV depends on the number and type of batteries used, and the performance demands of the driver. The weight and type of vehicle also have an impact just as they do on the mileage of traditional vehicles. Electric vehicle conversions usually use lead-acid batteries because they are the most available and inexpensive. Such conversions generally have a range of 20 to 50 miles (30 to 80 km). Production EVs with lead-acid batteries are capable of up to 80 miles (130 km) per charge. NiMH batteries have higher energy density and may deliver up to 120 miles (200 km) of range. New lithium-ion battery-equipped EVs provide 250-300 miles (400-500 km) of range per charge. [16] Finding the balance of range versus performance, battery capacity versus weight, and battery type versus cost challenges every EV manufacturer.

EVs can also use pusher trailers or genset trailers in order to function as a hybrid vehicle for occasions when extended range is desired without the additional weight during normal short range use. Such vehicles become internal combustion engine-powered when utilizing their trailer, allowing greater range that may be needed for longer trips.

Wikipedia. Ahh I learn from you and I teach you.

The problem is that car manufacturers really did hold the electric car back. Many car companies work with gas companies, who will likely insist that they hold all development projects into alternative methods of propulsion. The electric car has existed since the 1890s, but died out. Why? It was held back.

Edited by AllStarZ, 17 September 2006 - 14:21.

#15 Cryptkeeper

secret experment 142-2

• 4199 posts
  • Projects: shockwave,rise of the reds

Posted 18 September 2006 - 05:08

yep but also beuase gas was cheap back then too and more cost effective for the companies but now there realizing there in sinking ship so there finaly coming out of the shell abit

#16 AllStarZ

Pretentious Prick

• 7083 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 05:09

IT does have its role to play, but fact is that electric vehicle development was held back for decades.

#17 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 17:24

It may have been held back, but also, public interest had a lot to do with electric cars not being as popular. At the time, gas cars were cheaper (thanks to Henry Ford) and gas was more readily available. People also liked the idea of being able to just fill up a tank relatively quickly, rather than have to plug their car into the wall every night before they went to sleep.

I'd still prefer a gas car any time, mostly because I love to hear the mellow idle of a health V8 or the scream of an F-1 car. While electric cars may be environmentally friendly, I know I'd miss the roar of a stout combustion engine.

Regards,

Major Nuker
Posted Image

#18 Amdrial

Naval Wrenchineer

• Project Leader
  • 3047 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 21:04

The first thing I thought when I saw the topic name was: WTF TESLATANKS?!!?!!

and that is a really cool car.
Posted Image
The above signature was made by TheDR.
Posted Image

#19 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 01:27

One thing you guys may not have picked up on, and as I did a little more research, I found this out. That car is $100,000. Yes, you read that right. Lotus is backing Tesla, and I guess because a name as prestiges as Lotus is helping to make the car, the price has been set at such a lofty price. Sure, compared to some cars, it's a "steal", but for an electric car?? WTF?!? That's a bit outrageous if you ask me. If I wanted to spend $100k, I'd drop it on a Porsche Carrera.

Regards,

Major Nuker
Posted Image

#20 AllStarZ

Pretentious Prick

• 7083 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 03:13

Well hey, gas prices are currently fairly low, but if you get that thing, you will eventually save money in the long run.

#21 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 13:45

That's not my point. My point is that the starting price of the Tesla puts it out of reach for MOST of the population. I don't care who you are, 9 out of 10 people won't be able to afford that car no matter how much money they'd save in the long run.

Regards,

Major Nuker
Posted Image

#22 Crazykenny

Eternal Glow

• Project Team
  • 7683 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 12:51

Awesomeness, That must be the most beatiful electric car ever :P

Edited by CrAzYkEnNy, 28 September 2006 - 12:51.

Posted Image

#23 Futschki

Duh!

• 2835 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 14:54

I dont like them they are too awesome :P :D :D
Posted Image

#24 smooder

America's Rage Leader

• 1870 posts
  • Projects: Americas Rage

Posted 02 November 2006 - 18:22

Needs biger battery!!
:D

#25 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 17:22

Importance lies inside , doing beautiful looking cars are child works nowadays :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users