Top 10 Combat Rifles

104 replies to this topic

#101 Eddy01741

E-Studios Uber Computer Geek

• 2223 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 23:06

THe ak isn't that inaccurate, or at least not to the extent that say it is, I mean, it can still hit targets at a fair range (300 meters or so), it's not like people say (can't hit a side of a barn). It's just that when your dealing with poorly trained armies, or conscript based armies, or just gangs/mobs using them, it seems the accuracy is very low.
Posted Image

#102 DerKrieger

Hillbilly Gun Nut

• 1758 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 01:44

The M-16 gets a bad rap...Let's look at the facts: The Air Police grabbed it under direction from General Curtis leMay. Upon seeing it in Vietnam, the Green Berets, SEALs, and SAS jumped on it, to be followed by the Singaporean Special Forces and the Israelis. It soon became standard. Certainly, there were problems early on, in part because the limpwristed twits in Army Logistics made changes to the weapon and ammo without consulting with the designer, Eugene Stoner. The USMC were called in to remedy some of those flaws with the M16A2.

It works well in the desert, as long as it's not overlubed—the direct gas system blows dust out with every shot. All myths aside, the 5.56 mm round has killed a LOT of losers who thought they could screw with Americans and come out ahead. If anyone doubts it, I have a standing offer to meet them at 500 yards and we'll swap fire. I get to shoot first. At 500 yards, a 5.56mm still packs more energy than a .45 ACP does at the muzzle. That's plenty of power. And it's not a sniper rifle. You should not be engaging at that range with an assault rifle. It's made to be light, deadly and face-to-face.

What can you do with this rifle? What CAN'T you do with it? It can be converted to .22, 6mm, 6.8mm, .300 Fireball, 9mm, .50 Beowulf. All you have to do is press two pins and swap upper receivers. You can have anything from a 6" pistol to a 24" match rifle in a matter of minutes. It can be equipped with scopes, sights, lights, lasers, grips, slings, counterweights, pouches, compartments, underslung launchers and shotguns, bayonets and probably a kitchen sink. The USMC is impressed enough to have designed an M16A4 and plans to carry it for some time. At 45 years and counting, it holds the record for rifle service life in the US military, was and still is the rifle of choice of several elite units. Third world peasants carry AK47s. Elite experts carry M-16s.
Funny article lampooning some AR-15/M-16 critics: http://www.michaelzw...m/rants/m16.php

Edited by Razgriz 1, 02 February 2007 - 03:32.

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."-- George S. Patton
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#103 LCPL Carrow

You want my guns? Come take 'em!

• 753 posts
  • Projects: ZH Unleashed

Posted 01 February 2007 - 20:46

Oohrah buddy, thank you.

'Nuff said.
Semper Fidelis

0311 Rifleman

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
Posted Image
Posted Image

<Aqua> 0311 Roflemen.

#104 Foxhound

Ain't no rest for the wicked.

• Gold Member
  • 2027 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 06:45

And that is why the M-16 is tied with the AK-47 for me.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#105 Eddy01741

E-Studios Uber Computer Geek

• 2223 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 19:36

Yeah, M-16 is just tainted from 'nam, mostly because of the bad "sticky" powder used in the cartridges. Right now it's a very capable weapon, there are ones better, but what can you expect, it's 40 years old. Personally, I think they should replace some of the M-16s/M-4s in service with M468s or HK416s/HK417s. Basically, same lower receiver, but with a different upper receiver that jams less often, the M468 also uses the 6.8mm SPR round.
Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users