An Apple Has Fallen

34 replies to this topic

#1 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts
  • Projects: Shoot. Chop. Smash. Stomp.

Posted 06 October 2011 - 00:05

Steve Jobs, ex-CEO of Apple, has passed away.

Steve Jobs — the man who brought us the iPhone, the iPod and the iMac — has died. The co-founder of Apple was 56 years old. Jobs had been battling a rare form of pancreatic cancer for years.
"It boggles the mind to think of all the things that Steve Jobs did," says Silicon Valley venture capitalist Roger McNamee, who worked with Jobs.

McNamee says that in addition to introducing us to desktop publishing and computer animated movies, Jobs should be credited with creating the first commercially successful computer.

"Any one of those would have qualified him as one of the great executives in American history," McNamee says, "the sum of which put him in a place where no one else has ever been before. To me he is of his era what Thomas Edison was to the beginning of the 20th century."
Jobs was just 21 when he co-founded Apple Computer in his garage in Cupertino, Calif., in 1976. The following year, when Jobs and his partner, Steve Wozniak, released the compact Apple II, most computers were big enough to fill a university basement or came from do-it-yourself kits for hobbyists with soldering irons.

Here's the source: http://www.npr.org/2...jobs-dies-at-56
Posted Image

#2 ΓΛPTΘΓ

Ecchi Toaster

• Project Team
  • 923 posts
  • Projects: Spam

Posted 06 October 2011 - 00:07

Such a legendary CEO, he will be miss, Apple fans or not.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Awesome radio

19:44 - Chyros: I'm very harmless

#3 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 06 October 2011 - 00:42

View PostΓΛPTΘΓ, on 06 October 2011 - 00:07, said:

I beg to differ. All I have to say is good riddance, that's one less greedy fuck in this world.

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#4 Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 6796 posts
  • Projects: Sigma Invasion

Posted 06 October 2011 - 00:58

And not a single fuck was given that day, at least from me :tard:.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Insomniac!, on 16 Sep 2008, 20:12, said:

Soul you scare the hell out of me, more so than Lizzie.

I've been given a Bob coin from Mr. Bob, a life time supply of cookies from Blonde-Unknown, some Internet Chocolate from the Full Throttle mod team, and some Assorted Weapons from Høbbesy.

#5 R3ven

Veteran

• Project Team
  • 468 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:32

Way to mourn someone dead you guys. Anyways, RIP Steve Jobs, you'll be missed.

Edited by R3ven, 06 October 2011 - 02:32.

#6 Raven

Ready to rumble

• Member Test
  • 854 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 03:01

Most things about his innovations and business tactics are up for debate and I am not an Apple fan, but I respect his ability to make things happen. For that I respect him.

#7 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 03:10

Might not be a fan of Apple, but...rest in peace, Steve Jobs.
Posted Image

#8 Krieger22

Semi-Pro

• 224 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 03:25

I never really saw the appeal despite owning an iPod Touch, but, rest in peace, Mr. Jobs. Seems like the world has lost a lot of icons these few years...

Sareen said:

NOOO NO NO NO NO NO NOOOO ...*closes ears* lalalala that never happened!

#9 Ghostrider

Duly Appointed Federal Marshal

• Project Team
  • 991 posts
  • Projects: The Pants Party, Irradiated Inc.

Posted 06 October 2011 - 04:06

View PostCJ, on 06 October 2011 - 00:42, said:

I beg to differ. All I have to say is good riddance, that's one less greedy fuck in this world.

I'm not an Apple fanboy, but lighten up, geez. The guy died after all, have some respect. :P

And there is no doubt Steve Jobs was a legendary CEO. He took a dying company and turned it around into one of the most well known and prosperous companies in existence. Not to mention the fact that he created an incredible brand image for the company along the way. :tard:
Posted Image
AJ is responsible for this signature masterpiece... if you see him, tell him I say thanks.
Posted Image

#10 Zeke

The X General

• Project Team
  • 3504 posts
  • Projects: Deep Impact (formerly EC)

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:06

Also if it weren't for him, we wouldn't have the PC as we know it today.

RIP

#11 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:34

View PostGhostrider, on 06 October 2011 - 04:06, said:

I'm not an Apple fanboy, but lighten up, geez. The guy died after all, have some respect. :P

And there is no doubt Steve Jobs was a legendary CEO. He took a dying company and turned it around into one of the most well known and prosperous companies in existence. Not to mention the fact that he created an incredible brand image for the company along the way. :tard:

It's not a question of whether he's dead or not, seriously. The fact that someone died doesn't change what he did during the time he spent alive.

#12 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:10

Yes, d

View PostCJ, on 06 October 2011 - 08:34, said:

View PostGhostrider, on 06 October 2011 - 04:06, said:

It's not a question of whether he's dead or not, seriously. The fact that someone died doesn't change what he did during the time he spent alive.
Yeah, doesn't change the fact he pioneered the personal computer or took a company from the brink of collapse into the most valuable company in the world.
<87

Posted Image

#13 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:22

Pioneered the personal computer? Did he hell, he took all that from Xerox. He was a good CEO, but I do not agree with the way apple runs or the way he ran it.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:06

I dunno about you Alias, but I personally consider Bill Gates to be the true pioneer when it comes to personal computers. Not to mention that Steve Jobs was greedy and doesn't even donate money to some charity despite making billions each day.
Not to mention that the newest Apple products are basically copies of what existed long before, with an apple logo on them, and costing 4 times more. I hardly call that pioneering.

I am as saddened by his death that I would be by the death of Kotick.

#15 deltaepsilon

Delta Operator

• Member Test
  • 859 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:33

Found this somewhere:

Apple expressed disappointment that its model of CEO had demonstrated only around 70% of the battery life of its competitors. However, it noted that it had created one of the thinnest, lightest CEOs on the market and that it expected the newer model, Tim Cook, to have a battery life comparable to that of other CEOs on the market.

----------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------

The name's Bond.

Covalent Bond.

#16 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:38

I'm going to hell, I laughed at that.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 deltaepsilon

Delta Operator

• Member Test
  • 859 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:08

Haha, though it's definitely not as bad as some of the other stuff going around.
--------------------

The name's Bond.

Covalent Bond.

#18 n5p29

Lurker

• Project Leader
  • 1417 posts
  • Projects: NProject Mod, Recolonize, Tidal Wars

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:13

at first I heard he's dead from my friend, I thought it was a joke. but after seeing it in the news site, I still can't believe it.

RIP Steve Jobs.

#19 RaiDK

I have an Energon Axe. Your argument is invalid.

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 13:17

"Better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt."

A man with friends, coworkers and a family has died. If you value human life that little then just shut your mouth, you arrogant fool. Apple fans or not, nobody wants to hear it here.

But yeah, pretty crazy stuff. Feels like yesterday the speculation was that he'd stick on in the shadows for the next 5 years...

Edited by RaiDK, 06 October 2011 - 13:21.

View PostMasonicon, on 17 Oct 2009, 13:44, said:

According to Conspiracy theories in internet, sci-fi and fantasy are real!

#20 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts
  • Projects: Shoot. Chop. Smash. Stomp.

Posted 06 October 2011 - 13:23

I've read too many negative comments, and now a joke about Jobs in this thread. You gents are smart enough to know this isn't the place to squabble or make wise-cracks. Take those elements to their respective places on this forum and leave them out of here.
Posted Image

#21 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 13:23

View PostRaiDK, on 06 October 2011 - 13:17, said:

"Better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt."

A man with friends, coworkers and a family has died. If you value human life that little then just shut your mouth, you arrogant fool. Apple fans or not, nobody wants to hear it here.

It is my right to say whatever I think, and I could care less if people think I'm a fool for doing that. As of human life's value, millions of people are dying each and every day, I don't see why his death should have more importance than the other's when he as done nothing good for this world.
Also, what of I said makes me arrogant?

Edited by CJ, 06 October 2011 - 13:24.

#22 RaiDK

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 13:25

View PostCJ, on 06 October 2011 - 13:23, said:

It is my right to say whatever I think, and I could care less if people think I'm a fool for doing that.

Fantastic. And it's my right to say that by doing so you're being a judgemental, disrespectful idiot.

Seriously, either leave your condolences or don't. Have some respect, for crying out loud.

Edited by RaiDK, 06 October 2011 - 13:26.

#23 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 13:26

View PostCJ, on 06 October 2011 - 11:06, said:

I dunno about you Alias, but I personally consider Bill Gates to be the true pioneer when it comes to personal computers. Not to mention that Steve Jobs was greedy and doesn't even donate money to some charity despite making billions each day. Not to mention that the newest Apple products are basically copies of what existed long before, with an apple logo on them, and costing 4 times more. I hardly call that pioneering. I am as saddened by his death that I would be by the death of Kotick.

Yes, well, words can't really express how totally against every aspect of that statement I am.

Put aside any of what Jobs has done or not done, and you're still talking about the death of a human being. That alone is sad. Bring back in everything else that Jobs has done (whether you like or dislike what he has done) and you're still looking at one of the most enterprising, valuable individuals in the world over the past ten years. The smartphone, personal computer, personal music player and tablet market have all expanded massively as a result of what he has pushed people to do. The entire technological market has been propelled forwards by what he's done, and whether you think he's a money-grabbing 'fuck' (could you be more disrespectful of the dead?) or the greatest thing since sliced bread, its a near-enough certainty that you wouldn't have that smartphone in your pocket, that tablet beside you, or any Pixar films on your bookshelf to watch.

So yes, without him we would all be poorer. Think of the grand scheme of things, and realise everything he's done for you even if you haven't bought one of his products.

RIP Steve Jobs, his influence was far greater than any of us could imagine.

Edited by AJ, 06 October 2011 - 13:27.

For there can be no death without life.

#24 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 13:34

Well, what I don't get is WHY the death of one single guy who hasn't done shit to make the world a better places makes everyone on this planet cry about the loss of such a "visionary", while the death of millions of humans for greater and more noble causes makes the same people go "meh, who cares?"
You guys talk about the value of life? I find that quite ironic when I see that few of you posted here to leave your condolences to all those who died while trying to make a better world, just because these dead didn't invent smartphones and didn't directly improve your own lives. Am I the only one thinking that's a total proof of these people's selfishness? If so, then I'm just fine with me being called a fool or whatever.

View PostRaiDK, on 06 October 2011 - 13:25, said:

View PostCJ, on 06 October 2011 - 13:23, said:

It is my right to say whatever I think, and I could care less if people think I'm a fool for doing that.

Fantastic. And it's my right to say that by doing so you're being a judgemental, disrespectful idiot.

It's your right indeed. And I could care less about what you're saying.

View PostAJ, on 06 October 2011 - 13:26, said:

its a near-enough certainty that you wouldn't have that smartphone in your pocket, that tablet beside you, or any Pixar films on your bookshelf to watch.

Funnily enough, I have none of these things.

Anyway, I think I'm going to stay away from this topic so I don't hurt you people's feelings by "disrespecting the dead"
But what I'll say in the end is that I find it disgusting that a man who stole most of his products' ideas from others and who spent his life grabbing money is considered as a visionary and a hero, while someone who would steam some food to survive is considered like a criminal. This is a fucked up world we live in today.

Edited by CJ, 06 October 2011 - 13:44.

#25 RaiDK

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 13:41

Mate, just drop it. Don't hijack the thread into a moral discussion. You're basically falling to "Someone is WRONG on the internet" level trolling.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=8rwsuXHA7RA

I wish I knew how to embed videos on this new board...

Edited by RaiDK, 06 October 2011 - 13:43.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users