TF2: Increase chance more drop item.

30 replies to this topic

#1 MR.Kim

Insane Solider

• Member Test
  • 2740 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 02:58

Over the next few days we'll be removing all TF2 items that were earned using external idling applications. We're going to adopt a zero tolerance policy for external applications used to manipulate the persistent item system. Due to us not having a policy in place prior to today, this time we're only removing the items earned through cheating the system. Going forward, if we find users using external applications, we'll remove all of their items. If you're interested, only about 4.5% of the players in TF2's community will be affected by this cleansing process.

Meanwhile, everyone who took the moral high road will soon be finding a new hat in their inventory. We've also significantly increased the chance of finding any of the existing hats.

We realize there is a high level of demand for items, and we're still working on systems to allow you to find them in new ways (via Trading, and crafting duplicates into desired items). However, we need to draw the line at running external applications.

What ever they said, this is will be great and since some people using with cheating system. :P

#2 Warbz

IRC is just a multiplayer notepad.

• Project Team
  • 4646 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 19:57

Meanwhile, everyone who took the moral high road will soon be finding a new hat in their inventory.
Win.

Posted Image

#3 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 11 September 2009 - 20:07

I got a hat from less than 20hrs play, I still have very few unlockables in fact. Didn't they already release the new hat though? The halo?
Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 20:10

I'm against their decision, but I won't really comment any further than that.

And before you ask, no, I didn't cheat.

#5 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 20:35

I've heard horror stories of people being banned from servers just for not owning the halo.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#6 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 21:08

lol all i know is that i went WTF when i saw everyone running around with those halos on their heads
Posted Image

#7 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 11 September 2009 - 23:00

CodeCat, on 11 Sep 2009, 21:35, said:

I've heard horror stories of people being banned from servers just for not owning the halo.

I've heard (and seen) stories about admins being so mad for not having a halo, that they replaced it by the "gay" word floating on everybody who had one.

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#8 MR.Kim

Insane Solider

• Member Test
  • 2740 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:58

Yeah, I noticed some people wearing with halo hat. Maybe it's some custom(mod) hats or something.

#9 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 08:19

Nope, it's fully 100% legit, this news is a week or two old now. Servers have been excluding those who have halos, or those who don't. Admins have been party to pissing around with the halos, and medics have been selectively healing those only with halos or only those without. Give it a little time and we'll see it all go back to normal I imagine.
For there can be no death without life.

#10 Nid

Human Being number 80446219302

• Project Team
  • 2501 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 10:07

AJ, on 12 Sep 2009, 9:19, said:

Nope, it's fully 100% legit, this news is a week or two old now. Servers have been excluding those who have halos, or those who don't. Admins have been party to pissing around with the halos, and medics have been selectively healing those only with halos or only those without. Give it a little time and we'll see it all go back to normal I imagine.

Kind of petty if you ask me, but on the other hand, kind of funny :D
Posted Image

#11 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 10:14

Nidmeister, on 12 Sep 2009, 11:07, said:

It is a laugh tbh, but when you get kickbanned from a server for having a halo, it tends to annoy you, even if you aren't wearing the damn thing. :D
For there can be no death without life.

#12 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 10:18

AJ, on 12 Sep 2009, 11:14, said:

Nidmeister, on 12 Sep 2009, 11:07, said:

It is a laugh tbh, but when you get kickbanned from a server for having a halo, it tends to annoy you, even if you aren't wearing the damn thing. :D

Luckily, I don't have one 8|
Also, a halo is synonym of death for a spy, as it is visible when you are cloaked which makes them very likely to get one of my arrows in the head while they're using C&D and waiting for an opportunity to kill me :D

#13 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 14:52

I joined Medics Against Discrimination. That'll teach those halo-ist yokels.

#14 Rich19

I challenge thee!

• 1478 posts
  • Projects: Duelling

Posted 12 September 2009 - 15:39

I haven't experienced any of this discrimination, tbh.

#15 KiraSama

Vago Profesional

• 2145 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 18:45

in all honestly, i find this is a childish move by valve than is actually breaking the tf2 comunity in two, in fact i wonder if they just wanted to make attention to the TF2 to get more sales and found a easy way with the idler

so yeah, they idle program was a external aplication, but it didnt grant any advantage over using tf2 and enter in a idle server there, the only difference was ram based

its also very "ironic" how when people used the achivement unlock they items just got deleted by a week and this is a deletion with no return and a possible ban in the future, for exactly the same "cheat"

and they just throw salt to the wound in the form of the halo, the rumors about the creator actually mailing valve about it before he released the application doesnt help in valves favor

i am really sure this wont had happen if valve actually made a system than encourages playing over "just being loged in the game", seriusly, this drop system feel so rushed since day one

why not release that trade system instead of making of L4D2 in a year valve?
Posted Image

#16 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 19:15

KiraSama, on 12 Sep 2009, 19:45, said:

its also very "ironic" how when people used the achivement unlock they items just got deleted by a week and this is a deletion with no return and a possible ban in the future, for exactly the same "cheat"

I can't find the quote, but one of Valve's managers said that the idlers got all their items back, except the ones they got with the idle program, and the ones they deleted Posted Image

#17 KiraSama

Vago Profesional

• 2145 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 19:50

Nikola Tesla, on 12 Sep 2009, 21:15, said:

KiraSama, on 12 Sep 2009, 19:45, said:

I can't find the quote, but one of Valve's managers said that the idlers got all their items back, except the ones they got with the idle program, and the ones they deleted Posted Image

i may not have expresed my self correctly

idlers may got their legal items back, but the ones who used the achivement_unlock it got ALL OF THEM back, even the one they cheated to get them
Posted Image

#18 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 19:59

Oh okay, I wasn't even aware of the existence of such a cheat, that's why I didn't get what you meant D:

#19 deltaepsilon

Delta Operator

• Member Test
  • 859 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 04:33

I wouldn't be playing on a server with such pettiness regardless.
----------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------

The name's Bond.

Covalent Bond.

#20 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:35

Team Fortress Blog said:

As with the first Left 4 Dead game, most of the TF2 team has moved over to help out Left 4 Dead 2 get through its final shipping steps. This time around, though, we've improved our process a little to ensure we can keep some people on TF2, enabling us to continue doing TF2 updates. We've been a bit slow on updating here, and there's plenty of stuff to talk about, so we might as well jump right in.

First off, a quick update on where we are with the character model and animation sources. After we got over our excitement of releasing them, we ran into a couple of problems:

* All the character modelers & animators are incredibly busy working on L4D2.
* None of our new .DMX file format tools have been released in the SDK yet, which are integral to working with these sources.

As a result, it's taken a bit more work than we'd originally intended. And to make sure that the work is being done right, we decided it'd be best to get one model out, if only so we could get your feedback on it before we went ahead and got the rest done. So today we're updating the Source SDK to include all the model and animation source for the Heavy. Take a look at it, and be sure to send us your thoughts.

Source.

Now this is just great for TF² players, I guess we won't have any update until L4D2 is commercialized :D
I'm a in L4D2 boycott mood now :read:

#21 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:40

Nikola Tesla, on 17 Sep 2009, 11:35, said:

Team Fortress Blog said:

As with the first Left 4 Dead game, most of the TF2 team has moved over to help out Left 4 Dead 2 get through its final shipping steps. This time around, though, we've improved our process a little to ensure we can keep some people on TF2, enabling us to continue doing TF2 updates. We've been a bit slow on updating here, and there's plenty of stuff to talk about, so we might as well jump right in.

First off, a quick update on where we are with the character model and animation sources. After we got over our excitement of releasing them, we ran into a couple of problems:

* All the character modelers & animators are incredibly busy working on L4D2.
* None of our new .DMX file format tools have been released in the SDK yet, which are integral to working with these sources.

As a result, it's taken a bit more work than we'd originally intended. And to make sure that the work is being done right, we decided it'd be best to get one model out, if only so we could get your feedback on it before we went ahead and got the rest done. So today we're updating the Source SDK to include all the model and animation source for the Heavy. Take a look at it, and be sure to send us your thoughts.

Source.

Now this is just great for TF² players, I guess we won't have any update until L4D2 is commercialized :D
I'm a in L4D2 boycott mood now :read:

Valve have been releasing shitloads of free content for TF2 since its release. If people start to bitch that they won't get any for 3 months or so, then that just reaffirms the premise that people are never happy.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#22 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:27

Ion Cannon!, on 17 Sep 2009, 11:40, said:

Valve have been releasing shitloads of free content for TF2 since its release. If people start to bitch that they won't get any for 3 months or so, then that just reaffirms the premise that people are never happy.

Yes, it would be quite incredulous if the TF2 community decided to bitch about this now after the seemingly endless support the game has received since release.

#23 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:28

A dozen of weapon models (im not counting the hats as 90% of them are all community made) does not count to the "shitload" of content....when they get the final 3 classess done than I will confirm that statement

but either way im not bitching about it as i play TF2 recreationally...i'd rather bitch about L4D players having to pay money to get their promised new content or forcing me to cash out 50% more dough to get a game

Edited by TehKiller, 17 September 2009 - 11:30.

Posted Image

#24 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:46

TehKiller, on 17 Sep 2009, 12:28, said:

A dozen of weapon models (im not counting the hats as 90% of them are all community made) does not count to the "shitload" of content....when they get the final 3 classess done than I will confirm that statement

but either way im not bitching about it as i play TF2 recreationally...i'd rather bitch about L4D players having to pay money to get their promised new content or forcing me to cash out 50% more dough to get a game

New gamemodes, maps, achievements, weapons. The only thing they haven't added yet is more classes. I would class that as a shitload of new content.

Oh please not this again.. Valve are about to release a new campaign for L4D1, they've also released a new gamemode and the versus maps for two of the original campaigns. Sure those two versus maps should have been included in the initial release. But once again people are bitching over nothing.

It isn't the norm to pay a one off fee, then get access to loads of free DLC. DLC is normally overpriced IMO, which I why I prefer full blown expansions. However as valve have so massively supported TF2 every moron now expects this to apply to everything.

Besides, L4D2 looks like a quality product. I don't mind paying hard cash for something thats well made and will result in many hours of fun play.

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 17 September 2009 - 11:47.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#25 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:58

Here Here!!!

*claps*

I'm rather fed up with the way people feel that it's mandatory to have a go Valve these days. Do people remember the days when if they wanted new content they had to wait for the sequel? You get what you pay for, no one is entitled to free shit just because in a press release a company gets carried away with itself.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users