Flood Control

66 replies to this topic

#51 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 03:13

View PostChris, on 20 Dec 2007, 14:09, said:

Flood control is good, But what annoys me is. EVEN EDITING Your Post triggers the flood control...-_-'

Are you sure?

I always use fast edit anyway...
Just use fast edit, and just like fast reply - the timer will be finished by the time you've posted your message.

Although I'm pretty sure it doesn't trigger flood control to edit, quite often do I edit my post to fix minor grammatical mistakes in the same minute it was posted, and I didn't get any flood control.

Posted Image

#52 Whitey

<Custom title available>

• 8743 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 03:41

View PostAlias, on 19 Dec 2007, 21:07, said:

View PostBoidy, on 20 Dec 2007, 4:00, said:

I find insurance to be overrated. Nobody should be FORCED to pay into it.

Then don't blame me if you have epic mindfuck if someone spams longpain on the forums.

I wouldn't blame anybody but myself. But I'm not disturbed by shock images, they are after all just images and can be rightly blocked out of mind. You speak as if I haven't seen said images before.

I wouldn't care if I had to clean the smut up myself so long as my parents weren't looking. Thus I feel that insurance is unnecessary in my case.

#53 Kris

<Custom title available>

• Project Team
  • 3825 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 06:54

View PostAlias, on 20 Dec 2007, 11:13, said:

View PostChris, on 20 Dec 2007, 14:09, said:

Flood control is good, But what annoys me is. EVEN EDITING Your Post triggers the flood control...-_-'

Are you sure?

I always use fast edit anyway...
Just use fast edit, and just like fast reply - the timer will be finished by the time you've posted your message.

Although I'm pretty sure it doesn't trigger flood control to edit, quite often do I edit my post to fix minor grammatical mistakes in the same minute it was posted, and I didn't get any flood control.

It doesn't always happen. But sometimes, The Flood control get randomly triggered when i'm in a rush to edit my post.

Edited by Chris, 20 December 2007 - 06:54.

#54 smooder

America's Rage Leader

• 1870 posts
  • Projects: Americas Rage

Posted 20 December 2007 - 18:52

View PostLλmbda, on 20 Dec 2007, 2:58, said:

View Postsmooder, on 19 Dec 2007, 4:15, said:

View PostLλmbda, on 18 Dec 2007, 22:59, said:

View Postsmooder, on 18 Dec 2007, 8:46, said:

View PostBoidy, on 17 Dec 2007, 21:37, said:

And if this is something to do with the reason yayo and zeke now hate me stay the fuck out of it.

Awww trying to win the sympathy of the forum and cause drama to get your point across? How cute.

I didn't even know about that until now btw. So it's not working.

I'm not trying to win anyones sympathy I just dont understand what your fucking problem with me is. And if you didnt know about it why did you say "aswell" So easily fucking influenced.

Thats all i'm going to say.

I just want to know why flood control was removed and now we have to suffer it again?

Surely over a certian number of posts can be trusted? and if not then remove that person?

#55 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 19:02

View PostBob, on 18 Dec 2007, 18:15, said:

We can't make affect people with certain post counts (apart from as stated by potp it may not be possible anyway) but also post count isn't an indication about the maturity of that specific member. For example, look at kacen, he had 2000+ post, which just proves anyone can spam. Similarly you cant go by member group, because project leaders have been banned/warned/demoted in the past, once again proving that member groups don't show maturity.

The only real way of doing this would be to individually decide for each member if they deserve it or not. This would be very very time consuming... and apart from that would cause yet again more tension on the forum. "why has he not got it, and i do!?!"

I still have yet to hear a good reason why it should be lifted anyway... What is wrong with waiting a minute?

Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#56 smooder

America's Rage Leader

• 1870 posts
  • Projects: Americas Rage

Posted 20 December 2007 - 19:39

View PostBob, on 20 Dec 2007, 19:02, said:

View PostBob, on 18 Dec 2007, 18:15, said:

We can't make affect people with certain post counts (apart from as stated by potp it may not be possible anyway) .. What is wrong with waiting a minute?

Oh I'm sorry I didnt know flood control was lifted for all members last time. If its not possible to lift it for the more active and trustworthy members then I agree with FC too.

#57 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 20:55

Oh and ignore the little skirmish me and Smooder had, we sorted it out over MSN.

#58 Golan

<Charcoal tiles available>

• Member Test
  • 3300 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 11:48

Please change flood control to kick in when actually posting, not attempting to start writing (i.e. clicking on Add Reply). It´s idiotic when you can´t use all those fancy buttons cause they don´t show up in fast reply.
Now go out and procreate. IN THE NAME OF DOOM!

#59 Prophet of the Pimps

Masters of Booty Strike Force

• Gold Member
  • 11369 posts
  • Projects: ShockWave

Posted 06 January 2008 - 12:42

We can't do it based on Post count because its not possible with the forum software.
Never underestimate a Resourceful Idiot
Posted Image

#60 Golan

• Member Test
  • 3300 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 12:47

View PostProphet of the Pimps, on 6 Jan 2008, 13:42, said:

We can't do it based on Post count because its not possible with the forum software.

Huh? Yeah, I know, that was said approximately 2781 times now, but what does this have to do with my post?

#61 Dr. Strangelove

Grand Poobah and Lord High Everything Else

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts
  • Projects: Where parallels meet.

Posted 06 January 2008 - 16:23

My 2 cents:

Generally, flood control doesn't bother me, because I've been busy reading the topic and writing my reply.However, it can be frustrating when you have like four different topics open in serperate windows.My suggestion is this, we could do it by warn level, or seniority.Because, a low warn level means person X wasn't caught spamming a lot, and seniority means that they've been with the community for such a while without being banned, they probably are trustworthy.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#62 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 16:56

if we cant do it by post count... why would we be able to do it by any of those...

also, if possible, Golan's idea sounds aright... but i'm not fussed since it doesn't bother me
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#63 Ascendancy

Needled 24/7

• 1293 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 19:22

In all my days on this board, Flood Control only came up once on me. Yeah, just once. So generally, I don't have a problem with it. I too am also usually reading a thread before I go put something up in the thread. Sure maybe not all my posts have been coherent or are sometimes not always relevant to the topic, but I do read them before posting.

If it keeps the board from having 3000 replies in 30 seconds, then I'm good with it. And since I've only encountered it once, I have no objections with it being in place. I can equate Flood Control to the 60 second wait on the Freelancer server I play on, Discovery Freelancer RP 24/7: If you try to switch characters while still in space and not on a base, you have to wait 60 seconds before the character you F1'd out of disappears, leaving you open to being killed by the NPCs or even other players. Sure it's a pain in the ass, but it keeps from power playing, just like Flood Control keeps from spamming. It's there for a reason...
Posted Image
Thanks to that awesome signature maker, Cattman2236.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#64 Sharpnessism

Custom title!

• Member Test
  • 2871 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 23:04

Is it possible to reduce the duration to 30 seconds instead of 1 min? It gets quite annoying sometimes...
Posted Image

#65 Golan

• Member Test
  • 3300 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 14:27

Why is this thread still open when you don´t intent to change anything? It was resurrected so often now that I wouldn´t wonder if some day it scourges mankind as the "undead thread of doom".

On a totally unrelated sidenote, the "you post will be viewed by a moderator [...]" message should really be displayed longer. It´s pointless if it´s only visible for a fraction of a second.

Edited by Golan, 28 January 2008 - 15:12.

#66 Warbz

IRC is just a multiplayer notepad.

• Project Team
  • 4646 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 19:03

I can see the validity in the argument of it becoming rather annoying, I often have several 'tabs' open in firefox as I browse the 'view new posts' and open them in new tabs.
Then I reply to one, then find that the next topic doesnt need much of a reply, or doesnt take long to read, and then I get the flood control message when I post.
I know you may say, "then look and read at a different topic.", but it will often happen again.

But also the fact that post count or member group doesnt validate the maturity of the member is a good point.
Kacen, as mentioned before, a very good example.

But reducing the time time of the flood control seems to be a reasonable idea. Even if only down to 40 or 50 seconds.
When waiting the minute to run out, sitting there waiting can become very fustrating as you just want to get you point of view posted before you leave your PC or go to do something else.

But, as these forums are not being paid for by any members, the most they can do simply stop using the forums, as they (we) have no real right to complain.

^Maybe my most sensible post ever?

Posted Image

#67 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 22:01

I'm gonna have to agree with Golan on this one...

:P
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users