planet sizes

28 replies to this topic

#1 Warbz

IRC is just a multiplayer notepad.

• Project Team
  • 4646 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 19:50

I know most planets vary greatly in size but this was a bit of an eye opener.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

pretty shocking, how vast the difference actually is.

Posted Image

#2 Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 6796 posts
  • Projects: Sigma Invasion

Posted 29 December 2007 - 19:57

Holy shit D:D .
Posted ImagePosted Image

Insomniac!, on 16 Sep 2008, 20:12, said:

Soul you scare the hell out of me, more so than Lizzie.

I've been given a Bob coin from Mr. Bob, a life time supply of cookies from Blonde-Unknown, some Internet Chocolate from the Full Throttle mod team, and some Assorted Weapons from Høbbesy.

#3 Jazzie Spurs

[Pantsu-Dan]

• Project Team
  • 4073 posts
  • Projects: Commanding the ECA 33rd Ground Assault Team.

Posted 29 December 2007 - 20:04

Holy shit, yeah, I cannot agree more.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImageBlack Lagoon OST
Posted Image

#4 Whitey

<Custom title available>

• 8743 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 20:18

Bah. So what? There's no point in comparing us to anything size-wise. There are things many times smaller than us too, don't forget that.

Edited by Boidy, 29 December 2007 - 20:28.

#5 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 20:22

we are small.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#6 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts
  • Projects: Shoot. Chop. Smash. Stomp.

Posted 29 December 2007 - 21:59

Boidy, on 29 Dec 2007, 15:18, said:

Bah. So what? There's no point in comparing us to anything size-wise. There are things many times smaller than us too, don't forget that.

That's not his point. But meh, what do you care.

For those of us that do actually have a mind to care, that's a rather humbling sight to see.

Regards,

Nuker
Posted Image

#7 Rich19

I challenge thee!

• 1478 posts
  • Projects: Duelling

Posted 29 December 2007 - 22:19

That isn't even the biggest. Watch this - http://newsizeofourworld.ytmnd.com/

#8 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 22:31

I saw this before but the sight remains humbling. A similar scale-awesomeness is downwards, to nucleon/quark scale. But that's a whole different story.

To anyone interested in things like this topic, I recommend reading A short history of nearly everything by Bill Bryson. It is a book written in casual style, understandable to everyone, with tons of interesting facts about all aspects of science, including astronomy, physics, geology, biology and chemistry.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 Rich19

I challenge thee!

• 1478 posts
  • Projects: Duelling

Posted 29 December 2007 - 22:33

Chyros, on 29 Dec 2007, 22:31, said:

To anyone interested in things like this topic, I recommend reading A short history of nearly everything by Bill Bryson. It is a book written in casual style, understandable to everyone, with tons of interesting facts about all aspects of science, including astronomy, physics, geology, biology and chemistry.

Indeed. I could not recommend that book more for someone interested in the subject.

#10 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 23:24

Size of electron - point like (it treated as having no dimensions)
Size of large red supergiant Antares 10^11m.

But the most amazing thing of all, the human race, us have found ways fo explaining them, predicting how they move, and even producing versions of them in a lab.

#11 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 02:50

Trivia:
Pluto is now longer not considered a full size planet, but rather a dwarf planet.

Posted Image

#12 Cryptkeeper

secret experment 142-2

• 4199 posts
  • Projects: shockwave,rise of the reds

Posted 31 December 2007 - 07:29

yah I know scales like this are crazy the universe is much bigger too then all of these in fact in my theory its infinite but thats another thing all togather

#13 Foxhound

Ain't no rest for the wicked.

• Gold Member
  • 2027 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 07:45

I read that if Sol (the sun) was replaced by VY Canis Majoris, the star would reach out past the orbit of Saturn. Very humbling indeed.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 Rayburn

People-Hater

• Gold Member
  • 4802 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 08:49

For some reason, this makes me think of The Galaxy Song from Monty Phyton's The Meaning of Life :D
"Makes you feel so insignificant, doesn't it?"
"Yeah, yeah......Can we have your liver then?"

I've always been aware of that but this makes it clear: For the universe, we ARE small and "small" is still too big as a word.
The universe is so incredibly huge that there must be other life out there...Where'd be the point in wasting so much space if there's only us?

Edited by Rayburn, 31 December 2007 - 08:51.

#15 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 10:07

UNiverse is at least, call it 27.4 Billion light years across (spherically), The solar system containing planets + dwarf planets (Pluto, Ceres & Sedna) + Oort Cloud + Kupier Belt, about 1 - 3 light years.

Humans have shifted about 250,000 miles in space, thats tiny!

#16 Areze

Gnurf Gnurf Gnurf

• Project Team
  • 2143 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 10:35

When there are fireballs the size of galaxies destroying almost anything they touch, you start to feel small and insignificant.
Writing Thread

#17 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 10:47

Where are these?

Seriously show me one, the Milky Way isn't a big galaxy and its 100,000ly across (IIIRC), bear in mind if you filled the solar system with water that would form a black hole so a star that huge would be something to behold.

#18 Warbz

IRC is just a multiplayer notepad.

• Project Team
  • 4646 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 12:58

Alias, on 31 Dec 2007, 2:50, said:

Trivia:
Pluto is now longer not considered a full size planet, but rather a dwarf planet.

IMO pluto is just a pebble in comparison to the other planets. lol

Posted Image

#19 Areze

Gnurf Gnurf Gnurf

• Project Team
  • 2143 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 07:55

Dauth, on 31 Dec 2007, 5:47, said:

Where are these?

Seriously show me one, the Milky Way isn't a big galaxy and its 100,000ly across (IIIRC), bear in mind if you filled the solar system with water that would form a black hole so a star that huge would be something to behold.

Do you mean the fireball thing? I read the article loong ago. I might be able to find it though. May have been on this forum.
Writing Thread

#20 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 10:20

Yea I mean the fireball thingy, it doesn't half interest me the sources for these sorta thing.

#21 Areze

Gnurf Gnurf Gnurf

• Project Team
  • 2143 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 13:44

http://www.theregist..._balls_of_fire/
Writing Thread

#22 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 17:31

Its a star formation cluster, moving at a huge rate, cool thing to have spotted.

#23 NergiZed

^^^ Pronouced like the battery brand ^^^

• 2992 posts
  • Projects: Shockwave and Rise of the Reds

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:15

That's pretty cool stuff.

Here's an animated gif of this kind of stuff.

Posted Image

It's got Canis Majoris in it, which I believe is truely the biggest star ever discovered so far.

#24 Medve

I thought it's a box

• 567 posts
  • Projects: Cnc: Untitled

Posted 18 February 2008 - 20:45

Well that's obvious. And now we say that the farthest discovered quasar is 18,8 billion ly away. That's even bigger. And Dauth: me and my physics mad friend are going to make a wonderful new way to find out the place where a quasar f.e. has gone in the time its light reached us. I hope you understand this :loels:. 2 problems are present:

1.: It's very hard to make because of the fact that the Hubble constant always changes the speed of the growing of the universe. The constant changes too slowly. Trust me, we're good at maths, but this will require immense skill. Maybe this exists, but then we find it out ourselves. And either way, we come to the second problem:

2.: Our distance measuring using the lights spectrums doesn't worth a watch. It says that all the galaxies emmit the same amount of light, which is impossible because then there would be impossibly big objects. This is going to go to MSN I feel.

Medve
Posted Image

#25 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 22:22

Ok very confused here,

Quasar f.e. ?

I'm good at maths, I have a reasonable grasp of Tensor notaion, and moderate skills at Matricies, however the jump between me and the people who understand this stuff properly is probably as big as the jump between me and someone who can just perform 2 + 2.

It says that all the galaxies emmit the same amount of light, which is impossible because then there would be impossibly big objects.

No, It merely assumes that objects emit light in the same manner (ie a star at 5000K here is the same as one at 5000k there)

Type 1A supernovae are special and worth a section in my corner of science.

Essentially over 1.4 Solar masses a neutron start forms from a supernova, below that you get a white dwarf. Should a binary system be a white dwarf and a normal star and the white dwarf is accreting matter from the normal star, eventaully it will supernova. These supernovae all have similar properties and this is how we measure distances. (Using the Hubble law, but a very advanced version)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users